Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion - 05/12/2012

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

First! The temperature is down to 0C now, so I can't see this turning slushy overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I'll start it off by saying It's freezing; well almost it's now down to 0.1c

Sorry just changed to 0.0c so it is now officially freezing.

Good luck to all wanting snow, especially those who are still waiting for it in winter 2012-13 and for those probably now struggling with too much of the stuff; stop being greedy and stay safe.

Posted

It's absolutely tanking it down in Newton Aycliffe Gavin, and it's got to be heading your way. About 10 minutes so far and everything already covered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It's absolutely tanking it down in Newton Aycliffe Gavin, and it's got to be heading your way. About 10 minutes so far and everything already covered.

Thanks Paul the key thing is wind direction, but I must say the sky looks threatening

Right on cue flakes are falling very small for now................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A693 High Street Stanley

Hazardous driving conditions due to ice on A693 High Street at Slaidburn Road. Callers report drivers are skidding on ice and there have been accidents. Lorries are getting stuck on the hill.

Take care if your going out folks its getting treacherous now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

Just watched the latest forecast on the BBC - tomorrow could get interesting for some. Shows rain over me though cray.gif

Temp really falling away now...0.2

Edited by loubie_4

Posted

I'll start it off by saying It's freezing; well almost it's now down to 0.1c

Sorry just changed to 0.0c so it is now officially freezing.

Good luck to all wanting snow, especially those who are still waiting for it in winter 2012-13 and for those probably now struggling with too much of the stuff; stop being greedy and stay safe.

Ha ha there's never too much! I doubt a few inches would cause too many problems anyway, but it's nice enough to look at!

Posted

Had some more snow but the sky appears to be clearing although according to the radar there could be a couple more. The roads here are appalling ,all iced up and as yet the main road to Carter Bar past my house has not been gritted. I advise all who venture out for the rest of the day to take great care.

Posted

Wow, what a shower! Some of the heaviest snow I've ever seen! Eased off now but its a winter wonderland.

Likewise here in Durham! An hour of snow that was very heavy at times, as well as some strong winds too. Impressive and the whole landscape has changed! When I went to pick my daughter up from school there was only a light covering on sidestreets... now everywhere's white - 3-4cm cover. 3 significant falls this season... lovely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The big snow shower over Newcastle and Durham is heading straight for Sandhutton but losing a lot of intensity- I may get a light to moderate flurry from it but it doesn't look promising here for much in the way of snow cover.

Posted

Think its time for a Yorkshire thread getting depressed reading about the snow least we can all moan in that the no snow club ;)

Posted

The big snow shower over Newcastle and Durham is heading straight for Sandhutton but losing a lot of intensity- I may get a light to moderate flurry from it but it doesn't look promising here for much in the way of snow cover.

It lost intensity over Newton Aycliffe and I presume Darlington. We had about 20 minutes in the end with no real depth worth reporting - everything is white, but it's more of a dusting than proper cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As expected, a light snow flurry with the temp at 1.9C. In all fairness, though, I hadn't expected the snow showers to penetrate more than ten miles inland, so I've had more than I expected, even though it's somewhat less than my old home region of Tyne and Wear has had.

For significant snowfalls in this area of North Yorkshire it seems that you need the cloud movement to be vectored from somewhere east of due north, though not as much of an easterly component as I had originally suspected before moving to the area.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

-1C now. It's dropping like a stone!

Tomorrow looks interesting, but it'll most likely be a non event at low levels. Friday morning could see a bit more snow though, especially inland though this time, and I doubt the lying snow from today will last that long.

Edited by Alza

Posted

A693 High Street Stanley

Hazardous driving conditions due to ice on A693 High Street at Slaidburn Road. Callers report drivers are skidding on ice and there have been accidents. Lorries are getting stuck on the hill.

Take care if your going out folks its getting treacherous now

Had a really heavy snow shower about an hour ago which is causing chaos on the roads round here,it

was quite windy with it as well with some minor drifting!

Hard frost here tonight.cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

been a nice and sunny day here but cold

now it gone dark its getting very cold temp at the moment is 0 oC and falling cant wait for snow to come finger crossed we do get some this time round.smiliz39.gif

Posted

Tomorrow looks super interesting for these parts.

Could see quite a prolonged period of heavy snowfall, if precipitation is as heavy as projected I'd wager evaporating cooling aiding snowfall potential.

I'd say initially all places should at least see an hour or two of snowfall, after that it's a guessing game.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Seems extremities of east coast. Very cold and dry inland here 0.7c