Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion - 05/12/2012

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Yeah - could be one or two light flurries this evening. I don't want the temperature to rise though so the snow cover doesn't go slushy and turn to ice! No chance of rain tonight with 850s of -9, rising to -5ish by daylight tomorrow, but an increase in cloud would certainly prevent the temperature from getting really low. It must be 0C or lower out there as the car has frozen solid.

Ill take the risk with this dusting in places...

Posted

Yeah - could be one or two light flurries this evening. I don't want the temperature to rise though so the snow cover doesn't go slushy and turn to ice! No chance of rain tonight with 850s of -9, rising to -5ish by daylight tomorrow, but an increase in cloud would certainly prevent the temperature from getting really low. It must be 0C or lower out there as the car has frozen solid.

It may well be below zero, but your logic is faulty. The car can freeze solid when the temp is a degree or 2. The temp of the metal car will be colder than the air temp.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The 850s remain at around -3/-4 tomorrow in NE England, so it is really just the temperatures/dew points which will cause problems. I'm going for a snow-rain-snow event, with most of the snow being quite wet and sleety. The NAE is forecasting that, and it is usually decent, although I can think of quite a few major busts. It nailed Sunday night though if I remember correctly, with snow in the far NE and a wintry mix for Leeds, Yorkshire etc, and that's pretty much what happened.

GFS suggests rain at 2C for me with SW winds which lead me to believe that dew points will be too high (the flow ahead is too moist) but i would love to be wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

theres two possible scenarios for next week: cold scenario is the easterly winds and the warm scenario brings mild weather from the south. http://www.bbc.co.uk...atures/20618018 Phil Avery explains the rest.

I vote for cold scenario.smile.png

Screw the mild scenario!! diablo.gifwallbash.gif

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Im making myself some icicles tonight as an xmas decoration since it so cold.biggrin.png its free too so you all have to do is to pour some water on the window ledge.

Think i'll join ya!

Posted

We still got a bit of patchy cloud lurking but I expect the skies to become more clearer as the night goes on, I think any cloud from the NW will most likely to be high cloud and perhaps something more thicker than high cloud by first light which would be the best set up in terms of having really cold temps and no sunlight to warm things up.

I think it all depends whether or not the weather front has got strength to make it over the Pennines as to whether we see snow or not, upper air temps is showing the cold pool to be a little bit more stubborn than first thought(I mean the -10hpa was only just out in the North Sea apparently) and whilst the mild sector is still there, we seen in the past snow can still fall at upper air temps of -4 or so.

Its fairly marginal but if we get colder than expected temps tonight because of the unexpected snowcover then who knows what may happen! I was a little surprised by today's events after waking up quite disappointed and with snowfall, anything can happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Think i'll join ya!

thank you! smile.png

Posted

What a cracking wintry day. Frequent heavy snow showers now easing with a good covering and approximately an inch of laying snow. Temp is now +2.6C with dew point of -6C.

Prospects of further snow for a time tomorrow before turning to rain and I'm sure the existing snowcover will help keep temps down for a short while.

And what about tonight's ECM?! An unbelievable run which in all likeliness won't happen but the potential is obviously there. You could stick worrying about marginality with charts like that!!

Brilliant!

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Hell it's cold! -3.1c here atm, looking good next week and the frickin ECM is the best run I've ever seen.....Trying to remain grounded for the time being whistling.gif

Posted

Wow just had a look at the ECM, we'll be in for a lot more fun if its anything like that next week shok.gif

Yes if the ECM comes off then we will get very deep snowfall, like the pic below lol

snow.jpg

Posted

those heavy showers are moving towards us...

Posted

Yeah, all these NE'eners are making me jealous.

Can we have the mild NW Thread back please?

Yes can we please? We North Westerners need to whinge us some snow in!

Posted

Actually a dusting everywere now due to those 'grauple polysterene balls' have fell must have been light shower passing over lets hope them showers can hit us now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Just had a light snow flurry, so keep an eye on those lampposts everyone! I have attached a couple of pictures from earlier - the car had been cleared just minutes before:

post-9381-0-71589400-1354739271_thumb.jppost-9381-0-08817300-1354739317_thumb.jp

Some more here if you want:

Posted

Just had a light snow flurry, so keep an eye on those lampposts everyone! I have attached a couple of pictures from earlier - the car had been cleared just minutes before:

post-9381-0-71589400-1354739271_thumb.jppost-9381-0-08817300-1354739317_thumb.jp

Some more here if you want:

http://forum.netweat...w-in-newcastle/

What you think of those showers alza?

Posted

the north east usually have temperatures above freezing because of the cloud acting as a blanket prevents the temperatures drop away. But the winds coming of the north sea helps the temperatures to lodge down.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

What you think of those showers alza?

I suspect they'll veer east when they encounter the NW airflow I'm afraid, and I doubt we'll see any more big showers moving onshore today. You're probably in a better position to catch them than me though!

EDIT: On second thoughts, that one near Amble could scrape by if it doesn't die first, most likely affecting the eastern extremities of Country Durham and Teesside. Maybe 1cm for whoever catches it.

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Whilst we all try and calm down after the ECM,in the shorterm there is a snow event happening tomorrow for some.

thoughts anyone?

C.S

Posted

I am not going to get excited I've been let down 3 times regarding snow this winter if I see snow I will be happy :-)

Posted

I suspect they'll veer east when they encounter the NW airflow I'm afraid, and I doubt we'll see any more big showers moving onshore today. You're probably in a better position to catch them than me though!

EDIT: On second thoughts, that one near Amble could scrape by if it doesn't die first, most likely affecting the eastern extremities of Country Durham and Teesside. Maybe 1cm for whoever catches it.

Id have that 1cm! haha got just a dusting here be nice to get a bit of measure to it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-3.4c, it'll rise later as the wind picks up from the W/SW... More rain coming :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

-3.4c, it'll rise later as the wind picks up from the W/SW... More rain coming sad.png

BBC show cumbria getting a bit of snow tomorrow upto 5cm,upto 10cm over the hills

C.S

I am not going to get excited I've been let down 3 times regarding snow this winter if I see snow I will be happy :-)

BBC at 1855 were going with upto 3cm for Greater Manchester area

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

thank you! smile.png

Maybe we can play darts with our icicles, seem if we can catch the easterners snowballs !!! Lol

Posted

Mega easterlies in the models, not sure if there's much snow in it for us north western costal dwellers, but I suppose you've got to get the cold before the snow...