Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion - 05/12/2012

kold weather

Posted

Whilst we all try and calm down after the ECM,in the shorterm there is a snow event happening tomorrow for some.

thoughts anyone?

C.S

yea i will believe it when i see it

Posted

I'm not expecting much tomorrow although I hope to see some transitional falling snow/sleet before it will probably turn to rain. The Saddleworth & Pennine areas might get something of a bit more substance though. I expect the highest parts in favourable positions may see snow all through because it's supposed to turn back to snow on it's back edge.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

By the way, incredible model outputs tonight! Shades of Jan 2010/ Nov 2010! The GFS is the worst, and that would give 10-20cm to the North East next week, whilst the ECM is insane and would totally bury the North East. We'd certainly be rivaling January 2010 or December 2010 with over 30cm of snow as the isobars are ideally aligned to the NE/ENE throughout. My main issue though is that easterlies often seem to sink south on the models as they get closer, and that leaves the NE rather dry. Fingers crossed for this one!

I'm sure the NW would get a decent snowfall too if a prolonged easterly takes hold with troughs moving across from the East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

-2 here car thick with frost too cold for snow

No such thing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I expect some snow tommorow but it will turning back to freezing rain so guess what? More Icicles!!biggrin.png so tommorow night I expecting layers of ice everywhere. going to be an Icestorm tommorow.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

Mega easterlies in the models, not sure if there's much snow in it for us north western costal dwellers, but I suppose you've got to get the cold before the snow...

Depends on the intensity and strength of easterly but they can bring snow

One of the heaviest snowfalls of the 1990s for Manchester area came in on an easterly

And there was the continuous shower train from New Year's Eve 1996

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Looking good for some snowfall over the next 24 hours,

7am as the rain pushes in from the West it turns to snow,

10am the snow showers head slightly more South,

Later in the afternoon it turns to sleet mixed with rain however I still expect some wintry weather over higher ground,

Thursday night more snow showers pass down this time slightly heavier and then by Friday morning another area of snow passes down South but this time more East,

Key

Blue Rain

Green Sleet

Pink Snow

Posted

I remember back in the late 80''s getting a foot of powder snow when I was living in Leicester, almost getting lost driving home from work as the city became unrecognisable. Rang up home not even a flake just bitter driving winds, but if it ends up in a battle ground you never know.

Posted

A cold winter's day with a notable wind chill despite winds being fairly light. Lots of lovely blue sky and sunshine after a frosty start, icy patches in places.

Another air frost tonight.

Expecting some snow tomorrow morning as the front moves across the western/central fells, evaporative cooling will take affect particularly as the precipitation will be heavy. How long the snow will last is the big question, anywhere with altitude in these parts could see a good few inches, whereas ground below about 200m might only see a slight cover before it all turns slushy and we end up with a cold sleety rainy mess.. we shall see.. it is a very marginal situation, but there is potential for quite a notable snow event in the central/southeast lakes.

Hoping for a decent day on Saturday, but that atlantic front looks too close for call and could spoil what was looking to be a good winter's day on the fells..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

what ya mean

It can't be too cold to snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

tricky working out them showers ill give it half hour and look again

Posted

BBC show cumbria getting a bit of snow tomorrow upto 5cm,upto 10cm over the hills

C.S

BBC at 1855 were going with upto 3cm for Greater Manchester area

C.S

That's interesting what time? Need to be up for this just in case.

Posted

I remember back in the late 80''s getting a foot of powder snow when I was living in Leicester, almost getting lost driving home from work as the city became unrecognisable. Rang up home not even a flake just bitter driving winds, but if it ends up in a battle ground you never know.

powder snow cant make snow balls with that saying thaqt give me powder snow anytime better than nowt

What he means is it snows in the Arctic when its -40, that proves that it can never be too cold to snow Simples!

shut it sergay simples

Posted

I thought that it had to be a certain temp with a certain dewpoint for snow ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

That's interesting what time? Need to be up for this just in case.

If you live near the coast don't bother it will not snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I live in manchester so not to near the coast :-)

Ok well you stand a good chance of snow tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

I live in manchester so not to near the coast :-)

hey, might see a lil bit for a while

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Still falling away here, -3.7c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

tricky working out them showers ill give it half hour and look again

It looks too far east now for either of us, and its moving slowly so it'll just fizzle out after giving Eastern Northumberland a sprinkling. If it holds together it will come onshore properly around Redcar/Loftus. Still, I can't complain today!

I've just been out for a walk, and I crossed a fairly main road which was still covered in snow, and sheet ice in places - lethal!

Edited by Alza

Posted

hey, might see a lil bit for a while

Welcome back matey, another winter another few months of radar and lamp post watching! :-)

Edited by cfallon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

It looks too far east now for either of us, and its moving slowly so it'll just fizzle out after giving Eastern Northumberland a sprinkling. If it holds together it will come onshore properly around Redcar/Loftus. Still, I can't complain today!

I've just been out for a walk, and I crossed a fairly main road which was still covered in snow, and sheet ice in places - lethal!

Dissappointing i could have used some depth to this cover ! whats tomorrow looking like? snow or rain or both?

got a driving lesson in the afternoon think it may be cancelled...