Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 5/12/2012 18Z onwards - the one after THAT ECM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

I'm sorry, but there will be downgrades, got to be, because if by tomorrow these charts are the same, or better even, then my lordy, people can really believe.

But, being a realist, you have to say, this is the highest of heights in terms of what you'd want from a easterly classic winter set up.

I'm prepared for it, believe me I am, were used to it right!

Come on, this can happen!!! Can it? Coz if this retreats, or becomes a complete and utter tease, then prozac would not be enough!

Posted

Do not worry about the 18Z GFS, its 12z and 18z have been consistant since late last week in going on two different tangents, it would be amazing to see the 18Z switch to something like the ECM but i feel for now it will keep singing its same tune. Its the ECM tomorrow that will be important and 12z GFS run tomorrow in my opinion. I hope i am wrong but i think the GFS will break a few hearts tonight in Fi but only because its 12z and 18z runs have been so different and consistant.

Posted

Frigg me! What an astonishing run. MIND BLOWING. Can you imagine the chaos that would bring to the uK, interruption to christmas shopping period, as it will be nearly running up to christmas, all sporting events football etc cancelled and travel and work chaos. But its fine by me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

The ECM ensembles may show the operational as an outlier right at the end, but on Thursday (T192, a very cold and snowy chart), there are still a number of members colder than it!

http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/Data/PLUIM_06260_NWT.png?6767676767

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I don't think Gibby is posting his usual update tonight but I could be wrong,

If so what a night to take off.

Has anyone got model fatigue yet?

If we get a backtrack now I think I would call it a day lol

Sorry for this been off topic

There's no report from Gibby tonight

PLEASE NOTE. There will be no report from me tonight but should be OK for the 00zs tomorrow morning. Lets hope I'm looking at a similar pattern this time tomorrow.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75105-model-thoughts-summaries-27th-nov-onward/page__st__40#entry2430765

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I have a little inkling that it may not be a downgrade! No technical knowledge at all here folks but overall there has been a good agreement about the models in general recently.

Posted

exactly RP. the ecm op at day 10 is outside it spread wrt to uppers. around -10c in the se is the current limit according to the ens. could someone please link the postage stamps so we can see how consistent the ens are at day 7 please. naefs dribbling out soon and de bilt in approx 30 mins. then it will be eyes down for the pub run and only another 6 hours from then till the gfs 00z is available !! inconceivable that the ecm op will verify exactly like that but then the 00z seemed to be crazy enough ! strange times. note that NOAA cpc have a problem teleconnecting the two strongest hemispheric anomolous ridges week 2 and go for the pacific one ahead of the icelandic i preference (for the time being).

and last week is nothing like this week wrt the output. ecm jumped ship with the newfoundland energy at around T168/T192.

Here you go:

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/catalog/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!168!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2009112700!!/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Even if there is a downgrade (chances are there will be one, simply due to the extremity of cold shown in the last run), that isn't to say we won't still get extreme cold - The ECM 12z has given us plenty of breathing space in that regard!

Plus we have plenty of agreement on at least some form of easterly taking place, it really is just the severity that is yet to be decided.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

If next week is to be, then the models will carry on giving, I see no reason why not? I've listened to some top posters in here, GP etc, stating all important signals are in place for blocking, way before these charts started to show, we have jumped some hurdles already that could have been spoilers, lets keep the trend going, and hopefully the detail is what we will be sweating on this time next week.

Eyes down then, could it be possible that we get an upgrade?

Posted

looking thru the ecm ens members, there are a few that look akin to the ukmo but not many. the easterly looks secure but the behaviour of the 'german trough' is what will provide the ammunition for any snowfall. that is where the question marks are.

naefs 12z update is, not surprisingly, spectacular. country in sub -4c air throughout week 2 which is very low for that range. the route week 2 is, as suggested by many, for the ridge to retrogress to greenland and the trough to drop into scandi. infact, the trough dropping in seems to be a remnant of the p/v migrating from canada towards siberia and splitting some energy into scandi. with the greeny ridge looking quite strong and the siberian ridge to the east preventing the trough from escaping in that direction, one wonders where it can go? se towards the eastern med or ne into scandi. with it held to our sw by the greeny heights and the southern arm with all the energy into southern iberia, this could easily take us through into the xmas period.

Posted

If next week is to be, then the models will carry on giving, I see no reason why not? I've listened to some top posters in here, GP etc, stating all important signals are in place for blocking, way before these charts started to show, we have jumped some hurdles already that could have been spoilers, lets keep the trend going, and hopefully the detail is what we will be sweating on this time next week.

Eyes down then, could it be possible that we get an upgrade?

I dont think it could get any better than ECM, as long as we see good agreement on stronger blocking to are NE il be happy,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I've just got home from work, and looked at the day's outputs, and then looked further into F1, and I don't know what the fuss is all about...Redbull stuff Ferrari, same old, same old.....mega_shok.gifw00t.gif

Posted

just saw Nick Miller sneak us into Sunday weather - that SW was certainly sliding down the North Sea!

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

It does look now that some form of Easterly is likely to materialise, but I would note that the ECM is at the extreme end of its ensemble members. That though is good, because the statistically almost inevitable 'downgrades' simply move things into space that is likely to be still cold. Far too early to look at snowfall, but should it occur, then the East is more favoured owing to lake effect. One point I would note from members earlier today noting that the flow may be slack from the East, this is not necessarily a bad thing. Providing the uppers are cold enough, then more time over the sea, is more time for moisture to be absorbed.

Just as an aside, were the ECM to come to fruition, we may be out of the here is some snow and frost and isnt it fun, into something that could be a little more threatening for some.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

ECM extended ensembles suggesting cold the form horse:

post-4523-0-02589100-1354743522_thumb.pn

The operational is an outlier day 10 - but up to that point well in the cluster and that cluster is evident for the rest of the run - though spreads as one would expect.

Oh and edit - no mild options and could the less cold runs be undercutting lows which could keep the UK in the colder air? Perhaps the control is?

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

Is it me or are the precip type charts getting blurryier? Upgrades regarding snow Friday though

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Looking closer. Here is Friday morning on the 18Z

post-4523-0-87227100-1354743905_thumb.pn

courtesy of NW extra!

Posted

Just as an aside, were the ECM to come to fruition, we may be out of the here is some snow and frost and isnt it fun, into something that could be a little more threatening for some.

... and especially so for the elderly, with demonstrable mortality rise in previous such scenarios, plus dreadful news for many businesses; for ordinary folk trying to go about daily lives; for those trying to combat and recover from recent flooding woes; and for varied wildlife after a dismal summer. So rest assured, just as many of our viewership will pray that something as extreme as the EC12z doesn't become reality as those who do, because for many it's not a funny snowfest yahoo but a deadly serious matter. And rest assured, if a few days of EC runs shape-up something of that magnitude, the UKMO will tell loudly of such - not least given it's key role in shaping NHS Cold Weather alert status and contingency amongst governmental departments. We're nowhere close to that yet and I doubt we'll be until successive analyses of EC and MOGREPS output through the weekend.

Edited by fergieweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I have just come out of summer hibernation recently looking at the latest models,cpc's,ensembles etc and one of them that caught my eye is this,not sure if this is the latest that has been posted in the strat thread,but it does look good

post-16960-0-76293900-1354743812_thumb.g

does this have the effect on what is happening next week?,i saw a post about this somewhere though that it has a knock on effect a few weeks down the line,is this true.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

What was it last night 41-51 solutions with a similar outcome...?? Stunning run so here are some more images, it deserves it.

post-7292-0-91011800-1354743164_thumb.jppost-7292-0-48798000-1354743603_thumb.pn

These more around the temps and anomalies and streamlines.

post-7292-0-72048900-1354743583_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-10378400-1354743632_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-62756500-1354743644_thumb.pn

Last few 10 days Ens runs of the 12z

post-7292-0-67377400-1354743949_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-50417100-1354743959_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-10113100-1354743970_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-25381200-1354743979_thumb.pn

And tonights thing of wonder with the GEFS counterpart.

post-7292-0-88058000-1354743993_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-42209500-1354744060_thumb.pn

Best run I have witnessed on here, that 12z ripped up the textbook and wrote a new one. Someone wrote that the 18z GFS follows the ECM, guess we will see in a moment !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Is it me or are the precip type charts getting blurryier? Upgrades regarding snow Friday though

Yes its very blurry hopefully it will be fixed in time