Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Some more intense precipitation is moving in now, it'll be interesting to see if it turns back to snow at low levels.

Posted

Interesting early Friday morning Met office has sub zero temp and wind gusting 40mph plus here. Still snowing.

A66, poor conditions at present

Wow - should be fantastic!

Quite a scene from near where you are!

http://www.durham.gov.uk/pages/WeatherStationDetails.aspx?station=49

Posted

Wet snow, Nick Prob 3/4cm lying. Friday morning could interesting with the strong winds

Yep - it's been a while since the last proper blizzard (not that that would be, but you get my drift) up there, hasn't it?

Fingers crossed for next week btw,

Posted

A mixture of wet snow, sleet and rain here, it keeps changing between them. The temperature is down to 2°C from 3°C earlier, but yesterday's snow cover has reverted to slush and ice, and the pavements/roads are bare.

Yep - it's been a while since the last proper blizzard (not that that would be, but you get my drift) up there, hasn't it?

Fingers crossed for next week btw,

'Get my drift'. Love it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

RAIN ALL DAY

Posted

Its definitely sleet - you can see slushy deposits sliding down the car windscreen. Quite a bit of grass uncovered now though, so I'll be surprised if there is any snow left at all by tomorrow morning, apart from my poor snowman's body of course.

Edited by Alza

Posted

Awful awful rain here like, only melted half of the snow around some of the quieter side streets, i was just reversing my car of the side of the road and the front end decided to slide round towards me neighbours wall luckily i stopped it in time LOL, stupid ice.

Edited by Andy163

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Its bad on the A66 at bowes tonight

A66 closed slow traffic, queueing traffic due to snow between A67 and A685 / B6276 New Road (Brough). The Police have closed the snow gates. Reports of a jackknifed lorry which had blocked the carriageway near Bowes.

Affecting traffic between County Durham and Cumbria. The A69 is still open.

Posted

A funny old days weather here today with a very icy start followed by a few light flurries of snow

then some strong winds around midday and then some light rain/sleet around teatime.

The strong wind didn't do the snowcover any favours,although still some patches surviving.

Looked good early on this morning though.

Still some interesting weather to come tonight i think as the low pressure

passes over the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Should be interesting for next week i have noticed people are saying easterly to kick in by tue or wed next week i think us in the north east may get in on the action mon morning and the cold never really leaves us for at least a week. I am anticipating at least 6-8" for my location and if the atlantic comes in after a week so what its still a pretty decent cold spell. My personal wish is for me to get my snow and then i wouldnt mind the high to sink over us as long as there is freezing fog and ice to preserve the snow thats all im bothered about it dosent have to be snowing solidly for ten days!!

Edited by Continental Climate

Posted

Should be interesting for next week i have noticed people are saying easterly to kick in by tue or wed next week i think us in the north east may get in on the action mon morning and the cold never really leaves us for at least a week. I am anticipating at least 6-8" for my location and if the atlantic comes in after a week so what its still a pretty decent cold spell. My personal wish is for me to get my snow and then i wouldnt mind the high to sink over us as long as there is freezing fog and ice to preserve the snow thats all im bothered about it dosent have to be snowing solidly for ten days!!

Our extra 20 metres up here in Gilesgate Moor must be worth an inch more than you, then! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very wet day over Cumbria with the snow reserved for the far east of the county, problems on the A66 heading east. The wind has picked up quite a lot this evening, expecting a windy day tomorrow and feeling chilly with it.

Posted

Here comes the 18z. Snowmageddon, beast from the east? We shall see... ;)

Edited by Alza

Posted

What a driech winters day as they say in Scotland - awoke to the lightest of dustings - which looked odd as higher ground was green - I think there must have been a shower early in the morning, very localised, still it ranks as the second morning with snow cover this season. I did think we might see a couple of hours of heavy snow once the front moved in, alas uppers were too high and all we got was very cold rain/sleet with barely any snowflakes, the precipitation has lasted all day and with a gusty raw wind it felt thoroughly miserable it has to be said. Reading the mountain reports, I think the freezing level was about 400m with snow only sticking above this height, though the shap, tebay area did see a cover at lunchtime at 250m.

The next three days will see snow only on the highest fells, so not the winter wonderland scene I had hoped for this weekend, indeed it looks a preety 'average' three days ahead..

However, next week should bring very hard frosts, probable freezing fog and the first widespread 'ice' days for many come mid week with the risk of heavy snow showers in the east of the region, and who knows if we see a small disturbance in the flow/trough feature some of those showers might make there way over to Cumbria as they did in late Nov 2010, early Dec 2010, but its a long way off.

Looking further ahead, interesting to see how the third weekend in December for the fourth year in a row is quite likely to be a snowy affair.... but unlike the last three isn't this year the pre-christmas travel weekend.

Posted

I hope the early parts of the GFS 18Z run just put a little caution to the wind for those who may be in risk of snow showers for the early part of next week, must keep an eye on those shortwave developments!

You do have to laugh if shortwaves do ruin another cold snap this Autumn/winter! I say ruin because we did recieve some snowfall but it totally ruined devlopments for

the end of November for sure, it ruined the October cold spell in terms of length when shortwaves entered Greenland therefore collapsed the ridge so quickly.

The 18Z may still recover(its not a doom and gloom run) but it is a bit of a warning before people start to get carried away by snow amounts.

Posted

Here comes the 18z. Snowmageddon, beast from the east? We shall see... tease.gif

I'm actually relieved that the model output is starting to trend more N/NE than Easterly, it might actually get us colder uppers.

It would be second best to the ECM scenario 12z yesterday, and could end up more like a November 2010, not bad at all.

Posted

I'm actually relieved that the model output is starting to trend more N/NE than Easterly, it might actually get us colder uppers.

It would be second best to the ECM scenario 12z yesterday, and could end up more like a November 2010, not bad at all.

Actually yes, deep down it probably better if we do get more of a Northerly element to the flow but I think the 18Z veers a little too NNW'ly, I see so often models want to place shower activity down the east coast on these set ups but they rarely come off albeit I have to admit yesterday events were a huge shock to me as I thought the wind direction would be too NNW'ly, how wrong I was!

That said, lets be honest, we would rather the ECM run too occur instead of the GFS 18Z for the first 120 hours surely!

Lets hope and prey the overnight runs don't follow the GFS 18Z path for the early part of the run, those shortwaves will just put me on a health alert!

Posted

The 18z GFS is still NNE'ly, not NNW'ly. The snow showers will get at least as far inland as they did yesterday, and the event could last the best part of three days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

The far north thread! Only place to be :D

Can't believe I missed the 6-8cm fall here on Wednesday, sickening!

16063_10152272239810134_1267872079_n.jpg

Next week is looking synoptically superb for the region. The possibilities that lie for the NE in particular from Monday onwards are infinite. Staggering.