Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I do like the cold weather......

Always to early dismiss winter even down here in south west, We are not immune from wintery outbreaks let alone any severe cold spell, Of course we don't know if we are to have such spell, Time will soon tell

It would be a change to see colder conditions after all this dull,damp and mild weather we have had. The last cold spell from last month did not really feel that cold tbh here,Princetown [and areas] had snow,but then it is on Dartmoor and you would expect that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold!!

If we do get snow then the body boards are out, much quicker than sledges, and I'm off up Kit Hill to surf the snow! I refuse to buy a sledge as that will definitely mean there will never be any snow in this area ever again, ever!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

The good news for cold lovers is the fact its only january 3rd . secondly its mild now and probably mild up to next week ,but iv had over the years studied past winters going back a couple of hundred yrs or so and read old diarys from the 17th and 16th centuries .and many a time a good snowy cold spell can visit us after a mild spell especially at this time of the year .just touching on the predicted S S Warming which is being talked about all over meteorological forums all over the northern Hemisphere and i would say its a very interesting science but in its early stages ,but some very interesting possibilities as this science as predicted already in the last severall yrs a couple of good cold spells .if looking at weather charts out past say 168 hrs they almost always change come next day but look for all modells ,as they say singing off the same hyme sheet .we might be in the s/west and south but we can be visited by some classic winter storms .iv been stuck overnight between bristol and exeter in 6ft drifts at minus severall degreas 6/7 cm of snow per hour withwinds over 40miles per hour .back in feb 1978 .january 1982 30cm of snow followed by minus 15c ,december 29/30th 62 , snow over our front hedge and my parents in 1947 isolated for 5 days in early march . january 1940 continuouse hvy snow showers and troughs coming in on a bitter n/east wind .enjoy the weather but dont forget whoes in charge and she can change like a quick change artist .Mother nature at this moment is gentle but it can change .cheers legritter .

Posted

Second one first:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Jet_stream

I believe that is broadly the case and it follows the sort of pattern seen in 2010 (although it may not give the same outcome!! laugh.png)

Ah, I see! It's the polar-night jet as opposed to the polar night jet. That makes far more sense.........I had visions of it doing something different from 10pm until 7 am!

Re the second bit.........I suppose it would have been too much to assume that if we have a soggy August to December, then we automatically get snowmageddon come January! Ah, well........ it would have been nice.pardon.gif

Thanks for the info, btw, Coast.good.gif

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

Seems whatever type of pressure we get over us be it low or high it results in this awful damp, misty, overcast weather.

Posted

We live in hope! acute.gif

I thought you lived in Devon? blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Go on.......be brave! They are only £4.99 in Sainsbury's. When I bought mine, yesterday, I avoided eye contact with anybody (but I could see them from the corner of my eye, looking at me!)

Just think, they may remember us in a few weeks' time and wish that they had had such foresight!biggrin.png

I got some funny looks when I brought mine in Homebase months ago but then a Smurf came into the shop and it kind of took the attention off me......

post-10773-0-09161100-1357230905_thumb.j

...I bet there will be a rush to buy snow shovels and sledges when the press start printing snowmageddon stories again, we all know it's only a matter of days angel.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Kept receipt with mine, can return it if unused [ when unused]

Edited by cerneman

Posted

Kept receipt with mine, can return it if unused [ when unused]

rofl.gif

patience_yoda-23672.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

what is it with all these sarf-eastern 'foreigners' invading our thread?....oi....get arf moi laaaaaand!

bomb.gif

Posted

what is it with all these sarf-eastern 'foreigners' invading our thread?....oi....get arf moi laaaaaand!

bomb.gif

We have sent a crack team in to cheer you lot up a bit!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

We have sent a crack team in to cheer you lot up a bit!! smile.png

yep, you lot are on something! laugh.png

Posted

yep, you lot are on something! laugh.png

Apparently it sends you Stratospheric!!!!

Posted

rofl.gif

patience_yoda-23672.jpg

As long as it remains unused, I'll buy it off you in March so it's then available for my grand-children in about 20 years time (such things wont exist by then!).

There's patience for you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

9.7c.drizzle and dribble.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

It must be time for a new one.....

Edited by MKsnowangel