Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - December 29th 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Hi MKsnowangel, Thanks for the pointer, deleted post and moved to the appropriate section.acute.gif

Oh I didn't mean it wasn't in an appropriate place I was just directing you to the other thread as well.... it's interesting to have all the observations in one place and not just in the regional threads....you can post what you like in here (within the forum guidelines of course) the rest of us do good.gif

Posted

Hi there hope you all had a good christmas and are looking forward to the new year. I got a weather station as a pressie and I was wondering how people fixed them up?

Which one did you get Jules and what functions?

http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/downloads/weather-station-setting-up.pdf

It's a beautiful day outside. biggrin.png

It's stunner really and too good to waste inside. It won't last long doh.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Very windy again here in Ippy but the sky is blue and the sun is out. :)

I felt a tad chilly in the night which is unusual, but seeing as I have a nasty head cold probably not that unusual. I feel rough. :(

Have a lovely Sunday all. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Mornin each. Very windy again here in Ippy but the sky is blue and the sun is out. smile.png

I felt a tad chilly in the night which is unusual, but seeing as I have a nasty head cold probably not that unusual. I feel rough. sad.png

Have a lovely Sunday all. biggrin.png

Hope you feel better soon smile.png

Posted

Haven't really looked into the technical bit of setting it up more trying to work out where to position it in the garden.

You need to get the anemometer up as high as you can (mine's on a long pole, but it should be on the roof if possible) and the heat/humidity sensor out of direct sunlight. I think the rain gauge just needs to be unsheltered. Send me a PM if you are struggling good.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted

I think chmape will recognise these pictures as it's almost in his back garden. The rec' behind Pevensey Castle this afternoon, or community swimming pool as it is now known as:

post-6667-0-58548200-1356879863_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-64671700-1356879873_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-22627700-1356879883_thumb.jp

Even the Romans would have struggled this year!

post-6667-0-92116600-1356879835_thumb.jp

Posted

You need to get the anemometer up as high as you can (mine's on a long pole, but it should be on the roof if possible) and the heat/humidity sensor out of direct sunlight. I think the rain gauge just needs to be unsheltered. Send me a PM if you are struggling good.gif

I also got this weather station for crimbo from my darling wife..

i have set mine at the bottom of my garden on a pole about 10ft up, the station is in full sun and it is reading the same temp as my other sensor which is positioned in the shade.., so i guess you can install in full sun!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

i have set mine at the bottom of my garden on a pole about 10ft up, the station is in full sun and it is reading the same temp as my other sensor which is positioned in the shade.., so i guess you can install in full sun!!!!

There's not much heat from direct sunlight at this time of year, so probably why there's little difference between temps in the shade an full sunlight. But in spring and especially summer - the sensor will give erroneously high reading in full sun - if the standard shade temp which is used officially is what you require.

Posted

Last bit of rain clearing our region late afternoon tomorrow - and that could be it for a short while! clapping.gif

gfs_prec_eur30.png

Posted

There's not much heat from direct sunlight at this time of year, so probably why there's little difference between temps in the shade an full sunlight. But in spring and especially summer - the sensor will give erroneously high reading in full sun - if the standard shade temp which is used officially is what you require.

Just to confirm what Nick has said. I have this same Weather Station, and during summer despite being located in a very small and fairly shaded garden my temperature readings were often 2-3c higher than local readings.

If its at all possible, its also advisable to place the temperature sensor above a grass surface at a height of approx 6 feet, and away from brick or concrete surfaces. Of course for us keen enthusiasts most of this is easier said than done, so just find the best spot you can and enjoy the kit for what it is. I was really pleased with mine until my neighbours cats destroyed it with their nightly forays !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello all,

I will attempt a brief regionally based summary of how I think the weather will develop as we head into the New Year.

As the GEFS 12z ensembles are not out yet, I will base my forecast on some charts from the same run.

Firstly, where we stand right now, courtesy of the NH Jetstream and T850s charts.

post-7183-0-67896500-1356886784_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-88525200-1356886783_thumb.pn

By t+72 (Wednesday 2nd January, 12pm) there are already clear signs of a pattern change. Temperatures at the surface will remain near to average, by this time. The range, generally being 5c to 7c as Maximums, significantly cooler in any foggy conditions.

post-7183-0-02830900-1356887143_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-34698300-1356887142_thumb.pn

Now look at the Northern Hemipshere Jetstream position by t+120 (Friday 4th January, 12pm), it is forced around us, due to a large HP cell placed slap bang over the United Kingdom. By this time, Temperatures should be milder than average, with 9c to 12c being the likely range of Maximums achieved.

post-7183-0-94717200-1356887517_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-31271700-1356887516_thumb.pn

Finally, at ten days range (Wednesday 9th January, 12pm), the Northern Hemipshere Jetstream pattern has significantly changed once again, with a tendency for the bulk of the Southern jet, wanting to head down South, almost to the edge of Western Africa. This is a pattern which may well assist our chances of an increasing polar flow as we head towards mid-January. drinks.gif

post-7183-0-16031000-1356888482_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-52524000-1356888479_thumb.pn

In my opinion, an ever intriguing but confusing outlook will begin to unfold across all model outputs, as they ponder when and where to position the demise of the High Pressure cell, around the end of week 1 of January. Please try not to be confused as many a conflicting post across the forum threads will be upcoming, due to model inconsistency as aforementioned. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

My Davis Vantage Vue is on my chimney stack... the wind reads perfectly as does the temp/ rain gauge etc but i feel the temp sensor may over read as it gets the heat from the house... I could put it on a taller mast i suppose but its already 6 foot above the stack :)

Posted

since when where you in my garden? blum.gif it does tend to flood alot but never like this! the ditches usually take most of it away but they are full to bursting, lucky there won't be to much moor rain , remember they play cricket there in the summer! more like beach ball?

you get a great view of the flooding from the castle then you can see how bad it is!

Edited by chmape

Posted

Thanks for the info guys you have been really helpful. I wanted to get it all set up ready for the downpour tomorrow!!

Having plotted and planned I think I have it in a fairly sensible location and am now in the process of installing the software, from what I have read on various forums the Cumulus software is better than the one that you get with the kit so I have downloaded that and it seems to be working very well. It is asking for my location - longitude and latitude and asl any ideas where I can find that information?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

go on multimap.com zoom into your house and right click... the long and lat is shown its bing maps now... still works thou www.bing.com/maps

Edited by Mike Storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Thanks for the info guys you have been really helpful. I wanted to get it all set up ready for the downpour tomorrow!!

Having plotted and planned I think I have it in a fairly sensible location and am now in the process of installing the software, from what I have read on various forums the Cumulus software is better than the one that you get with the kit so I have downloaded that and it seems to be working very well. It is asking for my location - longitude and latitude and asl any ideas where I can find that information?

http://www.gridreferencefinder.com/#

pop your post code in here (-:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I've been a weather fan for about 5 years now — mainly because I'm also a gardener — and there's one thing I've noticed about British weather is that it always balances itself. We've had quite a few dryish years, winters at any rate, until this year when rainfall records have been broken. And if the first half of winter's cold, the second half is mild.

This year's the other way around. I reckon mid-January onwards we'll get the goods.

Posted

Hi further to people setting up their new weather stations I would like to know what on the Cumulus software does "wind run" mean?sorry.gif

From wikipedia:

Wind run is a meteorological term used to categorize or determine the total distance (or amount) of the traveled wind over a period of time. The readings are collected using an anemometer (usually part of a weather station).

Wind run can help to determine the rate of evaporation of moisture over a particular area. It may also be useful in determining the height of waves that might be encountered on large bodies of water. Longer wind runs generate higher waves on open water. It can also be used to help in the placement of wind turbines.

Hope this helps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Went for a walk with kids this afternoon, took this pic on way home.

With the wintry setting sun, it made for a very silvery themed picture on the Great Ouse.

post-9147-0-29951600-1356896501_thumb.jp

Posted

Went for a walk with kids this afternoon, took this pic on way home.

With the wintry setting sun, it made for a very silvery themed picture on the Great Ouse.

That's lovely. :)