Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion - January 11th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

I'm not really too concerned about this week for snow, its after next weekend that we should start to see the after-effects of the ssw. If you look in the strat thread on the general discussion board then changes in the vortex are starting to take place. The ssw is rather a biggie.

Posted

Weather forecast just showed rain in our region on Monday...turning to snow as it goes towards the South East. I can't say anymore as the last post I made about being dissapointed about missing the snow in our region was returned with a not so nice comment!

I am a little dissapointed but hopefully it'll change and there's always the rest of the week for us.

what area of the South West are you ?

Posted

I'm not really too concerned about this week for snow, its after next weekend that we should start to see the after-effects of the ssw. If you look in the strat thread on the general discussion board then changes in the vortex are starting to take place. The ssw is rather a biggie.

Yes but dosent mean it will have any effect on us. This cold spell could be the only one of this winter, its the here and now so looking two weeks ahead to something in la la land is ridiculous.

Posted

Exeter, Devon

Hmmm not the easiest place to get Snow in marginal conditions, although on the plus side , that low will be slipping South during tomorrow and the precipitation shouldn't exit Exeter until Sunday morning , by which time it will only be light snow , but at least you stand a good chance of seeing something falling and recent met office warnings also go along with that .

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Weather forecast just showed rain in our region on Monday...turning to snow as it goes towards the South East. I can't say anymore as the last post I made about being dissapointed about missing the snow in our region was returned with a not so nice comment!

I am a little dissapointed but hopefully it'll change and there's always the rest of the week for us.

The only thing I would say is the best snow comes when its not expected! The models are so confused at the moment that it really is anyones game. If that low slows down and tracks just a little further south than we are in for it.

Telegraph hill battleground situation ring any bells? good.gif

Posted

Aww Comon Guys lets have some friends.giffriends.giffriends.giffriends.gifin here and not bomb.gifbomb.gifbomb.gifbomb.gif

You could always pop over to the SE Regional thread it is party central in there at the moment......and yes that includes you Quentin (Dorsetbred)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

The only thing I would say is the best snow comes when its not expected! The models are so confused at the moment that it really is anyones game. If that low slows down and tracks just a little further south than we are in for it.

Telegraph hill battleground situation ring any bells? good.gif

Oh yes and I would be camping up there to see it if I'd already passed my driving test but going for third time lucky the end of march ;)

I Just have a feeling we are ALL going to see something big before this winters out...I'm not the smartest person but this whole SWW things seems significant so it's just got to affect us even if we live in the milder south west!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Yes but dosent mean it will have any effect on us. This cold spell could be the only one of this winter, its the here and now so looking two weeks ahead to something in la la land is ridiculous.

If it is the only cold spell this winter then it is, it doesn't bother me. If you want a more prolonged wintery spell then the vortex being blown apart, maybe northern blocking, easterly winds is a better bet. If that doesn't happen then life just carries on as normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Hmmm not the easiest place to get Snow in marginal conditions, although on the plus side , that low will be slipping South during tomorrow and the precipitation shouldn't exit Exeter until Sunday morning , by which time it will only be light snow , but at least you stand a good chance of seeing something falling and recent met office warnings also go along with that .

Thankyou SnowMad! I agree with you, I think we'll see a flutter on Sunday and maybe something more significant next week! I just hope it's not next weekend as I will be working that weekend and I've been lucky in that I've not needed to work any weekends for two months, it'll be just my luck!! lol

I've got a feeling there's something big coming our way in the next few weeks, I can feel it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Some have thrown the towel in by the sounds of it and writing off the potential cold! Things can change yet.......

I'm not writing off the cold. I'm saying Wareham is usually snowless and it looks like being the same again.

Na Torpoint in Cornwall is!!!

Somerset!!

I've only had three events since 1994 where snow has been lying for more than 12 hours. :|

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

If it is the only cold spell this winter then it is, it doesn't bother me. If you want a more prolonged wintery spell then the vortex being blown apart, maybe northern blocking, easterly winds is a better bet. If that doesn't happen then life just carries on as normal.

But thats exactly what you want? Thats what you said in your original post....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Seems it will be a case of nowcasting and watching the lampost tomorrow evening - Weather reports today have been quite differing ...mainly timings and intensity and type of preciption. For my area I am still not sure and deep down half of me thinks it will be a few flakes blowing in the breeze sat pm with a little more from Monday/Tuesday (you liking my detailed synopsis yet?.....who needs Model Forecasters whistling.gif ).

Apart from the information on this thread and the usual suspects who have given me a much bettter insight in to waht potentially could happen I have now been confused by the BBC Breakfast weather, BBC south today weather, information on NW forecasts, Met Office -cc_confused.gif all of which seems to have fluctated which only reflects the difficulties and uncertainties of interpretting a model " a model is after all only a "a representation containing the essential structure of some object or event in the real world" - so there it will be always be very difficult to have unified on the interpretations.

But I am going to go with NW for now. Seems to be the only one which seems to be sensible/logical. That means a little rain for Newbury tomorrow but very cold temps ( and feel factors to -4) some light snow late evening Saturday and Sunday Morning and then bright sunshine on Monday feeling bitterly cold. cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's always chopping and changing, TG...Survive the winter, and you'll have lost the ability to count...

Posted

why does it say in the 5 day forecast for my postcode on each time have a little snowflake warning from Monday 3.00-2100 but i go on the main warning page there is no warning for my location on met office! hmmmm

Edited by 124alex

Posted

But thats exactly what you want? Thats what you said in your original post....

I don't mind a cold snowy spell but it doesn't bother me as much as most of you in here. I'm more of a warm sunny summer person, what happens from spring to autumn has an effect on our livelihood and my hobbies. December 2010 had a big impact on us out here and so I'm not so keen on mass cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

why does it say in the 5 day forecast for my region on each time have a warning. but i go on the main warning page there is no warning for my location on met office! hmmmm

The yellow warning covers a tiny part of the south west so it'll show up in the forecasts even though it's not specific for your area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I don't know about rest of you but my nerves are wrecked lets hope 12z offers us an olive branch...

Still quite possible for a westwards correction although I have my doubts. tease.gif

Posted

The yellow warning covers a tiny part of the south west so it'll show up in the forecasts even though it's not specific for your area.

oh i see thanks! hopefully the warning will come further west

I don't know about rest of you but my nerves are wrecked lets hope 12z offers us an olive branch...

Still quite possible for a westwards correction although I have my doubts. tease.gif

how far do you think its got to shift west for most of our region to be in for a chance?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Oh yes and I would be camping up there to see it if I'd already passed my driving test but going for third time lucky the end of march tease.gif

I Just have a feeling we are ALL going to see something big before this winters out...I'm not the smartest person but this whole SWW things seems significant so it's just got to affect us even if we live in the milder south west!

Good luck on your test!! I think you are right, we all should get something... I am new to this as well but form what I can tell the SSW will probably have the most profound affects later in the month. Looking at some forecasts this is just a "bonus" bit of snow.

How strange, owl city, fireflies just came on the radio, that was on when it started to snow last time!! Im off now, see you all for the 12z with good news hopefully!

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor