Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 11/01/13 ------->

A.J

Posted

The problem now is that no one can tell where anyone lives, is that west of the region?

yeah makes things really difficult (the mobile version never shows location!) .......perhaps we can list it in posts?

Preston

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Yup, it's in BT's area in other words Runcorn lol

So logically 9c on the Fylde?? No chance!

Posted

Well it looks like we'll certainly have enough precipitation according to the latest charts, but the question on everybody's lips at the moment is, will we fall on the right side of marginal to get the snowfall instead of a wet sleety mix? Like the fact that on Monday we could get two spells of 'potential' snowfall moving down from the north inside 24hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Oh wow! Thats changed from before, we werent even in the chart for it! http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert hooefully it will come off!

Well it looks like we'll certainly have enough precipitation according to the latest charts, but the question on everybody's lips at the moment is, will we fall on the right side of marginal to get the snowfall instead of a wet sleety mix? Like the fact that on Monday we could get two spells of 'potential' snowfall moving down from the north inside 24hrs.

Dodger you will get hammered if gfs OR ukmo come to fruition.The problem is at this range a swing of only a hundred miles in the track of that shortwave will have huge implications on the ground.As it stands i expect the east of this region to get 15cm plus on monday,obviously the further west you are the higher chance of modification but even say within 10miles of the coast SHOULD be ok imo.BUT,the track of that system will change so no ramping from me to far away to get excited.

Posted

No reason to suggest to me that this will be any different to what normally happens. No point on getting hung up about it, the further inland you are the better chance you have of getting snow. As soon as borderline and warm sectors start to appear for us to the West its game over. Historically that is what always happens.

Looking at up to date charts snowline should start (local to here) at Longridge running down towards Blackburn and Darwen and towards Horwich.

Still chance to change we really need colder air further West.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

yeah makes things really difficult (the mobile version never shows location!) .......perhaps we can list it in posts?

Preston

Ive changed my signature to include it.

Posted

No reason to suggest to me that this will be any different to what normally happens. No point on getting hung up about it, the further inland you are the better chance you have of getting snow. As soon as borderline and warm sectors start to appear for us to the West its game over. Historically that is what always happens.

Looking at up to date charts snowline should start (local to here) at Longridge running down towards Blackburn and Darwen and towards Horwich.

Still chance to change we really need colder air further West.

spot on....I suppose its what makes it more special when it does happen...and it might....but Im with you....marginal just isn't good enough for the west coast.

Preston

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Changed my siggie too to my location, then if i do see a flake (probably of the chocolate variety!) lol you'll know where i am lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Got Lytham Windmill in my sig so you know where I'm getting wet next week. At least thats my reverse psychology vs the incoming weather! Good luck to everyone in more inland/elavated areas!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Im Not sure the ECM is that good for monday / tuesday, uppers only -4 to -5, wheras the ukmo has -6 uppers. i wonder if thats what Ian Fergie is on about when he says even more uncertainty wrt snow event for monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just got in from work and not had chance to look through the forums.

Are we still looking at a chance of snow on Monday or have downgrades taken place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Indeed, and -5 uppers are not so marginal at this time of year, we've always been lead to believe. Sod's law of the northwest winter >> PPN progged as Heavy, weakens as it passes over us then re-intensifies and pummels the South.

As ever, the Pennines areas will have the best shot at decent Snow and accumilations Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

SNOW,SIGNIFICANT, DISRUPTIVE three of the best words I've heard Diane Oxberry say for a long time.

If Diane's ramping it up then roll on Monday not that I want to wish a weekend away.

Posted

SNOW,SIGNIFICANT, DISRUPTIVE three of the best words I've heard Diane Oxberry say for a long time.

If Diane's ramping it up then roll on Monday not that I want to wish a weekend away.

Thanks for that Ian, i turned back to BBC2 after I watched the national forecast as the local one is usually a waste of time. We will be driving to Norfolk and back this weekend so may catch an early flake there before Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

I had just got in from work and turned TV on and she was giving out the forecast, couldn't believe it. Not had a chance to catch up with our thread or the MOD since early this morning. I really thought we would miss out, better start reading!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

ohmy.png wow, that is unusual for her to ramp! Get yer shovels out!

Posted

Missed that...did she give the impression that it was like having her teeth pulled, having to report this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

ohmy.png wow, that is unusual for her to ramp! Get yer shovels out!

She didn't look or sound happy about it sad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

She didn't look or sound happy about it sad.png

She's not a "coldie" then!

But seriously yeh, the amount of snow will be disruptive...I'd give a rough guess that places E of Wigan, Blackburn, Warrington (inclusive) etc. and much of Cumbria could get quite a dumping over the Mon event. Well, that's a complete guess cos it will change, but that's what often happens in these situations in my experience, but as I say this will change!

Edited by Chris D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Latest met office fax chart has removed mondays mild sector....snow threat further west...cant post chart ,on my phone, but can be viewed in model thread.

Edited by chicken soup

Posted

Was just about to say NW is not looking hopeful. Putting Diane's words in context - did she also utter things like 'hills' 'well inland' 'possibly' 'potentally' and such words??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Was just about to say NW is not looking hopeful. Putting Diane's words in context - did she also utter things like 'hills' 'well inland' 'possibly' 'potentally' and such words??

No she just said monday morning rush hour significent and disruptive snow,no graphics shown

just carried on to say that there would be more details with Eno(who ever she is lol) at 1035

then her face looked like a kid who just had a smacked bum

C.S

OOPS sorry mods put a naughty word in that post

edited out now

Edited by cheshire snow