Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 13/01/13 ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I attach the latest NW v6 radar imagery for your perusal.

What this indicates is in which particular direction, the bands of precipitation are moving as shown by the black arrows.

The upper air profiles are shown as these will broadly follow the same route as the day progresses, as indicate by the red arrows. By the end of the afternoon, most of our region will once again be in the colder air. I am expecting a widespread frost tonight and if any snowcover remains, it of course will become even colder than might otherwise be expected.

post-7183-0-85090300-1358147334_thumb.pn

Let's sit back and see how the day unfolds because it may not go to plan, as this is a right ole wintry mix we are talking about here.

Currently -0.2c, a slight snowcover, -1c DP and barometer trend of 1014.7mb falling rapidly.

You don't need me to tell you that your temp and DP means snow at the min, I can sense you have one eye brow raised don't you?! But your feet on the ground?! My feet on the other hand . . . Are above my head !!!

Posted

Woken up to about 0.5 cm covering on the decking, looking at the radar must have come from a shower that passed through an hour or two ago....nice surprise! Rain to wash it away today I think. Then a nice hard frost!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow cold weather and storms

light snow in ryde not much what a great surprise already better than last winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

What this indicates is in which particular direction, the bands of precipitation are moving as shown by the black arrows.

The upper air profiles are shown as these will broadly follow the same route as the day progresses, as indicated by the red arrows. By the end of the afternoon, most of our region will once again be in the colder air. I am expecting a widespread frost tonight and if any snowcover remains, it of course will become even colder than might otherwise be expected.

Let's sit back and see how the day unfolds because it may not go to plan, as this is a right ole wintry mix we are talking about here.

Currently -0.2c, a slight snowcover, -1c DP and barometer trend of 1014.7mb falling rapidly.

thanks GTLTW .. Missed having you on here last night.. Unless didn't see you amongst the excitement. Question is what will the ppn and the ETA near us be today.. i suspect more wet than the white stuff. :( The covering we had last this morning came from the band this morning as at 3am three was nothing and only a couple of flakes before midnight blew around in the breeze.

Nice to see the model predictions coming true. Can't remember which one was more accurate on last night.. I suspect the ECM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter- Cold, frost, snow. Summer- Warm and thundery.

Wow, no snow, feeling chilly and rain in the forecast...what a surprise.

Seriously though, I think black ice from tomorrow onward could be a real problem.

Edited by Lewesdon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

light snow in ryde not much what a great surprise already better than last winter

Welcome aboard netweather towers.

You're not alone in not having location information in your profile, but can folks please update them to show their nearest town etc. as it aids the tracking of snow reports (where applicable) for us and other interested parties such as the MetO. good.gif

Posted

The upper air profiles are shown as these will broadly follow the same route as the day progresses, as indicated by the red arrows. By the end of the afternoon, most of our region will once again be in the colder air. I am expecting a widespread frost tonight and if any snowcover remains, it of course will become even colder than might otherwise be expected.

Cheers! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Wow, no snow, feeling chilly and rain in the forecast...what a surprise.

Seriously though, I think black ice from tomorrow onward could be a real problem.

Did expect anything else Lewesdon!! We live in a nice part of Dorset but generally crap for snow!! Oh well off to work now, Working in Beaminster this week!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Ooh and forgot to mention it is still snowing in Newbury GTLTW what is you view on the conditions.. Looks s little wet..

Posted

Woke up to a bit of snow on cars and roofs in Bognor Regis but now coming down properly and has lightly covered the roads and pavements in about 5 minutes. Wasnt expecting any this near the coast (less than half a mile inland), so quite excited now!

Posted

The met are forecasting sleet for me at 9, bit of snow before perhaps??

Temperature here currently around. 3C

Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A covering overnight here in Lyneham.....Surface temps & dewpoint temps progged to rise now for the next few hours then drop again, so probably a sleety mix turning back to snow this afternoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Old Fashioned Traditional Seasons

2cms lying snow here in Alton, Hampshire. Snowing lightly at the moment. Temp -0.4C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Ooh and forgot to mention it is still snowing in Newbury GTLTW what is you view on the conditions.. Looks s little wet..

A real difficult mix today to be fair, I would simply try to view the radars as and when you can. Snow, sleet, rain and back to snow later might be on the cards for a few of us.good.gif

Woke up to a bit of snow on cars and roofs in Bognor Regis but now coming down properly and has lightly covered the roads and pavements in about 5 minutes. Wasnt expecting any this near the coast (less than half a mile inland), so quite excited now!

Thanks for your report and welcome to netweather.

You're not alone in not having much reliable information in your profile, but can folks please update them to show their nearest town etc. as it aids the tracking of snow reports (where applicable) for us and other interested parties such as the MetO. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

lovely snowfall here in portsmouth not major but a covering on cars grass and houses looks like it will mix out but 9 10 am but heres hoping for later.

Posted

With the wind in from the SW, and the temperature rising at over 0.4C per hour, we would need some colder air infusion to turn the precip into anything other than rain. Waiting to see if there's any colder air infusion later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

1-2cm of snow lying on the ground and snowing quite moderately, however not settling on some wet ground. good.gif

Edited by galacticwarrior

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Morning all, can some ody sum up this mornings runs on a SW perspective for me please?! I daren't go into the MOD thread I case it's all gone wrong!