Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 13/01/13 ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Plain old cold rain at home and at work.

December was a let down and now January, glad I've got a week in Finland coming up in Febuary otherwise I could go mad living in the snowless zone that is Gloucester.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

One of the more interesting and useful posts from the MOD discussion.

http://forum.netweat...40#entry2495546

I do think Matt Hugo may could be onto something there and hopefully fergiweather will confirm the MetO thoughts on this later today.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

One of the more interesting and useful posts of the MOD discussion.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75547-winter-model-discussion-18z-13113-onwards/page__st__240#entry2495546

I do think Matt Hugo may well be onto something there and hopefully fergiweather will confirm the MetO thoughts on this later today.

Yes. You have John Holmes and his anomaly charts suggesting a return to less cold westerlies.

Then you have Matt Hugo and the EC Ensembles showing a continuation of colder weather well into next week.

Then you have me with...........

....... A headache!

Posted

Nice good.gif

I've also been under that, was surprised at its longevity, it's given us about 2cm-ish here in Petersfield (albeit i'm ill in bed so I can't go out in it but it's lovely to gaze at!).

Yes, we have about 2-3cm here in Odiham (north-east Hampshire). Still coming down at the moment and at times in the last half an hour it has verged on moderate. We have been very lucky I think. The temperature at 8am was -1.2 and I am just wondering whether the snowcover down here, which will lower the temperature, might mean that the band of precipitation rapidly approaching us could just be of sleet/snow as opposed of rain. I doubt it, but you never know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Steady rain now, no sign of it turning wintry, a tad disappointing tbh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

Just had a lovely walk to school and back, crunching through 2-3 cms of snow! Moderate snow was falling as well, but that has now stopped.

And (if I've done this right!), this is the view of my back garden :)

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/16960-snow-140113/

Such a shame that rain is forecast in a couple of hours. Hopefully it won't be heavy enough to wash all the snow away!

Posted

Just had a lovely walk to school and back, crunching through 2-3 cms of snow! Moderate snow was falling as well, but that has now stopped.

And (if I've done this right!), this is the view of my back garden :)

Such a shame that rain is forecast in a couple of hours. Hopefully it won't be heavy enough to wash all the snow away!

I think that there is a small chance that on the hill just behind Holyborne, which is just over 700ft, that you might get some decent snow out of the second front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Old Fashioned Traditional Seasons

Yes, we have about 2-3cm here in Odiham (north-east Hampshire). Still coming down at the moment and at times in the last half an hour it has verged on moderate. We have been very lucky I think. The temperature at 8am was -1.2 and I am just wondering whether the snowcover down here, which will lower the temperature, might mean that the band of precipitation rapidly approaching us could just be of sleet/snow as opposed of rain. I doubt it, but you never know.

Yes that next band of snow/sleet/rain is a puzzle! Temperature here is on the up - now +0.6C (below freezing an hour ago) so could be very marginal. We shall soon find out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Well after last nights majesty of a dusting of snow. Today, more rain muck! Disheartening, but guess we still have chances later in the week!

Posted

Is it clear where the warm sector is on the front coming down. Seems that there is more n to s movement than e to w does this push the warm sector further south before wrap around?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

So I see the ukmo sticks with its output from last night and the latest ecm is also very much like it, just gfs not looking good but who cares about that model with the way it's been lately!

I know the met office weren't giving much credence to that huge lp undercutting and dropping insane amounts of snow but with the ukmo showing the same again this morning and the ecm showing a similar thing, I wonder what they think about that possibility now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

No rain or snow here yet still. Very cold, cloudy day. Clouds look like they could be filled with the good stuff so you never know!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

2.9c and light drizzly rain. With the lack of wind it doesn't feel particularly cold. I was hoping it would feel cold enough to wear my ace new hat and gloves, oh well might do anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Old Fashioned Traditional Seasons

Is it clear where the warm sector is on the front coming down. Seems that there is more n to s movement than e to w does this push the warm sector further south before wrap around?

Not sure about the outcome re this next band of precipitation. My temperature has risen to +1C quite quickly - my guess is it will be snow then rain before perhaps reverting to snow later today. Time will tell!

Posted

SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WATCH #072

ISSUED: 1645UTC SUNDAY 13th JANUARY 2013 (SG/GJ/GS/SM)

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A SEVERE WEATHER WATCH FOR THE FOLLOWING REGIONS:

ALL OF ENGLAND WALES CENTRAL AND EASTERN SCOTLAND

IN EFFECT UNTIL 0600UTC TUESDAY 15TH JANUARY 2013

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF SEVERE WEATHER AFFECTING THE INDICATED REGIONS IN THE TIME PERIOD SPECIFIED. THREATS WITHIN THIS WATCH INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: HEAVY SNOW...ICE

DISCUSSION:

THERE IS GOOD MODEL AGREEMENT AND INTER-AGENCY AWARENESS OF LOW PRESSURE MOVING S/SE OVER THE UNITED KINGDOM WITHIN THE TIMESCALE SPECIFIED. AS THE LOW TRANSITS THROUGH THE COUNTRY AND THE ASSOCIATED FRONTAL SYSTEMS PUSH SE MEETING THE COLD AIR CURRENTLY IN PLACE, SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR PROVIDING SOME HEAVY FALLS WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF BETWEEN 2-5CM AT LOWER LEVELS ALTHOUGH 5-10CM IS LIKELY ABOVE 200-300 METERS.

http://www.skywarn.org.uk/

Posted

Nothing overnight on the Hants/Wilts border and steady rain now.

Always one of the saddest sights of the year.

post-7340-0-94920000-1358157465_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Raining quite moderately now over Radstock with no chance of anything wintry here as the temperatures clamber up from 1C at dawn to 3.1C with the warm sector over the top. Those places in Hampshire that were lucky enough to see the snow are going to see a rapid change in the coming hours as the rain and warm sector slides further SSE and washes much of the snow away. Sorry to be a party pooper to you folks down there. Just saying it as I see it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Hello.......

gfs-0-102.png?6

Posted

06z absolute beauty upto 102hrs. As the system pushes in theres a nice undercut, grabs the cold from the east and keeps snowing.

EDIT, THE SYSTEM STALLS RIGHT OVER THE SW, VERY GOOD.

Edited by latitude

Posted

Heavier snowfall predicted around large parts of UK

Parts of England and Wales have seen light snow overnight, as forecasters warn a second, heavier, band will fall across large areas of the UK later. The Met Office has issued an amber "be prepared" warning for snow disruption in north-east England, Yorkshire and Humber, and the East Midlands. The heaviest overnight snowfall was 1in (3cm) in Nottingham and the Pennines.

Parts of Scotland, which already experienced snowy scenes on Sunday, can expect to see more snow on Monday. It marks the start of what forecasters are predicting will be a bitterly cold week. Temperatures are expected to drop to around -10C across rural Scotland on Monday night and possibly as low as -4C or minus -5C across other parts of northern and eastern England.

During Sunday, snow fell in many parts of northern and central England, as well as in eastern Wales - although there has been little travel disruption early on Monday, despite warnings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21004656

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Latest 06z GFS again showing a snow event Friday;

post-12721-0-96983400-1358157776_thumb.jpost-12721-0-42061800-1358157783_thumb.jpost-12721-0-86800000-1358157789_thumb.jpost-12721-0-86994100-1358157795_thumb.jpost-12721-0-82414300-1358157829_thumb.jpost-12721-0-62026700-1358157847_thumb.j

Still a long way off but you got to admire the consistency of the GFS bringing in snowfall for Friday. Detail etc irrelevant, whether its all snow as this run suggests or snow - rain as previous runs suggest is irrelevant. I personally think south-westwards corrections could happen as the models get to grips with the strength of the block.

Anyway, anyone planning trips to Dartmouth for example better keep an eye on the forecast. :p :p