Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

I'm usually one of the most positive people with regard to the weather but I'm now starting to get frustrated with this cold spell, it appears we're in the wrong spot in this part of the UK at this moment in time.

Just hoping things change this weekend as a cursory glance at the BBC online forecast online doesn't exactly fill me with glee re. snow potential, although things are still looking good in the mod thread so perhaps we'll get our time soon. (See I'm back to being confident again) doh.gif

Posted

Coast why has this spell been so difficult to call the weather more so than in other years. Do u think we have got greedy. Gotta say very cold feeling at Bromley south station wind is def picking up

I guess it's because where it has been coming from and the effects of the warmer areas trying to push in form the West. That jet-stream has been a tetchy blighter recently!

The way this cold spell has been going I wouldn't be too confident of that!

Can't say either way then at this point, so lets wait and see!

Posted

Quiet an impressive drop in temperature in last hour, temp fallen 0.8c and dew point 0.7c

Temp 0.1

Dew point -1.1

Oh well off to the office in Harlow shortly, hopefully I won't have to scrap the car windscreen prior to setting out.

Posted

Current temps:

Rdtlmett.gif

Current DP's:

Rdtlmetd.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Blergh! Morning all absolutely sod all here appart from grey skys threatening rain.and a bitterly cold wind

Posted

Morning all - didn't attempt a late night snow vigil - was good to get some solid sleep. Am hoping that this will be a case of get the cold then the snow will come - and we certainly are getting the cold - so every chance we will also get a decent snow event.

However - Not much to speak of for next few days at the moment so I will take it a bit easier and take a cursory glance at the radar and the nae / gfs every morning until we get closer to some action :)

Posted

Blergh! Morning all absolutely sod all here appart from grey skys threatening rain.and a bitterly cold wind

Still, could be worse..... :doh:

Posted

come on, we are only 2 days in to this cold spell, i am confident all of us should see something before it's over. Herne bay should see plent of snow/sleet showers today according to all forecasts.

Posted

Well it's very hard for members in our region not to feel down this morning, given the fiasco of up to five hours of snowfall yesterday for some without a single flake settling, followed by last night's shambles which left the west of our region dry and those in the east with a slush fest, or rain.

Now we have to contend with the grim prospect of a transitional snow to rain event at the end of the week as the Atlantic attempts to push in. It could be a snow only episode, but I wouldn't blame people in our region for fearing the worst, given the experience so far.

One thing I would say is that this spell needs to deliver to our region to be memorable. The SE is the money shot of cold spells - dumps along the east coast and Scotland and the favoured spots do not an epic cold spell make.

I think we need the cold air to dig in properly now, and hope that the Atlantic attack is correctly positioned to dump snow --- and then retreat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

My god just looked at temp +3.6c whats going on anyone?, was expecting at least a freeze last night even without the snow , very strong NE wind at mo.

This is actually just average cold at mo, no big freeze for us Easteners.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

According to app on my phone its 0 feeling like -6 and dew pont -2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

My god just looked at temp +3.6c whats going on anyone?, was expecting at least a freeze last night even without the snow , very strong NE wind at mo.

This is actually just average cold at mo, no big freeze for us Easteners.

Yep, if I'd not been tracking the forecasts and models over the last few weeks I'd think this period was nothing out of the ordinary, at the moment anyway

Posted

On daybreak weather they reckon Kent is going to get 2-5 cms this afternoon.

Not sure where they get that figure from, but if anywhere is going to get it, Eastern Kent must be in the firing line!

Posted

On daybreak weather they reckon Kent is going to get 2-5 cms this afternoon.

The far east of Kent only. Snow showers normally miss us here unless it's a straight easterly wind.

Edited by manutdmatt1986

Posted

Shaping up for another dusting in areas of our region on Friday, maybe Saturday according to GFS:

78_20.gif

84_20.gif

Then a bit on Saturday?

114_20.gif

or Sunday?

132_20.gif

The last chart looks like the Atlantic making inroads to me llok at all the green rain in the west.!!!

Posted

I think Matt Hugo sums up the difficulties very well in his post in the MOD a few moments ago and I'll quote the last bit here:

It is fascinating viewing, but clearly a nightmare at the same time. Some of the charts do have a similarity to the 70's and 80's at times and clearly *IF* some of the charts in question become reality then the end result would be further cold and snowy conditions.

Posted

Current temps:

Rdtlmett.gif

Current DP's:

Rdtlmetd.gif

oh look im currenly the warmest in NW Europe at 3c, yet i have a DP of -1c, joy....

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

Cold and snowy spell !!! What cold and snowy spell , a slight frost more like , I think the met office are starting to believe the Daily Mail

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Surrey area for example is and has always been crap with frontal snow especially from the west, what we really need is a Thames streamer as they always deliver

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

Good morning all from a dry, bright and chilly Haywards Heath.

I was just wondering, as I've seen some murmurs about a possible dusting this weekend, has the initial forecast from a couple of days ago been downgraded? I remember reading initially that we could be in for something a bit special this weekend, though it was in the MOD forum.

Don't panic, I'm not asking for a will it or won't it snow, I'm just curious as to whether it's changed or whether it's just a case of everyone remaining tight lipped in case it doesn't come off?

Glad to see some of you guys had some snow last night, great to read Paul S's excited reports of 50p flakes whipping sideways in the wind after his no flake scenario the other day!

Posted

Good morning all from a dry, bright and chilly Haywards Heath.

Morning Nikki!

Don't panic, I'm not asking for a will it or won't it snow, I'm just curious as to whether it's changed or whether it's just a case of everyone remaining tight lipped in case it doesn't come off?

Things are changing and evolving all the time, stick to this thread and see how it pans out as we move towards Friday and Saturday!

Posted

Not sure where they get that figure from, but if anywhere is going to get it, Eastern Kent must be in the firing line!

But wth temps of +3 dont get your hopes up it will be anything other than rain,sleet,wet snow....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

No offence guys, but some of you need to realise that we do not live in interior Siberia.

Some of you moan, yet you live on the coast, what do you expect??

doh.gif