Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

UK weather: Ice and snow warnings issued

Further snow and ice in many parts of the UK could cause disruption, the Met Office has warned.

Yellow warnings to "be aware" of frozen conditions and icy roads are in place as temperatures stay low, particularly in central and western areas. There are minor delays on some rail routes in East Anglia, which has seen snow overnight, because of speed restrictions. Forecasters said the cold spell would continue until Friday.

The BBC Weather Centre said snow fell overnight in eastern areas, including Lincolnshire and East Anglia, and could affect parts of south-east England during the morning. Snow also fell overnight in some northern counties of England. However, it said a more widespread problem would be the risk of ice, with temperatures widely falling below freezing in rural parts of south-west England and south-west Scotland. Forecasters say ice could also cause particular disruption to commuters in western Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Across Wales, widespread icy conditions saw delays on roads and led to the temporary closure of the A4067 between Glais, Swansea, and Junction 45 of the M4. The day is expected to be drier than Monday, with temperatures ranging between 0C and 4C, but sleet and snow could make icy conditions worse as surfaces freeze behind them, forecasters said. Suffolk Police reported about 25 incidents involving vehicles on roads overnight in the county due to the weather conditions. In the the worst incident, a lorry jackknifed on the A14 at Woolpit. In neighbouring Norfolk, more than 30 schools have been closed because of the snow. Rail operator Greater Anglia said train services between Norfolk and Cambridge were being delayed by up to 15 minutes because of the snow.

On Monday, snow in large swathes of England and parts of Scotland - particularly Aberdeenshire - led to a number of problems, including school closures and travel delays. Steve Crosthwaite, of the Highways Agency, said motorists should check the latest travel advice before they set out, check their vehicle was prepared for the conditions and take warm clothing and food. He told BBC News: "We are using salt to treat the road network and have ploughs and snow blowers on standby if necessary. Our traffic officers are working around the clock to monitor our road network, deal with any incidents and keep traffic moving."

Tasmin Jeff-Johnson, from the RAC, urged motorists to take sensible shoes and a warm coat on any snow-affected journey. She also advised drivers to take a shovel and pieces of old carpet to provide traction in case of breakdown. Three Met Office yellow warnings - advising people to "be aware" of severe weather - were put in place for much of the UK on Monday afternoon. Eddy Carroll, chief forecaster for the Met Office, said: "With some very low temperatures over the next few nights we also expect ice in many places and people should be prepared for travel problems." The Met Office has also issued a cold weather alert, warning of a 90% probability of severe cold weather or icy conditions until Friday in parts of England.

The level three alert - one below a national emergency - warns the weather could increase health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt services, and notifies the authorities to take action. The cold spell is being caused by an abrupt jump in temperatures high in the stratosphere, which can bring snow, forecasters explained

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21021886

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Well if nothing else at least it looks like we'll have some "proper" cold air over us for the the next few days,maxes widely at or below zero by the end of the week. Snow forecasts can and will change so no reason to be downcast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Something will crop up it always does

We are starting to get the cold in

So we just got to hope for a rogue trough or front or the wind might change/upgrade to a ene and we get showers from the North Sea

Or it might not lol

It's only weather it will do what it wants when it wants no amount of model watching or forecasters will change that

Lets just hope for some last minute surprises

Posted

We got an inch or so last night, was good when it came down in Medway. Woke up to a much wetter and slushing affair than I expected. Even more surprising is that the DSA have taken candidates out on test already even though many roads are still very slushy and slippery. I've seen driving tests cancelled because of light frost!

Must say this 'big freeze' had proven very disappointing. The forecasts and models keep getting my hopes up, but it can't seem to deliver the goods.

Temps here currently around 1C, and the snow seems to be melting extraordinarily fast for the temperature. By midday there will be no trace of it.

Posted

Hi all, top temps for Reigate for the next 5 days according to my met office app...

2, 1, 0, 0, 1 - some impressive temps and confirmation that the cold spell is extended through to Saturday at least... The breakdown is always 5 days away...

Looking at the models, we COULD have a snowy breakdown to less cold after that, but 100 mile shift south wards in those lows and the jet stream would keep us in the freezer.

Whatever happens, the cold will be entrenched by the weekend!

Posted

Whatever happens, the cold will be entrenched by the weekend!

A great place to start, now lets get some of that precip to fall!

Posted

Have to agree I want snow as much as anyone however the cold air from the east is now flooding in. As has been said so often before get cold in first then snow will follow and to be truthful the first wave of cold air here in proper south east of Thames was not cold enough for snow. Now the weekend does look more interesting if u can bear it in the mod thread shows why patience is required in this set up. Hardly a cloud in sky now

In relation to dp these will fall now as the cold air sweeps in. Looking at -5 in most places closer to the capital -2/3.

Try not to get drawn into the usual u said it would snow. I personally look forward to John Pike and Steve Murr posts and coast is very informative. Enjoy the drop in temps and as weekend approaches lets see what transpires

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Some thick cloud building to my north could be a few snow showers

Posted

Good morning

I know this is a regional thread and so far not all of us have had particularly severe winter weather, but it is still a cold spell for most of the country with fair amounts of snow falling in some areas, and the potential for more to come. In previous years we have done really well (perhaps this has skewed expectations) whilst others haven't so perhaps we should bear this in mind before moaning too enthusiastically?

It's +0.5c here, sunny, with a cold wind. I have just scraped ice off my wife's car and the temperature will struggle to get much above freezing here over the next few days. Sounds cold to me!

AS

Posted

Left for work at 4:50 ths morning, nothing to suggest that even a flake of snow fell here! Car thermometer read 1.0c but the breeze was bitterly cold. Left work at 7:50, clear sky, sunrise, but doors had frozen shut on one side of the car, had to scrape ice off windscreen and car thermometer was reading -1.0c. Looking lovely out there now, nice drop of sunshine, but glad I'm inside.

CD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Bit weird at home (Raynes Park/Motspur Park) this morning. Went out to the car at 6.45am to see if in needed de-icing, no ice, got in it at 7.10am, iced up !

Posted

Morning from Costa Del Southend.

We had around 1.5cm of snow overnight which quickly turned to a slushy mess. Quite a rapid thaw with only patches left on cars and greenage.

Currently partly cloudy with the sun peeking through. Temp 0.8c, Dew -1.7c.

Hoping for some shower activity over our region over the next few days. But it really is looking cold and pretty dry to be honest. Lets see what crops up in the flow off the continent.

Posted

Enthusiastic moaning? We are British. It's our birth-right!

I often wish I didn't look at the models and forecasts only to get my hopes dashed! And if I were ever to read tabloids, i'll be panic buying months worth of canned food and water by now.

Perhaps it's a case of expect nothing, and take any wintry showers as a bonus.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Sorry in Bexhill :-)

Hi Sara,

Can you please put your location in your profile (Its handy when reporting snow fall if we know where you are) You can do this by clicking on your profile (top right hand corner), then clicking "edit profile". Add your location and save - thanks !

good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Well,thanks to yesterdays freezing/soaking on the bike,i have a temp and feel cold,so stuck at home today (tho after scraping the ice off the O/H car) that doesn`t seem like a bad thing!

Seems we had a bit here overnight but all gone apart from the frozen slush on the car windows.

Posted

When's the next snow coming ?

Is it Friday or Saturday ?

Too far away to be certain yet, unlikely to be before then unless you are in the extreme East of our region though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

When's the next snow coming ?

Is it Friday or Saturday ?

dont think anyone can say for sure

It might not even make it this far east

Posted

The days of just waking up in the morning and seeing 4 inches of fresh snow without looking at any forecasts or radars ! Bring back the 80's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Had a very light flurry in Ramsgate while doing school run, far to warm to even consider staying at +3c ..

After watching BBC Weather i can only hope for a Kent clipper later on this evening and into the night as shown on those fantastic snow graphics that the BBC love to use, and in the mean time hope those temps and DPs keep on falling throughout the day, and maybe just maybe wake to a pleasant surprise in the morning, but after the last 24/36hrs shananigens, i will not be hopeing for to mch.[like i said a few days back just not cold enough,).

Posted

Yep for all the older members who remember those famous early to mid eighties winters the cold and frost established itself first, same with 1991 and December 2010 was the real mccoy, I remember there being a few -6c nights before any snowfall started at the end of November 2010, then came the snows, this spell has not been anywhere near this and hence must be the reason why we are paying for it, I can still only recall 1 frost last Friday night into Saturday. So these few dry cold and frosty nights to come will hold us in much better stead for what happens further down the line.

Very dissappinting so far but you do not have to go far North to find the goods, a few 10-15cm in NE Norfolk, a good 2-4" in Rural Suffolk and Lincs and North York Moors have doen very well so far.

Chin up and keep believing!

TBH, I think Friday needs to be ruled out... Our block is far to strong to allow the Atlantic in like that..

Now don't be down about that.. The reason is where ever that low goes.. It could spoil a good easterly because it will drag in Mild air with it... So although we might see wales with 4" of snow or whatever it may be... I think we need an attack from the east ;)

Model thread typical.. Everybody having a go at each other..

Posted

Morning people!

Okay now it's time for the ice days to start...

Tonight looking very cold but...

Wednesday night... -6 to - 7 To the west of London maybe even lower in rural spots..

13011600_1500.gif

Temp struggling to get above 0

13011612_1500.gif

Thursday Night same again...

13011703_1500.gif

Thursday night into Friday major interest...

Great charts Surrey, thanks for posting. I'd back RAF Northolt to post the London minima on the basis of those charts. Say -5 possible there?