Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 12Z 15/1/13 onwards.

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

As expected the 12z has moved everything back to the way they were on the 00z as the 06z shifted everything east, I say this because selfishly im in the firing line!

Posted

Starting to get concerned about Fri I have to get into Manchester for a scan in the morning and home by lunch time and somewhere looks increasingly likely to get a full on blizzard. 102hrs much less progressive than the 06z.

Posted

UW96-21.GIF?15-17

gfs-0-96.png?12

GFS almost identical to UKMO after all these days of gfs playing a very slow catch up.

If things pan out like this, the UKMO will have covered itself in true glory! Would be a huge coup for the met office drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

undercut forces cold uppers back west, better 12z run, and happy with this as still hoping for a sig snow event here Friday (Extremely rare)

yes its a good run and I expect southward trend to continue up until the actual event.

Its been said many times before but models always underestimate blocks!

Posted

Ukmo at T96 looks fantastic for around London northwards to me surely even with that undercut would drag warm upper into the south? Some astonishing snow totals possible

And Im not an expert on this matter but is that Atlantic trough beginning to take a more negative orientation?

Edited by Weathizard

Posted

Can I just caution re posting / taking as gospel these raw (and often useless) GFS precip/snow probability maps at this juncture. The alogorithm used for these is pretty basic, and I never even bother with them.

A far better route to understanding (at least from GFS) the PPN type prospects for any given area, plus crucial nuances of boundary layer conditions as well as aloft, is to pick-up on the profile soundings plotted for any part of the globe via the excellent http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/READYcmet.php (we compare these here to our UKMO-GM/NAE tephigrams).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

yes its a good run and I expect southward trend to continue up until the actual event.

Its been said many times before but models always underestimate blocks!

Except the ones back in February and December?

Posted

Noted IanF, however it still looks like more of a snowier chance that the 06z...I think!

Posted

Noted IanF, however it still looks like more of a snowier chance that the 06z...I think!

We are concerned. Just on blower to UKMO now. 6-12hrs snow possible parts of my area Fri. Not good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

We are concerned. Just on blower to UKMO now. 6-12hrs snow possible parts of my area Fri. Not good.

Not good. Hopefully they will upgrade it to 24hrs!!!!!!"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

That UKMO is amazing for the weekend, although it's almost getting beyond the "fun" stage and into "serious" territory.

From a personal perspective, I'm supposed to be taking a trip to Cardiff from the NE on Friday lunchtime but I anticipate a cancellation!!

Edit: Just seen the +120.......ohmy.pngcold.gif

Edited by Anti-Mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Hi Ian, how far east do you think the system will move?

Posted

A far better route to understanding (at least from GFS) the PPN type prospects for any given area, plus crucial nuances of boundary layer conditions as well as aloft, is to pick-up on the profile soundings plotted for any part of the globe via the excellent http://ready.arl.noa...v/READYcmet.php (we compare these here to our UKMO-GM/NAE tephigrams).

Of course, Ian, but does the data the Met Office is working with also support a disruptive spell for much of the country on Friday and Saturday, as we are seeing in GFS, GME and raw UKMO output?

Edit: sorry just saw your previous post. Thanks.

Edited by Rob K

Posted

Wow... Fronts bringing snow from the south west on Fri / sat then again on Sun / mon on this run. somehwere could be seriously burried and hats off to the UKMO for sticking to its guns while other models caught up... assuming we are almost there for the correct synoptics at day 5 that is. NAE's reputation is possibly about to take a beating afer its latest output as well.

Posted

Thats quite funny Ian because not good for you will be met with hysteria in here!

I think you know the score by now! If I was working for the UKMO this would have been a good time to take a vacation as the forecast is likely to lead to alot of grey hair.

I suppose you've seen many of these set ups in the past as have many of the longstanding members in here, you don't get more complex than this, a nightmare to forecast no matter how many great computers and data you have at hand.

Posted

However - the potentially errant 12z NAE prog for Thurs is a possible major spoiler and albeit we have it discounted for now..... watch this space. Fri considered 'low probability, severe impact' event currently and we need greater continuity through next 24hrs.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Just in case the cold pool is waning - reinforcements are on the way:

post-4523-0-73395600-1358266650_thumb.pn

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Obviously for us on here its fantastic as thats our mentality crazy.gif , but from yours and your collegues point of view i see where the 'not good' comes in Ian smile.png

Edited by Nick JB

Posted

hings pan out like this, the UKMO will have covered itself in true glory! Would be a huge coup for the met office drinks.gif

I don't think they will be bothered; the UK Met Office model regularly beats the GFS in verification stats, hence why they have been able to sell it to Japan and Australia I guess!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

You probably get tired of people asking but it would be invaluable if you could give us Exeters thoughts on who they think will be hit by this.

How far north and East etc....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Ye Chiono, high pressure/block persisting in the north and we still have the easterly component on Monday!

post-17320-0-64701100-1358266752_thumb.p