Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 15/01/13 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

loads of snow here in parkend middlesbrough about 4 to 5 inches laid

No way has Middlesbrough had 4-5 inches of snow today? Pictures or it didn't happen!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Quite a bit of melt this afternoon here along the coast with temperatures getting to a 'balmy' 2.5ºC..!! Temps starting to drop off now so all this slushy cr@p will end up freezing making walking a hazardous endeavour..! Hoping some off those showers pepping up in the North sea give us a decent cover within the next few hours and I can see a fairly decent one heading straight for Tyne & Wear. They look quite impressive out of my upstairs window, black bases with pinky tops..

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest from NW regarding the weekend

Cold Spell Update - What Happens Next?

Friday and into the weekend is beginning to look as though it will become a ‘battle ground’ across the UK as the high pressure to the north-east maintains cold conditions across the UK but with frontal systems attempting to move up into the UK. This scenario often brings a significant risk of some disruptive snowfall to parts of the UK and latest model guidance is signalling that risk during the course of Friday and into the weekend at the moment.

Bearing in mind that confidence in details is low at this stage, but excluding Ireland, parts of Wales, SW England and some other Southern areas of England, a zone of sleet and snow may move North-east during Friday, with perhaps Northern England and Scotland at primary risk of some significant accumulations.

http://www.netweathe...ryid=1348;sess=

battleground.png

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Minima temps of -7'c for the north pennines overnight. The SPINE race is now moving up along the Yorks/Cumbrian border and it's hard to imagine runners enduring these minima overnight temps with added fatigue and snow cover to boot. In contrast to a warm duvet next to the radiator here.

Posted

my gardenpost-8098-0-81106900-1358263387_thumb.jppost-8098-0-25749100-1358263463_thumb.jp

Looks like a decent cover there :)

Does look closer to 3 inches than 5, as you say, but it still looks nice.

Edited by Alza

Posted

my gardenpost-8098-0-81106900-1358263387_thumb.jppost-8098-0-25749100-1358263463_thumb.jp

Good job the boro aint playing this week at home going by the pic I saw before of the riverside's white pitch looks close to 4 inches to me

Posted

Is my thermometer broke, its says the lowest it got last night in Fenham was 1.0c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

We only call games off to annoy Newcastle fans. Anyway Nunthorpe in Middlesbrough six inches, and now very misty

post-17880-0-70136400-1358264592_thumb.j

Posted

Is my thermometer broke, its says the lowest it got last night in Fenham was 1.0c.

Maybe a bit high, but it didn't get that cold due to the feed of snow showers.

Posted

The temperature gadget is working again on the website apologies for the downtime. I use the gadget from the wunderground website so the issue was out of my control

http://darlington-weather.weebly.com/

Posted

eki8x.jpg

Blue sky with pink clouds to the east and snow on the ground. My favourite type of weather.

Posted

Is it me or does the 12z GFS look poor for here? We miss out while most get a massive amount of snow.

Posted

Is it me or does the 12z GFS look poor for here? We miss out while most get a massive amount of snow.

Doesn't look bad

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

And with 2 full days of models runs to go there will be many twists and turns yet

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

That doesn't reflect the charts very well I'd say. We'll be on the dregs end and a 20 mile shift south and we miss it.

Posted

Looks like the pennines are going to get buried over the weekend!

Posted

Run this from 66 to 92 and you'll see what I mean. Those pink ppn charts are misleading IMO.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs663.gif

^ Indeed. Bulk of the snow goes to NW England, Midlands and the SE. Very cold here though.

ECM/UKMO suites would be snowy here.

Is the frontal snow further N/gets further in against the block, IF?

Edited by NickR

Posted

Dry and cold up here at the weekend if the 12z GFS came off, but that's better than a marginal slushfest which is not out of the question on the east coast, and plenty of room for a snowy easterly to develop.

Posted

We're never going to get the most in the country when its travelling up from the South West, has the most land to cross before it reaches us. We ideally want it more tilted West so it only has to cross the Pennines, rather than the whole of England.