Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 16th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I think because so far this winter there been so many let downs, people think this one will be also so there will always be abit of caution.

I must admit in terms of depth I'm still unsure at this stage, the hot spots could see 10cm+ but I think a safer bet would be to say 5/10cm widely apart from the far East Coast of Kent at this stage.

My Kent Snow Risk Map will be updated later this evening.for anyone remotely interested lol

Posted

The winds have slanted more to the north in the north sea which isn't very good at all, they are not that strong either sad.png

Highest risk of snow is the far east, Margate/Dover however we need to look towards Friday now

I agree Friday should be special,problem is I have to work in London on nights and will be driving into it!!

Posted

Yes, if you have 12-18hrs of light-moderate snow then your going to get some pretty heavy and big accumulations.

Worth noting that the models weaken the front but re-energise it over the top of the SE...thats a trend well worth watching I feel.

Posted

Just got on the train @ Bracknell probs the most western point in our region.. I took the day off Friday because I'm clubbing tomorrow night. Now my boss is going to think I should spill the beans with the weather a bit more if Friday comes off

You have taken the day off cos your going clubbing the night before!!! LIGHTWEIGHTrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Have you noticed the wind change on Saturday into a NE'ly? that could keep it over us a touch longer imo

Posted

post-11122-0-80104500-1358338264_thumb.j

^^NMM hi res model showing the start of the front coming in on Friday

post-11122-0-89721900-1358338320_thumb.j

^^ some good strong precipitation!

Above are from the 06Z hi res NMM and below are the 12Z images

post-11122-0-48579400-1358356469_thumb.j

^^ slowly moving towards us, but the precipitation rates do drop a bit!

post-11122-0-20861300-1358356482_thumb.j

^^ again this shows the precipitation rates dropping but only because its come onto land....be interesting to see where this stalls!? Anywhere near the east and it'll pull moisture from the North Sea and surrounding areas!

Posted

Just nicked this from UKww - An ECM Chart for predicted snow depths at Midnight Saturday - Looks like that Model is going for the stall same as the Meto and 2" in the SE With not a lot along the South Coast!

Booooooooooooo

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/95624-potential-wintry-spell-mid-janbeyond-hopecast-chat/page__view__findpost__p__839307

Posted

Yes, if you have 12-18hrs of light-moderate snow then your going to get some pretty heavy and big accumulations.

Worth noting that the models weaken the front but re-energise it over the top of the SE...thats a trend well worth watching I feel.

Does the front actually stall over the southeast and then slide away to the south?

Posted

Looks like that Model is going for the stall same as the Meto and 2" in the SE With not a lot along the South Coast!

Booooooooooooo

http://www.ukweather...post__p__839307

Booooooo indeed, I'll just choose to ignore it then! :lol:

evening ALL- not sure if everyone read my post from this morning-

but my recommended chart was the T60 UKMO PPN - to see of there was any movement west of east of the front-

NOPE SMACK ON

U60-594.GIF?16-16

pivoting the same...

Also 2 points of note - again mentioned earlier-

* Removal of Snow to rain sunday- the updated UKMO 12z removes the rain threat from the region Sunday-

This will update on your apps & 5 day outlooks this eve ( as well as TV broadcasts)

* Mid term outlook & outlook to day 6 remains BITTER with more snow

sunday

UN96-21.GIF?16-17 COLD DRY & temps around 0 to -3c MAXIMA

monday

UN120-21.GIF?16-17 SNOW sliding across the capitol- esp the SW part

Tues

UN144-21.GIF?16-17 More snow- winds in the Eastern quadrent so NO atlantic air becoming established--

a cracking eve so far....

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Booooooo indeed, I'll just choose to ignore it then! laugh.png

Remember that's to 00:00 Saturday - the snow action (albeit light/moderate) still continues after that time for this region.

Think we can add 4-5 cm if we take it up to 12:00 Saturday.

Edited by mulzy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

met office's 3-5 day forecast:

'A strong, bitterly cold wind developing Friday, and also with snow spreading eastwards. Less windy for Saturday, and also becoming milder, with rain expected later Sunday'

They think it won't be cold enough for the second slide to stay as snow, or even start as snow, lets hope they are wrong, we will have cold temps due to landed snow by then, should help a bit anyway.

Posted

Anyway, we need Yamkin to come on and lower our expectations. The ramping in here has got silly! rofl.gif

Posted

Any chance that any of those showers in the NorthSea are going to start heading for UK soil? Been watching them sail past me down the Channel all day!

evening ALL- not sure if everyone read my post from this morning-

but my recommended chart was the T60 UKMO PPN - to see of there was any movement west of east of the front-

NOPE SMACK ON

http://www.meteociel...0-594.GIF?16-16

pivoting the same...

Also 2 points of note - again mentioned earlier-

* Removal of Snow to rain sunday- the updated UKMO 12z removes the rain threat from the region Sunday-

This will update on your apps & 5 day outlooks this eve ( as well as TV broadcasts)

* Mid term outlook & outlook to day 6 remains BITTER with more snow

sunday

... COLD DRY & temps around 0 to -3c MAXIMA

monday

... SNOW sliding across the capitol- esp the SW part

Tues

... More snow- winds in the Eastern quadrent so NO atlantic air becoming established--

a cracking eve so far....

S

Hi Steve, why do we get that intensification of snowfall overnight fri/sat in the se? any theories?