Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 16th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Good evening all. I was lucky enough to photograph a sun dog late this afternoon so was hoping to post a photo. Unfortunately Im making a dogs breakfast and cant even manage to change my profile picture .....fool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Brian gaze of two latest tweet, seems hes looking for every possible,solution/evolution, for án abrupt end to the cold and potentialy very snowy weather.as hes forecast for january overall looks set to be blown completly out of the water.....

Posted

Any chance that any of those showers in the NorthSea are going to start heading for UK soil? Been watching them sail past me down the Channel all day!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Thames

Wind turning se in thames, dover and humber, could be making an eastwards trajectory overnight if you look at shipping forecast, but not sure of steering upper winds.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

They think it won't be cold enough for the second slide to stay as snow, or even start as snow, lets hope they are wrong, we will have cold temps due to landed snow by then, should help a bit anyway.

Based on the latest data just in that looks unlikely - its been a great evening so farcold.gifclap.gif *She touches wood it continues*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Any chance that any of those showers in the NorthSea are going to start heading for UK soil? Been watching them sail past me down the Channel all day!

Hi Lottie,

Still think there remains the chance of a few snow showers clipping the coastal fringes, a line say east of Herne Bay down to Folkestone and looking at the Meto forecast that threat remains into tomorrow morning. Nothing too heavy I would've thought but you could get a covering out of it.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Brian gaze of two latest tweet, seems hes looking for every possible,solution/evolution, for án abrupt end to the cold and potentialy very snowy weather.as hes forecast for january overall looks set to be blown completly out of the water.....

He always sits on the fence until the last possible minute

Posted

evening ALL- not sure if everyone read my post from this morning-

but my recommended chart was the T60 UKMO PPN - to see of there was any movement west of east of the front-

NOPE SMACK ON

U60-594.GIF?16-16

pivoting the same...

Also 2 points of note - again mentioned earlier-

* Removal of Snow to rain sunday- the updated UKMO 12z removes the rain threat from the region Sunday-

This will update on your apps & 5 day outlooks this eve ( as well as TV broadcasts)

* Mid term outlook & outlook to day 6 remains BITTER with more snow

sunday

UN96-21.GIF?16-17 COLD DRY & temps around 0 to -3c MAXIMA

monday

UN120-21.GIF?16-17 SNOW sliding across the capitol- esp the SW part

Tues

UN144-21.GIF?16-17 More snow- winds in the Eastern quadrent so NO atlantic air becoming established--

a cracking eve so far....

S

Thanks Steve great update.

I see GP was ramping up prospects regarding the outlook ~

How about a continued cold and snowy spell but with even colder weather to come from the north east with no breakdown and any atlantic attack is met with two fingers from the east.

Sounds very possible after all GP has been banging on about the end of the month since November and we are not too far from the end of the month.

Intresting and snowy times to come me thinks & hopes.

Posted

Just nicked this from UKww - An ECM Chart for predicted snow depths at Midnight Saturday - Looks like that Model is going for the stall same as the Meto and 2" in the SE With not a lot along the South Coast!

Booooooooooooo

http://www.ukweather...post__p__839307

Ah thats fine, its better than nothing like we had on Monday. I think there has to be alot of uncertainty with regards to how far east this front gets.

Historically, they rarely get as far NE as the models are predicting. Of course thats not to say this won't happen, but just worth keeping it in mind.

Any changes will VERY likely be to the west (IE less snow for us.) Situation is nearly identical to Feb 1996 which didn't give a great deal for our neck of the woods.

Anything that does fall is here for the long haul though.

Posted

Emergency meeting at Croydon Council regarding the 2 day non stop heavy snow starting this Friday afternoon. Loads of snow and the depths will exceed expectations help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

post-2721-0-28457300-1358358404_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowpocalypse

Hi all...

First post so please be nice.

I'm so on the fence I have splinters.

I've been caught out so many times that I'm now desperately trying not to get my hopes up again and have been forecasting rain all afternoon.

Please can I have a little snow so I can build my yearly 8' snowman?

I've got the carrot ready and everything.

Currently -1 here in Woking with a Dew point of -1

Chris

Posted

Thanks Steve great update.

I see GP was ramping up prospects regarding the outlook ~

How about a continued cold and snowy spell but with even colder weather to come from the north east with no breakdown and any atlantic attack is met with two fingers from the east.

Sounds very possible after all GP has been banging on about the end of the month since November and we are not too far from the end of the month.

Intresting and snowy times to come me thinks & hopes.

Hi Steve. I am usually one of the more pessimistic members but I am starting to believe we could be in for a prolonged cold spell, perhaps followed by an early spring. That is just my hunch and would do just fine for me! A total hunch/guess however.

Emergency meeting at Croydon Council regarding the 2 day non stop heavy snow starting this Friday afternoon. Loads of snow and the depths will exceed expectations help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

post-2721-0-28457300-1358358404_thumb.jp

Yammers are you willing to reveal the wording of the Met Office advisory ? Cheers mate

Edited by Downpour

Posted

Will the meteo update their forecast tonight? Wait until 11-12 tomorrow? Looks interesting but looking at the charts am doubting it will even get this far.... May keep onto the cold though..... Am not going to get excited yet..... Im taking this weekend as a nowcasting looking at radar etc..... Ps my partners meant to be training it to manchester for man city vs fulham match saturday morning....ouch.....

Posted

Now might be the the time to go and get milk and bread in before the rush starts! Our village goes mad when there is snow and people buy up everything, even all the vegtables are gone.

Edited by West Sussex Kate

Posted

Accuweather app going for 53.6mm of snowfall PPN Friday/Saturday lmfao I will buy a keg for everybody if that happened...

That's not 5.3cm that's 53cm lol!!

It seems their computer has been hacked by that 'journalist' at the Daily Express :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Got down to -2C here this morning and frost persisted in the shade all day, very icy and frozen over in waterlogged areas too, now 0.3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very warm (not hot!)

The closer we get the greater feeling I have that a lot of people are going to feel underwhelmed, will it snow? Yes. Is it going to be snowmageddon? I fear not, but you never know â„⛄.I just see that front stalling and not moving far enough east. As always more chances around the corner! Mr murr will put me right, I hope.

Posted

Hi Steve. I am usually one of the more pessimistic members but I am starting to believe we could be in for a prolonged cold spell, perhaps followed by an early spring. That is just my hunch and would do just fine for me! A total hunch/guess however.

Yammers are you willing to reveal the wording of the Met Office advisory ? Cheers mate

In my own words (if you know what I mean), it's going to be bad with more snow than what we anticipate help.gif

Away for a short while..........Need to let all of this sink in biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Now might be the the time to go and get milk and bread in before the rush starts! Our village goes mad when there is snow and people buy up everything, even all the vegtables are gone.

Strange that - almost a primeval instinct!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

In the 24hrs I have been a member and been posting in this regional thread I'm amazed at the amount of people that need to be assured rofl.gifnea.gif

Posted

Isn't 53.6mm actually 5.36cm? <fails to understand post>

Yes but in snow terms each mm is roughly a cm

Edited by Weathizard