Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 16th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Yeah but most of the heavy snow will have fallen by then...it's always the same along the South Coast of England, it could be snowing on Mercury, indeed it could be snowing in the inner core of the sun...and it would still rain here :-(...I'm still hopeful, but I'm not getting my hopes up...if needs be I'll get some warm clothes on and talk a trundle up onto the South Downs !

I used to live up in Hollingbury when I lived in Brighton as a child. It could be a blizzard up there but raining in the centre. So yes, I would advise a trip up to the Downs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Update fax charts about 11 tonight.

Can wait. Thanks as always for your great input John.

Posted

Looking forward to your update John.

I am a novice at reading faxes. But my heart stopped when I saw the T+72 chart. To me that said the main front didn't make it. But we have another feature to soften the blow, that stalls and pivots SE, dragging in Easterlies as it moves away.

I guess I need to practise reading them a lot more.

fax72s.gif

Edited by Shrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Thanks John. Love the snow but a bit worried about how I'm going to get home

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Yeah but most of the heavy snow will have fallen by then...it's always the same along the South Coast of England, it could be snowing on Mercury, indeed it could be snowing in the inner core of the sun...and it would still rain here :-(...I'm still hopeful, but I'm not getting my hopes up...if needs be I'll get some warm clothes on and talk a trundle up onto the South Downs !

I was rather sceptical up till this evening, but the current charts are excellent for anyone near the south coast as well. The low undercuts and pulls low temperatures and dewpoints off the continent. If you look at the latest NAE you will see that it actually gets colder through Friday morning and dewpoints are well below zero. That means snowsmile.png

In a sense it is starting to look not too different to the Feb snowfall of last year

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Now might be the the time to go and get milk and bread in before the rush starts! Our village goes mad when there is snow and people buy up everything, even all the vegtables are gone.

and most of the veg will be carrots! :)

Posted

Just been on the MOD thread. ECM an absolute corker. Forget '47 and '63 HELLO '13. I'm off out now to buy some huskies and a snow mobile. Laters everyone. ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Great updates, cheers everyone taking the time to do so. Am v happy the rain threat seems to have eased for Sunday with us staying in v cold air :) That's more like it!

Posted

Just been on the MOD thread. ECM an absolute corker. Forget '47 and '63 HELLO '13. I'm off out now to buy some huskies and a snow mobile. Laters everyone. ;-)

Almost a corker. Need a correction South for our region for snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Far be it from me to question that chart, but I'm in the "no snow" zone and yet the MO has me down for 9 hours of snow up to Midnight Friday, 6 of which are heavy. Surely a bit of it will stick?

Posted

Almost a corker. Need a correction South for our region for snow.

Yeah I know mate. But for cold it's great. I was joking a bit as well.. :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

If the ECM verified I'm not sure that we would need the coldest uppers for snow. We are on the polar side of the jetstream with a continued feed of easterly winds from the continent providing a lot of low level cold. Some of the snowfalls back in 1947 and 62/63 were carbon copies of what we are currently seeing predictedsmile.png

Posted

Great updates, cheers everyone taking the time to do so. Am v happy the rain threat seems to have eased for Sunday with us staying in v cold air :) That's more like it!

My confidence is also edging up for our location Staines-- indeed I am starting to think we may be among the best placed in our region in terms of depths. Very dangerous thinking. Need to regain my pessimism :-)

Edited by Downpour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

As if today couldn't get any better out comes a cracking ECM and Lucy Verasamy on ITV air_kiss.gif

and just to add, any keen gardeners on here, just wondering what to do with my potted bay tree during this spell, keep it outside in a sheltered spot or bring indoors? Any advice welcome :)

Edited by Jezzer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Well it's Sod's law ,I was meant to be going on a date on Saturday night ,what are the chances of that coming off lol,we could go sledging I suppose 😄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

My confidence is also edging up for our location Staines-- indeed I am starting to think we may be among the best placed in our region in terms of depths. Very dangerous thinking. Need to regain my pessimism :-)

yes does sound bias, however at the mo, factual, seems west maybe best for our region,but subject to change of course...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

bbc 1 snow friday then becoming less cold mmmmm help mr murr

As if today couldn't get any better out comes a cracking ECM and Lucy Verasamy on ITV air_kiss.gif

and just to add, any keen gardeners on here, just wondering what to do with my potted bay tree during this spell, keep it outside in a sheltered spot or bring indoors? Any advice welcome :)

my mum always brings hers in to her conservatory :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Dont, think peter cockroft, has seen ecm roll out,,,;-)..