Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 17th Januray 2013, 12z Onwards

Brad lough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Here is a current radar grab showing several areas of precipitation, all of which appear to be going nowhere rather quickly. This precipitation currently is rather light in nature and may not even be reaching the ground. As expected, based on some of the earlier NAE output, as a result, there may be some slight accumulations out and about before the main event.

post-7183-0-44138700-1358440464_thumb.pn

*Please be aware, based on current analysis, that the morning rush hour commute will be badly affected by the incoming weather system*

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Mondays best chart for the Westcountry! Anything within the 0 contour is 100% snow.

Quite remarkable really that after tonights/tomorrows event we have the risk of even more snow, lush!

Rmgfs993.gif

GURT LUSH!!!

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Right I am confused just got in and listened to Geoff Twentyman on BBC radio Bristol he said snow turning to rain by midday, is this truehelp.gif

In Cornwall apparently it could turn to rain according to BBCnews forecast a minute ago.Snow and heavy over Bristol way at Midday it looked like.

My knees and joints are really playing me up.I'm going out to get petrol, coal and wood plus pain relief just in case getting about becomes"interesting"

Posted

Oh dear it's not looking good for us Devonians according to the latest Met update. Think iM going to have to stay up all night to hopefully see some snow falling, sounds like heavy rain for us in the morning. I really hope it's a bit more SW than forecasted.

It's always the same they say snow for days and then when we get there all it dous is bloody rain. sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Now we are coming up to the actual event, the Radar/window will be the only place to see how much snow is falling/might fall. The Met warnings are the best broad signal but within that there will be variations that the models would never pick up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see localised accumulations exceeding the Mets warning figures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather

Nothing yet in Southampton.. . . . . . Few flakes earlier though :-)

Had quite a bit of snow this morning .My cat was not impressed.My Kids however were.

They have been told that if it snows overnight don't bother going to school.

Posted

snow getting heavy in swindon...starting to lie on soil

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Afternoon all, I think I’ve possibly slipped over the line of bonkers today with all the excitement of what’s coming our way…drive to work was accompanied by light snow flurries, hooray, thought I, a sign of things to come. I did the decent thing and phoned my boss to warn him of the incoming snow - he’s a QC and I knew he was going to be cloistered in court in London all week, completely oblivious to weather forecasts, suggested it may be a good idea to come home tonight and work from home tomorrow. I went and spread grit up and down the paths/steps at the pensioners housing in the village, checked if they needed shopping or coal stocking up. All the while dreaming of tomorrow’s snowfest… Leaving work, there were a few spots of drizzle coming down, odd thought I, doesn’t bode well. Driving home the cars coming towards me had their lights and wipers on, I could see the Mendip hills in the distance and they were green, not white…I start to get a little concerned that it’s all gone pear shaped. Listening to Steve Wright, he starts talking about the snow and how bad it’s going to be, then he mentions the areas affected….Wales, Midlands and the NORTH WEST!!! I’ve no idea what the other motorists thought at the traffic lights as they witnessed a middle aged woman ranting at the radio whilst banging the steering wheel, “No! I don’t ******** believe it! That’s the last ****** weather forecast I’m ever going to watch!†. So it was with some trepidation that I opened this thread…. I guess Wrighty got it wrong. Hooray! But for a moment there, he got me, so if you’re reading this Mr. Wright, or anyone here knows someone who knows someone, who maybe able to get hold of him, give him a clip round the ear from me for making me think someone had nicked all our snow.

I’m going for a lay down, I can’t cope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

In Cornwall apparently it could turn to rain according to BBCnews forecast a minute ago.Snow and heavy over Bristol way at Midday it looked like.

My knees and joints are really playing me up.I'm going out to get petrol, coal and wood plus pain relief just in case getting about becomes"interesting"

Thanks checking all available forecast outlets now twitter, meto, here and lamppost.

Posted

snow getting heavy in swindon...starting to lie on soil

Starting to snow in Petersfield, light but biggish flakes and settling. That wasn't forecasted when I left this forum this morning! Looking at the radar more on the way!

Posted

Any chance you can dig out one of your famous Snow Ramps?

:good:

Let's see who has bragging rights in the ruler stakes tomorrow!

massbalance1.gif

Posted

I'm glued to the radar already lol

And the front is already looking very intense - no wonder the warnings were issued!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Now we are coming up to the actual event, the Radar/window will be the only place to see how much snow is falling/might fall. The Met warnings are the best broad signal but within that there will be variations that the models would never pick up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see localised accumulations exceeding the Mets warning figures.

I completely agree Chris. At this stage I don't pay much attaention to TV Forecasts. They never get it completely right. I remeber Feb 09 they said it would clear by 11.00am and we had prolonged snow showers for the rest of the day. I suspect some of us will get larger totals than expected

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Incoming.....

Second again, Coast. blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Saw a couple of snow flakes earlier on today in Exeter, just seen Ian F has has tweeted an amber warning for Exeter for tomorrow on METO

Posted

Hmm been looking at the radar all day and I must admit, although I was not expecting anything today, Trowbridge seems to have its deflector shields activated as everything is avoiding us........It better not do that tomorrow !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Temps rising here all day here now 5.1c with a southerly wind.

Barring a change of wind direction to easterly, and advection of colder temps overnight, I can only see rain falling here tomorrow.

Posted

has the earlier precip thats now over swindon skirted around bristol? i know its not the main stuff but just wondering

Posted

Info please,during the day some very light snowflakes,coming home just now its raining,its not a wind up im about 10 miles south of Salisbury,anyone else seeing this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Yes the ppn across England has and continues to grow, which is a lovely supprise, I have a dusting on all surfaces and its still snowing !!

As for tomorrow , the snow should be heavy until 1pm ish , then consistent lighter snow in the afternoon.fantasitc, hoping for a good 6inches hear !!

Posted

Second again, Coast. blum.gif

But still number 1! :lol: