Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 17th Januray 2013, 12z Onwards

Brad lough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm showing 4.8C and Dew Point -1C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Evening everyone, we're all getting very excited in the SE thread but sure you must be in meltdown

I'm working tomorrow so should any of you want to send your best snow pics to possibly be used on the BBC please send them to yourpics@bbc.co.uk with details of location etc.

I'll try to remain impartial when picking the best and be sure to check out the BBC News Website's Live Page tomorrow am smile.png

Enjoy what's coming and take care! drinks.gif

Posted

I'm showing 4.8C and Dew Point -1C

Weird!! Im higher ground to you in Ferndown, its Temperature 5.0 °C Dew Point 0.4 °C

Where are you getting that from? Check this link for poole

http://www.pooleharbourweather.com/weather/

Edited by Rapodo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Ummmm.... It's raining here? Wells, Somerset :( only a few spots but I don't think it's snow

Posted

(Hello Severe Siberian icy blast wub.png - I was wondering if Ian had been on too)

Currently 1.3c here and we have had little snow flurries all afternoon! Really hoping for a good dumping of the white stuff overnight.

The school has sent out an email saying they will let us know by 8.15am if the school will be closed due to staff not being able to get in... Unfortunately the teachers are stubborn buggars that appear to love their jobs so I think they will risk life and limb to get in, but fingers crossed for a snow day! I can take the kids to the office for a few hours if necessary and then we get to make snowmen and play on sledges :D

I like the idea of putting all our ice cubes outside to lower the temps laugh.png I'd be happy to decant my whole freezer contents if it would help!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Something coming down here atm. Looks like wet rain blum.gif

Edited by Dave Kightley

Posted

Weird!! Im higher ground to you in Ferndown, its Temperature 5.0 °C Dew Point 0.4 °C

Well sorry to hear that?

Posted

The lamp post near my house has stopped working! Have reported it to the powers that be but still not fixed. Don't they know there is night time snow viewing to be done! Having to resort to watching the Petersfield town webcam to spot how heavy the snow is.

Posted

I see some people are worrying about the current dew points or getting any rain at the moment.

As the front edges east the winds will pull round to the se and that much colder air and lower dew points will be pulled nw out of France.

Posted

The latest surface plot:

uk_large.gif?

You can see the Southerly wind that has elevated the temperatures along the coast from roughly Lymington Westwards. When the wind swings back round and the normal diurnal cooling takes effect, these temperatures should drop back down. What I find really interesting is the low dew points looking across the channel. Even -1 in the middle of the channel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Rain here still. Keep looking out in the hope it will of changed but nope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Just 2c.Dry.ESE breeze 5 mph...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

(Hello Severe Siberian icy blast wub.png - I was wondering if Ian had been on too)

Currently 1.3c here and we have had little snow flurries all afternoon! Really hoping for a good dumping of the white stuff overnight.

The school has sent out an email saying they will let us know by 8.15am if the school will be closed due to staff not being able to get in... Unfortunately the teachers are stubborn buggars that appear to love their jobs so I think they will risk life and limb to get in, but fingers crossed for a snow day! I can take the kids to the office for a few hours if necessary and then we get to make snowmen and play on sledges biggrin.png

I like the idea of putting all our ice cubes outside to lower the temps laugh.png I'd be happy to decant my whole freezer contents if it would help!

My kid's school has sent exactly the same letter I think. Will let us know by 8.15 too! But if things work out right then I'm sure we'll know well before then :)

Posted

Currently snowing North of the South Downs on the A3, was really coming down at one point. Not causing any trouble luckily.

Dry here with a temp of 2.1c , DP nearly at -2c

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

so you guys with the experience & knowledge have been saying for the last few days that the models underestimate the strength of the cold blocks in these scenarios & everything gets backed west nearer the event (i understand this has happened!), question is do you think we have seen the end of the westward corrections or do you think there could be a little more of one in the 18z?

Pass, but some of the respected guys think this first event may only be the start of a few cold incursion/borderline snow events. I must say, I agree with them, especially with talk of contingency meetings. It'll be cobra meetings next, although that last comment is slightly tongue in cheek.

Heres a couple of thoughts, based on yesterdays 12z suite and not a lot has changed since, I can assure you of that,

http://forum.netweat...20#entry2516741

and

http://forum.netweat...20#entry2516678

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

this front that is coming through, isnt the main event is it?

What one?

The one over the UK isnt..

The one out to the west I *think* is...? Yet its moving in a bit too fast if you ask me.. So not sure... ?>?>?>?

post-182-0-01082700-1358443895_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I see some people are worrying about the current dew points or getting any rain at the moment.

As the front edges east the winds will pull round to the se and that much colder air and lower dew points will be pulled nw out of France.

Thanks Nick,

Was thinking how is it going to snow @ 3.6c and a front coming in from the Atlantic, wheres the cold air, now that answers my question

Posted

Hi Nick

Appreciate your input as always, thanks for dropping in!

:-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

He has been quiet on twitter, guess he is busy studying charts.

I don't think he done the lunchtime forecast either? Not sure if he normally does, maybe a day off, not sure really.

Posted

The latest surface plot:

uk_large.gif?

You can see the Southerly wind that has elevated the temperatures along the coast from roughly Lymington Westwards. When the wind swings back round and the normal diurnal cooling takes effect, these temperatures should drop back down. What I find really interesting is the low dew points looking across the channel. Even -1 in the middle of the channel.

Low Dew points are due to the dry air mass flowing from the continent

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Rain here still. Keep looking out in the hope it will of changed but nope.

Patience Grasshopper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

thanks nick s nice of you to pop in is the likehood of snow to rain on the southcoast a likely outcome ?