Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - Cold and Snow 17/01/13 ->

Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

why do you think that

The showers are pushing west already so I can't see them staying offshore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder snow

Snowstorm i still cannot believe you missed out on Tuesday, i work on portrack lane and it was really heavy there, you will Deffo get your turn this weekend, keep the faith, hope the match gets called off tomorrow mind, don't think i can hack boro getting mullered at leicester live on sky lol

Posted

BBC look north forecast updated, only until 1700 tomorrow, but very snowy for the NE from mid-morning.

Yeah, it looks like we will be in a prime spot for significant snow as usual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Yeah, it looks like we will be in a prime spot for significant snow as usual.

It's great to be positioned right on the edge of the North Sea. Cold air, passing through less cold sea, plenty of moisture, little modification of course, and convection supreme. It's lovely to have a little convective space between us and mainland Europe :)

Posted

Snowstorm i still cannot believe you missed out on Tuesday, i work on portrack lane and it was really heavy there, you will Deffo get your turn this weekend, keep the faith, hope the match gets called off tomorrow mind, don't think i can hack boro getting mullered at leicester live on sky lol

Keep the faith haha, Mogga is taking us up....well hopefully!

Posted

Looking like the western front will miss us so all our snow will come from the north sea. Ideal senario I'd say. Frontal snow is never as good as off the north sea. Remember 2010. It all came from the north sea. Lake effect snow for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

The showers are pushing west already so I can't see them staying offshore.

mate im confused lol you said the showers will be staying offshore then ya saying you cant see them staying offshore

Posted

Looking like the western front will miss us so all our snow will come from the north sea. Ideal senario I'd say. Frontal snow is never as good as off the north sea. Remember 2010. It all came from the north sea. Lake effect snow for us.

I was saying this since about Tuesday! I kept willing the front to be pushed SW by the models, and it was.

Posted

SES (sea-effect snow) is what we called it I think, and yes, it's a truly marvellous thing.

post-12276-0-37324300-1358462546_thumb.p

Sting of higher upper humidity pushing in tomorrow evening- loadsa snow! I believe 'bosh' is how the fine folks at Geordie Shore HQ would describe it.

Posted

mate im confused lol you said the showers will be staying offshore then ya saying you cant see them staying offshore

No no, I just said there was a chance, but its unlikely they will. So 5cm would be nice as at least it means the showers came onshore.

Basically, I'm expecting a snow event tomorrow, but this setup is messy so nothing is nailed! (Apart from the snow showers on Saturday, which I'm 90% confident of)

Posted

He said it was 'possible'- though it's unlikely :)

Posted

It's lovely to have a little convective space between us and mainland Europe smile.png

It's nice to have a space between us and Europe full stop wink.png

I'm so excited for these showers tomorrow, Bring on the North Sea and all of its snowy fury!

Posted

If we do get 2-4 inches tomorrow, same again Saturday, maybe some more on Sunday, all on top of Tuesday's couple of inches, we should see the depths really building up! 3rd winter out of 4 with deep snow by the looks of it, unless it all goes belly up of course.

Maybe I shouldn't jump the gun just yet.

Posted

I think Friday and Saturday definitely have the potential for 5cms each, and Sunday sees the showers peter out, but still seem pretty organised and intense.

We got 10cm in February 2009 from a one day easterly, so we could even exceed that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

No no, I just said there was a chance, but its unlikely they will. So 5cm would be nice as at least it means the showers came onshore.

Basically, I'm expecting a snow event tomorrow, but this setup is messy so nothing is nailed! (Apart from the snow showers on Saturday, which I'm 90% confident of)

sorry mate its me being thick n reading it wrong

Keep the faith haha, Mogga is taking us up....well hopefully!

in mogga we trust lol

Posted

sorry mate its me being thick n reading it wrong

It's ok I was a bit ambiguous.

Posted

We'll be lucky to see that stuff over E Yorks reach here. It might skirt the beach, but I can't see it coming this far W.

Posted

Feb 2009 was superb IIRC- I don't think we could get that. Mind you, something similar would be portrayed by the humidity/upper air profiles. There is no local cold upper low however- and the atlantic is closer (which fuels it a little I guess).

Posted

SES (sea-effect snow) is what we called it I think, and yes, it's a truly marvellous thing.

post-12276-0-37324300-1358462546_thumb.p

Sting of higher upper humidity pushing in tomorrow evening- loadsa snow! I believe 'bosh' is how the fine folks at Geordie Shore HQ would describe it.

Lol, what you doing watching Geordie Shore at 15 yrs old, you'll be hearing the odd swear word and thinking all grown up Geordies occassionally get drunk lmao!!

Karl

Posted

BBC suggesting heavy convection from the n sea will quickly generate heavy snow showers from noon onwards tomorrow with these set to last into Sunday some favoured spots could see quite a lot of snow by Sundato the strong east wind they should easily make it to Cumbria so even if the region gets little from the front the bonus instead away from far west looks like being a potent convective easterly cc

Posted

Lol, what you doing watching Geordie Shore at 15 yrs old, you'll be hearing the odd swear word and thinking all grown up Geordies occassionally get drunk lmao!!

Karl

Pah, you're right, that's nothing like the reality.

whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Karl

WELL AYEEEE

just had to haha