Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 17th January 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Ok stupid question, it's gonna snow tomorrow but is it gonna settle, coz I mean we've had some on and off all week now and nothing has amounted to much on the ground just puddles - can I start to get a bit excited that the new snow suit and sledge for my boy will get use at long last?

Posted

Jp can I ask will the streamers reach East Sussex as I just want a simple explanation on what wind direction suits my location

Not many more posts from me tonight- a couple of points-

The 18z NAE has snow ( all be it getting lighter) from T18- T 48, so some 30 hours of possible continuous snow, before a small window ( that may NOT occur) of drier weather before things close in again from the south-

Its hard at this stage not to look at the radar & put the figures in our heads & not come up with more than 7/8cm- it doesnt add up & as the hours tick by, maybe just maybe this is 'our time'-

I guess the key thing for me which is the rare part is that once the snow clears we dont warm up- I can recall- Dec 10, feb 2009 all had deep snow here- circa 30cm that all got wiped out-

heres the 2 offending charts-

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/2009/archivesnh-2009-2-3-12-0.png looks similar to the UKM0 96 tonight-

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/2010/archivesnh-2010-12-4-0-0.png Note another southerly flow-

So after the 72 hours on offer tonight im pretty sure we have 24 hours on offer where it doesnt all go t*ts up-

The key for the sustainability of our snow is indeed deflecting lows to our south-

so what wold actually make my day tomorrow- isnt so much the snow depth- but the UKMO 96 moving from this

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2013011712/UW96-21.GIF?17-18

to this-

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013011718/gfs-0-96.png?18

just to check the surface over night temps-

http://91.121.16.5/modeles_gfs/runs/2013011718/108-778.GIF?17-18 perfect

so in summary- we are going under... the white ghost is coming & it SHOULD be 72 hours of exciting window/ radar watching- lets face it the vast majority look forward to this weather event every year & only occasionally does it come....

so eyes down - heads down for the night- ready for the Tyson V Bruno main event tomorrow & sunday again- MAYBE just maybe someone will sneak 30 CM...- somewhere possibly in the NW part of west sussex-

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Like I said yesterday (if this doesn't say cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) Cockcroft always backtracks at the last minute if its on

Maybe he doesn't like giving false hopes when it comes to snow

We would all be slating him if he ramped last Monday

It works both ways

Posted

Any chance of us around Cambridge getting any tomorrow or at the weekend? Or are we going to be unlucky and miss out on this beautiful stuff :(

Posted

How can it be -1 tommorow day if its struggling to get below 2c tonight?

We had three hours of sunshine today and there's barely any wind. The temps are dropping off slowly now and should fall nicely when the SE wind kicks in later. I think it might be a bit higher than -1 in central London tomorrow but not much. Dewpoint at Northolt is -3c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Ok stupid question, it's gonna snow tUomorrow but is it gonna settle, coz I mean we've had some on and off all week now and nothing has amounted to much on the ground just puddles - can I start to get a bit excited that the new snow suit and sledge for my boy will get use at long last?

In a word YES!!!

Posted

PPVM89.gif?31415

UW96-21.GIF?17-18

PPVO89.gif?31415

UW120-21.GIF?17-18

12_UKMet_H500_PSL_96_144.gif?31415

holding fire on these for now

monday and tuesday could be heavy snow

or a slim possiblity of rain due to slight warmer mixture of air

more tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Well he must have hung his head in shame after doing that forecast. His reputation in tatters once again. BRING BACK ROB!!!

What I don't get is surely the presenters who do the forecasts are doing it based on what they have been given or do they base their forecasts on the charts themselves?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

In a word YES!!!

Excited.com

Posted

Ok stupid question, it's gonna snow tomorrow but is it gonna settle, coz I mean we've had some on and off all week now and nothing has amounted to much on the ground just puddles - can I start to get a bit excited that the new snow suit and sledge for my boy will get use at long last?

Will be fine this time Chelle

Main difference is the ground is now frozen solid whereas it was a mud bath start of the week.

I cleared the car this morning and some water went onto the road, even though the air temp got upto +3c today the ground temperature was freezing all day and where the water had run down the road was frozen into ice even in direct sunlight at 2pm today

Temp now 0.1c

Dewpoint is -4.5c

Edited by Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon

Right ladies and gents, I'm off to bed.

Have to be up at 4am for an especially early start at the BBC. I'll be helping with the Live Snow Page on the news website, adding tweets, pics etc.

It's set to be a fab day, just hope I can get home ok mid afternoon, South West trains may cause issues. I've got the ski gear ready, including some very fetching thermals so I'm ready to rumble.

I'll hopefully be popping in here tomorrow to share the fun and games. Good luck everyone and take care, this should be memorable!!

Night all

BRING IT ON drinks.gif

Fetching thermals ,i love it lol .Hope you have a great day & u 2 take care !

Posted

In case no-one has noticed, Netweather broke the record for most users online again tonight - 2,736 - just over half an hour ago. I have a funny feeling that could be broken again in coming days if this cold spell continues, and especially if the front delivers tomorrow. Well done Netweather clapping.gif

Posted

Haha loving the (if this doesn't say cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) Cockroft filter. Brilliant.

Edited by Shrimper

Like I said yesterday (if this doesn't say (if this doesn't say cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) Cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) (if this doesn't say cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) Cockcroft always backtracks at the last minute if its on

Maybe he doesn't like giving false hopes when it comes to snow

We would all be slating him if he ramped last Monday

It works both ways

And he did predict quite a bit of snow in December which didn't happen at all so he isn't always pushing mild weather.

Posted

Will be fine this time Chelle

Main difference is the ground is now frozen solid whereas it was a mud bath start of the week.

I cleared the car this morning and some water went onto the road, even though the air temp got upto +3c today the ground temperature was freezing all day and where the water had run was frozen into ice even in direct sunlight at 2pm today

Great to hear this :)

Posted

Any chance of us around Cambridge getting any tomorrow or at the weekend? Or are we going to be unlucky and miss out on this beautiful stuff :(

If u go by the nae and the weather warnings may be 5cm

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Colder air arriving from the east as the wind strengthens? Though admittedly, temps are at least a few degrees higher across the SE atm than what the 18z GFS suggests!

Posted

Colder air arriving from the east as the wind strengthens? Though admittedly, temps are at least a few degrees higher across the SE atm than what the 18z GFS suggests!

Marginal, anyone?

If, after all this, tomorrow is another slushfest (we've had a couple here this week), I'm gonna....

Mind you, ground is frozen solid right now. Air temp on or slightly unda freezing

Edited by abovefreezing

Posted

Marginal, anyone?

Not in a million mate.

Guest bjaykent

This doesn't even look marginal on the south coast tomorrow, once those soutth-east winds pick up temps will fall.

Posted

Jp can I ask will the streamers reach East Sussex as I just want a simple explanation on what wind direction suits my location

Can anyone answer my question??? Just new to all this streamer talk lol