Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

There are some very enthusiastic posters in this regional thread but there is just a little to much impatience to go with it from some members leading to a rollercoaster at times. It must be very confusing for casual members dropping in for a quick update! It's like game on one minute then game over two pages and 5 minutes later when some site or other updates its output. Highly entertaining but also very confusing :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Exactly! You've hit the nail on the bloody head!

A couple of flakes in the breeze here and we will be lucky to see 3cm tomorrow just as I predicted. Those further West and South should at least see a decent covering though.

Posted

There are some very enthusiastic posters in this regional thread but there is just a little to much impatience to go with it from some members leading to a rollercoaster at times. It must be very confusing for casual members dropping in for a quick update! It's like game on one minute then game over two pages and 5 minutes later when some site or other updates its output. Highly entertaining but also very confusing :D

over the last few days I've been delighted, depressed, delighted, on the verge of throwing my ipad out the window and so on. It's killing me!

1st frame on the latest GFS isn't bad from being far off! lol

There are some very enthusiastic posters in this regional thread but there is just a little to much impatience to go with it from some members leading to a rollercoaster at times. It must be very confusing for casual members dropping in for a quick update! It's like game on one minute then game over two pages and 5 minutes later when some site or other updates its output. Highly entertaining but also very confusing biggrin.png

I won't lie I'm a prick when I think I'm right! lol

Posted

1st frame on the latest GFS isn't bad from being far off! lol

I won't lie I'm a prick when I think I'm right! lol

I actually think it's great that you stick to your guns and say what you see. At the end of the day there are no prizes for being right it's just a whole lot easier when folk aren't having mood swings separated by 5 minutes lol

GFS sticking to its guns so far!

It is but NAE says NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Just about to post the same!

May be some consolation that the NAE chart for 3am doesn't match the radar - the southern part of the front has moved further east over Wales and the southwest, but held back a bit over Northern Ireland.

The precipitation accumulation charts are bad with the northwest doing the worst out of the whole of England (apart from those getting rain in far southwest) because the eastern side gets more from the showers over the weekend.

Edited by Interitus

Posted

Is it normal to have such disagreement with only around 8 hours until this thing potentially lands here?

Very good GFS, If that verifies I will be very happy.

Edited by The Yellow Snowman

Posted

As things stand the GFS has resolutely stood out on its own wrt what the METO and the local high res models are saying. So my head says they are right and the GFS is somehow missing a trick. However the GFS has so far got the last few hours spot on with regards to the bonus snow and the progression so far of the main front over Wales. Still all to play for. We'll know better in a few hours if we see the front stall and begin to rotate I guess!

As things stand the GFS has resolutely stood out on its own wrt what the METO and the local high res models are saying. So my head says they are right and the GFS is somehow missing a trick. However the GFS has so far got the last few hours spot on with regards to the bonus snow and the progression so far of the main front over Wales. Still all to play for. We'll know better in a few hours if we see the front stall and begin to rotate I guess!

Trust me its going to happen, the GFS has finally delivered.

Posted

It's still snowing outside. 11 hours and a bit without a long pause now.

Off to bed, once again I've given myself less than 4 hours sleep, praying we get something like the GFS!

Edited by The Yellow Snowman

Posted

is it me or is the band that has been hanging around the in the middle of england from south to north getting a bit bigger?

also down south its not far off hitting the main band.

Posted

Yes it seems to be repeatedly getting "pepped up" as the main front moves in. Just speculating based on a combination of gut feeling and a very limited knowledge of synoptics but: it might be possible that the warming effect of that earlier band may just be enough to allow the main band to encroach further east - that is what seems to happen on the 00Z GFS. I might be completely wrong but hey!

Posted

Still snowing here too, this area doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Something must be feeding warmer air in to the cold air and preventing it from dissipating, though what that is I can only speculate on. Warm air drifting in from the gulf stream, heat rising from towns and cities, a feed from the approaching system or possibly a combination of all 3.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

MetO forecast for NW England kills any lingering hope of deep snow and to think only 24 hours ago we were being warned of severe disruption and accumulations of 10 to 15cm and up to 25cm locally.

Today:

A largely dry and fine start, but feeling cold with an icy wind. Patchy snow in the south will gradually spread northwards, givingsome accumulations even to low levels by evening, especially across parts of Cheshire. Maximum temperature 0 °C

Posted

Still snowing here too, this area doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Something must be feeding warmer air in to the cold air and preventing it from dissipating, though what that is I can only speculate on. Warm air drifting in from the gulf stream, heat rising from towns and cities, a feed from the approaching system or possibly a combination of all 3.

I'm fairly confident that it's warm air from the low pressure system being forced ahead of the main front by the rather stiff SEly breeze. I think the correct term is instability.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

Hmmm...slight thaw of the dusting we had yesterday evening...temp currently at 0.6. :(

Edited by loubie_4