Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

A few flakes here,but not worth mentioning here in rye,am I in line for more disappointment

Posted

Pretty impressive amounts of snow here at Gatwick, I am one of the lucky ones, at the moment we are still going to fly,getting back on Monday could be a challenge.

Posted

The reason the models are predicting continuing snowfall is due to the pivoting system, so the area roughly over Wales will pivot around to the SE over the next few hours. It is hard to see it having much left in it by then, but don't give up hope!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I think I worried too early, when you think that Winchester and such had the snow start in the early hours it's no wonder they got what they have now BUT us here will continue through this evening.

This is good for us, we get it the best once it gets dark, lower temps, nice lamp post viewing tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The band of snow has well and truly stalled now I think, hardly any moving at all in the last few radar returns!

Posted

Snowfall depth has more than trebled in ashingdon over last few hours, currently at an unbelievable 0mm........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

BBC London are predicting more "Heavy Snow" for my area around 3:00p.m. in the afternoon and 7:00p.m. in the eveing. All subject tyo change of course though, but still, awesome! smile.png

Posted

Without a doubt the front is weakening at a decent clip now, I suspect most places will be left with light snow by 3-4pm. Of course with sub zero temps, every little bit of snow that falls will settle and even at a light rate, we could still add a little bit to the accumulations.

Posted

What is interesting as well is to see what current temps are doing, widely around -2/3C at the moment, pretty uncommon to get temps going down under frontal snow, normally it'll hold steady.

Ah the joys of dragging in a SE airmass!

Noticed that too. Currently -1.7c after a maximum of 0.4c at 4AM. February 2009 it reached 1.0c during the snow January 2010 around 0.5c and December 2010 around 0.0c. A virtually perfect set-up for the combination aside from a very cold easterly. And to think under this band it would have been raining and around 9c out in the atlantic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

well been under pink for hours and nothing ,getting abit annoyed now x

Posted

Dont bet on the stuff on sunday yet people, how many times in the summer do we see the precip going through the gap between Dover and Calais and hitting Belgium.

And if the LP Does not behave correctly in the next day or so the streamer could easily be replaced with cold South Easterlies for a day.

Not counting any chickens yet as I have lost them in all this snow. Same as Ashingdon at 0.0mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Without a doubt the front is weakening at a decent clip now, I suspect most places will be left with light snow by 3-4pm. Of course with sub zero temps, every little bit of snow that falls will settle and even at a light rate, we could still add a little bit to the accumulations.

But encouraging its starting to snow heavy again in he West, Bristol for example. (The Reload)

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

At some stage the heavier snow further west should move eastwards - if there are reports from the other side of the county still of steady snow then the precipitation area can't be weakening that much (yet). Looking at the NAE, it actually takes till about 6pm till there is any indicated snow cover at all for these more eastern parts - so maybe we shouldn't be surprised. However the concern more and more it is that it will weaken quicker than the models suggest.

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

Stopped again

Posted

When do we get the convection opportunities here in London? Is there a set period when they look most likely over the weekend?

Posted

Snowfall depth has more than trebled in ashingdon over last few hours, currently at an unbelievable 0mm........

LOL, About sums it up for South Essex and East Kent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, storms in summer or any extreme!

Been sent home from college early an hour ago, funny thing was, we were the only school in surrey heath left open!blum.gif

Should the snow last until sunday?

Posted

Company has issued message to workers to leave immediately (Leatherhead & central London offices)

My uni in Uxbridge has just sent all staff and students home with immediate effect due to 'heavy and persistent snow' falling. I worry about the kids at my son's special needs school in Hillingdon; they come from schools all over greater London and the school did not shut today, so all the minibuses and taxis doing the homeward journey can take most of the evening to get them all home again.