Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Friday 18th >>

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Well, if this is all I get, I'm happy - it snowed properly for a good 15 minutes there, bracketed by that fine-swirling-dust for a while either side - and in that fifteen minutes I dashed out and sorted the birdbath at the back, and at the front sept and salted the path, so it gave me a lovely reminder of 2010-11, and faith that it can happen again - maybe this time, maybe next time, but I've had my Fifteen Minutes of Snaw and although I'm greedy for me, I'm very very happy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Wow, all day fir that snaw, I'd want my money back.

That's southern softies snaw, mind..

We get the real hard bustard type snaw. Stuff that can pan in windaes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

How long before the showers back more east LS?

All the time the wind is shifting slightly round, not really at due east until the morning I reckon but certainly should be much more favourable even by 9pm.

Posted

Latest shower is graupel...very gusty winds.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

ECM on the monday event aswell

ECM1-72.GIF?18-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Little miss Edo just confirmed its super deep snow which means there's a lot of flakes...again sure this is gonna go central when turns east and willing it for Graemeb can feel his pain and cheggers :) it only lasted 10 mins but can't emphasis enough how well it accumulates...will go measure when kids are in bed as I reckon we have 3 or 4 cm from probably around 50mins combined of snow....enough for kids sledging tomorrow already :)

post-15765-0-38927400-1358534231_thumb.j

Posted

The showers are doing a fantastic job of avoiding this part of the east coast this evening so far.

Indeed Doctor - if you were after snow, not been much here to date. One or two showers looked threatening but delivered either little or only very briefly.

Interesting the thundersnow reports from here today - I didn't see the lightning nor hear the thunder myself but am I right in thinking thunder in snow showers is often 'muffled'. It certainly appeared that was in the 2006 & 2010 events that I remember.

Also of interest (being an aviation enthusiast although not as much as I once was!) the Aberdeen Airport Terminal Area Forecast is still forecasting a 40% risk of heavy snow showers with thunder. On for the next few hours, until 0100hrs tomorrow - more snow showers thereafter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Ahh so frustrating! Showers seem to be stalling before they get here sad.png

Looking at NMM, we may get some coming in from the firth overnight. Good job re4lly as the stuff from Culloden way is negligible. Could be an all-nighter here I reckon tho, and touch & go if the dewpoint start to rise much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A very notable shift in the winds over the Borders up towards Dundee, things started to move much more east-west now, with that shower that I thought had past us looking very much like hitting now.

edit: snow back on!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder any extreme weather

Pleaseeeeeeeeee snow in glasgow!! Still clear and very cold no sign of anything yet, still keeping my fingers crossed though!

Posted

I'd say about 2-3 hours before any chance of showers getting through to the Glasgow area.

At this rate I'd say there's quite a good chance of showers making it through the central belt by 10pm. Very promising radar indeed.

Posted

At this rate I'd say there's quite a good chance of showers making it through the central belt by 10pm. Very promising radar indeed.

What are your thoughts on Mondays potential snow?

Posted

What are your thoughts on Mondays potential snow?

Huge risk for the east coast of things going a bit sleety but if it comes off it would be massive. Up to then looks very good too though, and after as well.

Posted

It really is an ideal set up for some in the east getting big totals tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Surface analysis here will update after 1900 and then hourly, you can see on this report solid dewpoints and tendency for pressure falling. Also dug out the Shipping forecast for Forth from earlier today confirms the change in wind direction for this evening. So, slightly less stable atmosphere and more easterly component = more fun !

To save you a headache deciphering the Meteocentre surface chart, the xcweather is always a favourite if you are tracking the wind direction.

Am off to nuke the Pentlands...ph34r.png

Posted

Snow quite heavy now, could be an epic night if this keeps up

I'm watching that heavy pulse racing away up past SS' house...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Just in from leuchars- whiteoot on the way through Kilmany on the A92, again in Leuchars, couple of flashes just past Dairsie then quite a bit of lying snow in Cupar. Not much in Muchty though, but the hound has just come in from the garden and he's white, so it's on again. good.gif Off to Kirkcaldy noo as my exhaust just fell off.