Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

as ive been saying all night the wind has now turned more easterly by midnight and now the showers will start smile.png

Not being funny but is this hope casting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Think my heaviest snow is about to push in from just north east of here, then I reckon that will be me lot.

Hope you have learnt a lesson from this and don't moan like hell next time ya think ya not gunna get any snow ; )

No your wrong, it's not a lesson etc its a wrong forecast. Well done John Mitchell. Paul Hudson shocking 'occasional light flurries'. It's a complete deep white out here.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Well the comment of the day was an easy one for me, the award goes to SWFC.

snapback.pngPolar Low, on 18 January 2013 - 18:00 , said:

I lay my point to rest. smile.png

I'm back off to the E Mids thread! acute.gif

bye ----

Posted

Not being funny but is this hope casting

not hope casting, just since the wind has switched more easterly the band in places is pepping up slightly with the moisture feed

from the north sea.

Im only talking light to moderate showers. big surprise if they end up being heavy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Well the comment of the day was an easy one for me, the award goes to SWFC.

snapback.pngPolar Low, on 18 January 2013 - 18:00 , said:

I lay my point to rest. smile.png

I'm back off to the E Mids thread! acute.gif

bye ----

Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

as ive been saying all night the wind has now turned more easterly by midnight and now the showers will start :)

Sigh!!!the wind is still south easterly hence the heavy snow in the area from say scarboro threw up into scotland.The wind will become a slack easterly tom with some very very light flurries towards the coast but very little getting in land im afraid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Sigh!!!the wind is still south easterly hence the heavy snow in the area from say scarboro threw up into scotland.The wind will become a slack easterly tom with some very very light flurries towards the coast but very little getting in land im afraid

wallbash.gifaggressive.gif

Baldrick, run into my fist.

Posted

www.xcweather.co.uk/ looking more easterly now though

Posted

Just to note,notice north of the wash and you will see the effect of this south east wind pulling in a line of more moderat snow.this may clip leeds but no further west or south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

So your saying the our SSW induced cold spell is ending ?

Only if the GFS is right- and it is rather out on its own against the other models, even a middle ground would be enough to keep generally snowy conditions going inland, though it would mean greater marginality near the coast than ECMWF/UKMO suggest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The Met show light snow for most of tomorrow, and have heavy snow around 0600 (not sure where this is going to come from), and then have heavy snow for Sunday.

Still snowing lightly here. Time for bed now!

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Yes it will pivot later on but the shower activity will become very light and mostly confined to the east coast.Very very light flurries tom tops

Posted

We need an easterly to hit S Yorks, those bands of ppn coming off the N Sea are starting almost level with us so the S/Easterly that we have will take them N/West past us.

A full easterly would give the potential to bring them straight across to us and the METO show the easterly direction from 6am so we'll see what the morning brings, although

i'm not expecting anything really, hope i'm surprised though.

Edited by Machu Picchu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looking at the model outputs I think there will be a fair number of showers firing in off the North Sea tomorrow but they may become relatively isolated on Sunday ahead of an advancing belt of snow from the south. The 850hPa temperatures of around -7C combined with a lengthening track over the North Sea will produce enough instability to give light to moderate snow showers at times to the north of Lincolnshire although heavy ones will probably be rare. I think that from Lincolnshire southwards generally dry cloudy weather is more likely due to milder uppers and a shorter sea track, but I'll be surprised if that ends up being true for our region too.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

looks like the snow moving in from the south east will become quite widespread sunday.Eastern,central and western areas all affected before it moves into scotland monday!This is via the latest beeb forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Well thats it for snow over Barnsley until Sunday perhaps (may be a little too far west). Been an interesting day, not as good as i wanted but hey, you cant have them all.

Posted

Still got that fine twinkle snow coming down so the snow hasn't stopped since it started this afternoon.

I'd say a good 5 inch on the wheelie bin and in the backyard out the way of the wind. -1.6C now so slightly

higher than tea times -2.5C.

As i say that the snow picks up again.

Posted

looks like the snow moving in from the south east will become quite widespread sunday.Eastern,central and western areas all affected before it moves into scotland monday!This is via the latest beeb forecast

Sounds good.

Whats the chances of Polar Low making a return to gloat about the easterly? i can imagine you're sick of explaining its no show now. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Snow has eased off for now and I've popped out and measured depth of 16cm (middle of the patio table which shouldn't be too sheltered). Higher drifts by the walls obviously. Already got a slight thaw on the house but hopefully just the right side of marginal to keep the snow for a few days and hopefully get a top up. I have a bit of height to my advantage and am 2 miles in land so that might help!

post-1731-0-91803600-1358557080_thumb.jp

(Ruler has a little over 1cm gap between the end and zero!)

Edited by Gorky

Posted

Well thats it for snow over Barnsley until Sunday perhaps (may be a little too far west). Been an interesting day, not as good as i wanted but hey, you cant have them all.

How much did you get in the end Mark in Tarn?

Posted

The wind is almost exactly easterly now and as a result of warming from the North Sea the temperature here has risen to 1.0C with a dewpoint of 0.1C. We've just had a shower but unlike the dry powdery snow of before its more in the way of graupel now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

How much did you get in the end Mark in Tarn?

Got around 4 inch I think. Not too shabby.

Posted

The wind is almost exactly easterly now and as a result of warming from the North Sea the temperature here has risen to 1.0C with a dewpoint of 0.1C. We've just had a shower but unlike the dry powdery snow of before its more in the way of graupel now.

That fronts falling apart, still looks like its heading N/W but pushing further inland, cant see anything bringing heavy snow for S Yorks at the min but the METO have it from 6am so see what develops.

Posted

Got around 4 inch I think. Not too shabby.

Thats only slighly less than here which is good for Barnsley as its usually worse up here. Fingers crossed for the rest of the weekend, things are sounding

promising for our neck of the woods, lets hope its special.