Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Snow has eased off for now and I've popped out and measured depth of 16cm (middle of the patio table which shouldn't be too sheltered). Higher drifts by the walls obviously. Already got a slight thaw on the house but hopefully just the right side of marginal to keep the snow for a few days and hopefully get a top up. I have a bit of height to my advantage and am 2 miles in land so that might help!

post-1731-0-91803600-1358557080_thumb.jp

(Ruler has a little over 1cm gap between the end and zero!)

The rulers in the hole in the middle of the table. lol, only joking Gorky, thats looking very nice, you guys were certainly todays winners.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Still snowing in Leeds over ten hours on and the increasing easterly element means that there's a lot of precipitation still to come albeit not amounting to much.

I suppose the one advantage to this is that if the winds turn sufficiently easterly it could drag in moister air and bigger flakes.

Posted

Just woken up and to my delight the light snow has got heavier through the night and I have a decent little covering now. Hope this stays! (the snow showers)

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

Just woken up and to my delight the light snow has got heavier through the night and I have a decent little covering now. Hope this stays! (the snow showers)

Aye, i think rather than a front i'm calling to call this a Wash Streamer now as that's effectively what it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Still snowing and has done through the night :)

METO got it continue for awhile longer. Anything is better than nothing.

Now off to work for a16hr double :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

just been out to clear and defrost the car ready for the OH to make her rounds smile.png

I measured 4 1/2 inches of snow on top of a wheelie bin on the back of the house.

we've got light graupel falling too atm and the orange lights of the factory across the back suggests the skies are still full!

Edited by Gumbo Briggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yeah, there's definitely more snow, the roofs are fully covered now, they struggled yesterday due to how windy it was. Good few cm on top of the old snow.

Still snowing as I speak.

Now we need a harsh frost, temperatures are too high for my liking.

I've noticed that a lot of the snow on my path has gone despite the temperature being below freezing.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

morning all, no further snow over night and the forecast is for a dry but chilly day, but you never know, the odd snow shower would be a nice surprise, looks like tomorrow night could be our next chance though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Steady light snow from a gentle easterly at moment.Prospects for Sunday look mouth watering really and for Tuesday as i have posted on model thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and deep cold

Morning

Tiny bit more overnight. It's just started snowing after a bit of a lull. Interesting radar for sheffield at present. Surrounded by an increasing patch of light snow but none over the city. Could this be due to the heat given off by the city?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and deep cold

Yeah, there's definitely more snow, the roofs are fully covered now, they struggled yesterday due to how windy it was. Good few cm on top of the old snow.

Still snowing as I speak.

Now we need a harsh frost, temperatures are too high for my liking.

I've noticed that a lot of the snow on my path has gone despite the temperature being below freezing.

Snow thief!!

You must report it. Seriously though I think the temp has gone up. The dogs footprints are slushy in the base this morning on our path😳

Posted

Monday was fantastic here. The front stalled over us and gave us continuous snow from 11am to 9pm. We got around 10cm's. Last couple of days we had a slight thaw in places exposed to sun and last night we had about 5-6cm's still on the ground. We've had a further 12cm's today and it's still coming down. We sat under that streamer for the majority of the afternoon.

I'm guilty of winging a bit in the past as coastal marginality has gone against us so this last week has been epic! We've done better for snowfall this week than 2010 when the majority was marginal here on the coast.

I'm just hoping we keep this snowcover tomorrow so i can go get some photos before a thaw kicks in!

How much have you got there?

Last monday there was around 3 inches here which was very good.A lot of the snow stuck around in the fields with the temp close to freezing and with very little in the way of sunshine.yesterday there was around an inch i'd guess and it really is an excellent wintry scene this morningclapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Cold here this morning, not a lot more snow over night, about -1 , but looks nice .

Edited by MAZ79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

just been out to clear and defrost the car ready for the OH to make her rounds smile.png

I measured 4 1/2 inches of snow on top of a wheelie bin on the back of the house.

we've got light graupel falling too atm and the orange lights of the factory across the back suggests the skies are still full!

Morning GG, same here, 4.5inches on the wheelie bin, just under 12cm, temps warmed up a little from last night at -1.1c, some mini icicles about.

Looks ace, a proper winter wonderland, going to have some brecko then have a walk down the river and take some pics.

I thought it had stopped snowing but you're right, under closer inspection it is still snizzling quite well. Every little helps.

Edited by Machu Picchu

Posted

Looks like we have about a week left of cold / very cold weather with good chance of more snow sunday into monday. Models look to be changing to less cold next weekend , but thats long way off in uk weather and all could change By then and more than likely will.

But before then more snow sunday/ monday yay lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Although just missing out on the heavier stuff to the east at times managed to accumulate 8cm of fresh snow. This on top of 6cm which was left from Monday so currently got 14cm. Still snowing lightly, hoping to see some North Sea convection this afternoon.

Posted

Typical, off the coast of Bridlington its churning out some nice ppn for the North East/North, then you come down between the Humber and the Wash

and its puny, looks like someone smoking a cigar. That aint delivering heavy snow METO, i want a refund.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Temp here 0.1°C at the mo with a DP of -1.2°C and it is still snizzling outside. Major snow stopped about 23:00 last night and we have had a couple of bits and pieces since. Not too much out East but the wind is not that strong. Snizzle seems to develop as the wind hits the coast.

Not sure what today will bring but I guess we had about 10cm last night and still had between 7 and 8cm from last Sunday night. Will check the depth when I walk the dog later.

Great thundersnow last night! Enjoy the sledging everyone!

Posted

Coming down better here now, getting more like fine snow.

Posted

Typical, off the coast of Bridlington its churning out some nice ppn for the North East/North, then you come down between the Humber and the Wash

and its puny, looks like someone smoking a cigar. That aint delivering heavy snow METO, i want a refund.

Well Lets Hope sunday/mondays snow dont downgrade and upgrade Its out turn for few inches .

Posted

Fine snow here in Tarn centre near college, had around 3inch up to now. Showers from North sea reaching us inland, fingers crossed they beef up a bit.

Posted

0.6 here this morning

very light snow in the air

Snow did come down a little heavier last night before it stopped but didn't add too what we had

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Morning all. Work this morning but heading over to hull later, I see humberside is reporting light rain atm. Hope it all stays frozen, I would like to build a snowman.