Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

It looks on rain today that they have grouped together and intensified a bit as there was barley nothing when they came off the sea.

Posted

You're right that the radar is showing a fair clump of showers heading towards the NW but the Pennines are eating them alive.

Some will make it through and we are having light snow here at the moment but to me the flow simply isn't strong enough to enable them to make inroads.

Possibly could be a day for us in the east of the region to play catch up.

Well you wont have far to catch up with this part of west of the region. 5mm and that's probably exaggerating

Edited by chris78

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

snow falling light here.

Posted

.....if anything gets into the region from the east it will be very very weak......Don't waste your day watching it.....go find some snow.

That's what I want to do, shame it's my Saturday in work booo :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

.....if anything gets into the region from the east it will be very very weak......Don't waste your day watching it.....go find some snow.

Yeah I mean further West from the Pennines you are the less likely to catch something. That said, in the past people like Backtrack caught the end of streamer heading over the area. Even they got an inch or two.

PS snowing here now too.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Thanks. Just arrived todmorden. Roads clear all the way. Have u had a thaw here? Was expecting loads more going off yesterday's radar. Meanwhile it's bleaching down back home. Typical.

Doubt we've had a thaw, it's just that we were right on the northern edge of the snow band and got bugger all from it..

That said though I'm higher ASL than Todmorden so actually have a fair covering now, if you can call a couple in inches a fair covering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Tomasz Schafernaker returned national weather forecast. hes back! smile.png

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
2nipffk.jpg

Posted

Doubt we've had a thaw, it's just that we were right on the northern edge of the snow band and got bugger all from it..

That said though I'm higher ASL than Todmorden so actually have a fair covering now, if you can call a couple in inches a fair covering.

I know you must be used to more.....but yes you can call a couple of inches a covering that would honestly be a once in twenty year event here...personally more

Posted

Wife's just rang from home to say it's really heavy and taxis have been taken off the roads. Gutted haha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

My five year old just screamed "it's snowing again"! He's right :-) very light but it is snowing :-) Temp has risen here to - 0.9

Pretty much stopped five minutes later but my weather app radar suggests some more this morning making its way over here from the east :-)

Edited by Chill Pill

Posted

I take it back looking at the last radar if I lived in Manchester I would be a bit interested

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Wife's just rang from home to say it's really heavy and taxis have been taken off the roads. Gutted haha.

Can't see that being a problem down here today but we are having light snow in Bacup so I imagine it is snowing in Todmorden.

Posted

i dont really give a damn.i had a boss night that turned from local into town,,,and plled a spanish chick.snow snow snow

*piled a spanish chick*? Is this the right site for that info.. blum.gif

Posted

*piled a spanish chick*? Is this the right site for that info.. blum.gif

Thought this site was for snow lovers -)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

light snow here now. better than the diamond dust of yesterday.

Posted

light snow here now. better than the diamond dust of yesterday.

Same here would love to see some of the heavy stuff make it across!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Same here would love to see some of the heavy stuff make it across!

time will tell. Quite possible mate

Posted

I know you must be used to more.....but yes you can call a couple of inches a covering that would honestly be a once in twenty year event here...personally more

Sorry Chris, wasn't trying to be (if this doesn't say cockroft when referring to a bbc forecaster, I have maturity issues) Cocky with my last reply but since Thursday tea time we have had we have had well over 24 hours of snow falling so it is a criticism of the intensity in somewhere which normally gets more than it's fair share of wet.

To put it into perspective, we had over 1900mm of rain in 2012.....the wettest year on record and on June 22nd alone 89mm fell.

So far this year we are at less than 20mm.

The Synoptics are perfect but as is often the case, it coincides with a dry period.

Posted

We were never going to. People were looking at the model ppn charts and seeing ppn over us. Which was really just very light. It's all going up the east coast so sadly we will miss out on the good stuff again. Those who stated the band would move SE to NW were largely mistaken

People were also looking at the BBC graphics yesterday and we know for those in the SW, how wrong were they in terms of timing etc.