Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

By the way how is Sunday looking through to Monday looking now?

gfs still has it over the north west but bbc had it going up the east of the country .nowcast it I think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The weather app says 1C here but I doubt it. It is felt like -3 here. bits of snow grains here coming from the east. There some dark clouds in Preston way.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

gfs still has it over the north west but bbc had it going up the east of the country .nowcast it I think

BBC forecasts really get on my nerves at times.

Not because they don't show what I want to see but the way that the time line always seems to skip the overnight period.

On the latest one for Sunday it shows a blow by blow account of the snows progress up from the SE towards the midlands during Sunday afternoon and evening but then jumps to Monday with the snow suddenly covering the NE.

I doubt it fines up after dark but where it goes seems a bit of a mystery although I suspect it stays to the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

raining here in haydock, turning to ice as it hits the floor but 100% rain

it looks like rain here in rainford but it is tiny little snow grians setting a bit on the car window i have scraped :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Look at the GFS, man if we had better orientation and track of the fronts, we would be looking at serious snow from Sunday night to Tuesday with only a tiny respite in between 2 bands of ppn. As it stands Monday Night Tuesday morning looks our best chance (for the whole of the NW)

gfs-2-72.png?0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

it looks like rain here in rainford but it is tiny little snow grians setting a bit on the car window i have scraped smile.png

in fact it picked up a bit now can see its snow :)

Posted

Still Some very light snow ere, adding a little extra dusting though. I think with regards to sunday/monday it nowcasting the best way, meto got the warnings right with regards to heaviest snow, however they and the bbc got the timings completely wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The dusting we had last night has partially thawed, but its snowing lightly again now.

Posted

raining here in haydock, turning to ice as it hits the floor but 100% rain

falling as snow here a couple of miles away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Is it just dark over Preston or is it pretty bad up there? I see some dark clouds towards Preston.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Wheres todays snow coming from

A band of showers coming in from the East and rather surprisingly getting over the Pennines.

It seems fairly organised to me and, although not heavy could last quite a while.

This was shown as a scenario a couple of days back and although then disregarded by the forecasts always looked a possibility for today.

Posted

Hill are shrouded in cloud and we have had virtually constant fine snow for hours, it is covering foot prints etc. It is very dry stuff so won't build up fast but is drifiting nicely!

Posted

Sure i saw a fax chart last night with an occluded front heading west during the afternoon.

For those in the East showers look like heading over if you haven't had any snow yet it looks to be looking pretty good for you. Showers look like they will make it across quite readily. Further West it looks like they are going to lose their oomph, no real change there.

Sundays snow i don't think will hit us -maybe light stuff further east but i think GFS is being a bit generous again with its predictions.

Further frustration for those in the W with no snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Definitely graupel here, falling moderatly and adding a dusting to the existing cover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

doesn't seem to be building from the back so much now looking at the radar loop. the stuff up Newcastle way however is a different story

Edited by swainclubber