Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London and South East Regional Discussion - Part 565

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Well i cant stand wine,im a stella and voddy drinker,so every time i go to my back door and check for snow i have a drinkdrinks.gif

Posted

Have a few thoughts myself and one for the ladies!

Snow is like a Mans Genitals

1. Its Measured in Inches

2. Its soft to the touch

3. It comes when you least expect it!

4. It never gets as deep as you would like it!

air_kiss.gifgood.gif

Thats my kind of mod!

I bet he wasnt the one that put in the (bit about maturity issues). That whole c0ckcr0ft thing was hilarious the other night!

In other news, another not so nice one, who shall remain nameless, is beating up our favourite Mr. Murr in the models thread.

That mod needs moderating. Have a word, would you?

Guest bjaykent

Got 12 hours to wait so we need a little light entertainment

12 hours of drinking and I wont care if it snows tomorrow, first glass of wine already empty!

Posted

Well i cant stand wine,im a stella and voddy drinker,so every time i go to my back door and check for snow i have a drinkdrinks.gif

There are some lovely wines and some bad wines..... Should try a new zealand sauv blanc or french pinot noir light and delicious.... Esp with cheese and crackers! Yum.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers and cold winters

temp 0.1c and dp -2.6. wine 175ml and disappearing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

If we are in confessional mode...

I was born and raised in the West Country, the land of rain and wind all year round.

One of my lodgers over the years while in the west country (god I had some right nutters) was a Scotsman and we would go for weekends Monro bagging, we then followed up with such silly ideas as going to Mont Blanc, climbing it and come back in 3 days. Numerous failures on all sorts of Alpine peaks (Matterhorn, Eiger) did not put us off (although I some successes too) - it was the snow and ice we loved.

Growing older and a bit less fit I got into snowboarding, because it was snowy and I loved the scenery.

This followed that and ended up meeting a girl from a snowy part of the world, and then marrying her. The mystery and excitement of all that snow and ice in the climate was part of the attraction......... a pretty good skier too. "Its Complicated" now, and I think its my fault - just because of my fixation with snow and ice fool.gif I must be nuts. She doesn't know about that. rofl.gifrofl.gif

Keep the snow coming, keep me sane . If we dont get much more I am going to have to drive to the Alps again for another fix drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

I'm going to watch more 4

Programme about the FEB 2009 snow event. That was the streamer event

Nice

it is on now and its brilliant so far

Posted

Oh my that more 4 docu is a bit dramatised and OTT...... I think it shows more about our country than how bad the snow actually was....

Ps it also seems an extremely British thing to cancel flights, close schools before a flake falls.....

Edited by willinkent44

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers and cold winters

175ml.......crazy.gif

I'm pacing myself lol. Don't want to miss the fun tomorrow.....rofl.gif

Posted

I've always known of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

I think i'm a sufferer of Snow Affective Disorder. Absolute jubilation when it falls, and abysmal depression when it melts/fails to materialise

As such, I will be going to the GP's on Monday and asking for a prescription snow machine

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

More like 18 to 20 hoursbiggrin.png

I'm planning on sleeping for 6-8 hours though ;)

Guest bjaykent

If we are in confessional mode...

I was born and raised in the West Country, the land of rain and wind all year round.

One of my lodgers over the years while in the west country (god I had some right nutters) was a Scotsman and we would go for weekends Monro bagging, we then followed up with such silly ideas as going to Mont Blanc, climbing it and come back in 3 days. Numerous failures on all sorts of Alpine peaks (Matterhorn, Eiger) did not put us off (although I some successes too) - it was the snow and ice we loved.

Growing older and a bit less fit I got into snowboarding, because it was snowy and I loved the scenery.

This followed that and ended up meeting a girl from a snowy part of the world, and then marrying her. The mystery and excitement of all that snow and ice in the climate was part of the attraction......... a pretty good skier too. "Its Complicated" now, and I think its my fault - just because of my fixation with snow and ice fool.gif I must be nuts. She doesn't know about that. rofl.gifrofl.gif

Keep the snow coming, keep me sane . If we dont get much more I am going to have to drive to the Alps again for another fix drinks.gif

Could this be the start of the 'my other half doesn't know I'm a weather geek' threadblum.gif

Posted

I've always known of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

I think i'm a sufferer of Snow Affective Disorder. Absolute jubilation when it falls, and abysmal depression when it melts/fails to materialise

As such, I will be going to the GP's on Monday and asking for a prescription snow machine

SK

Glacier Point has a prescription snow machine? Yes please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold with frost & snow in winter; hot and dry in summer

Can I "come out" in the London & South East thread?

I moved here specifically to increase my chances of snow in the winter. I was born and brought up near Portsmouth and rarely saw good snow events but was lucky to live near a lamppost, one of those garish Orange ones that councils loved in the 80s. They were hi-tech, they had a light sensor on top and switched on, initially red, when the light deteriorated.

I lived in central London for years but always got frustrated when cold spells rarely resulted in decent snow, and yet 20 miles to the South East were finding roads blocked and trains cancelled.

I remember an Ian Mcgaskill weather forecast in the early 80s referring to Kent. I was living near Portsmouth, where it was drizzling, and he referred to "snowing like billyho" down in Kent, off a strong easterly. Definition as below:

billyo - an unimaginably large amount; "British say `it rained like billyo' where Americans say `it rained like all get out'"

I need to live near London for my job, but I tried to select the optimum place to increase my snow chances. Persuading my wife to move here was a long-term project that involved descriptions of country walks, dog walking and fresh air. She doesn't know the real reason, and I hope she never will.

Can you snow lovers keep this secret?

Great post ! I lived just outside Folkestone from late 1975 - 1983 and enjoyed some truly memorable snow events. The new year event of 1978-79 will never be forgotten but there were several others and with a number of them we did very very well when many other parts of the country did not. I do miss living in that part of the world but at least being 600ft up in the eastern chilterns gives me half a chance of receiving significant snow events. Good luck for tomorrow to you and all others in the South East who have largely missed out so far . My son is at University in Canterbury and is struggling to understand the fuss about the snow so I fully appreciate how dissapointing its been so far for some of you.