Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Gawd, hubby is doing my head in! He keeps hovering over my shoulder asking what's happening now, what's happening now? He is not a snow-lover I'm afraid. He regards snow as work and stress! Can't blame hime really, as he still hasn't recovered from the damage (financial!)laugh.png that 2010 caused. House is 112 years old and, although solidly built, as I said to him you can't expect a roof to last forever! However, we now have a full new roof (which the Insurers managed to wriggle out of replacing, surprise surprise!) and all the iron guttering has been renewed - so, if anything bad hits, we should be fine!wacko.png . Anyway, THAT MACHINE which was purchased two years ago, is ready and waiting to make his job a lot easier! He should be back from sulking any minute!laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Ochils this morning. Excuse the panoramic one, still learning.

That's the same view I've got - have you been into my hoose?acute.gif

Posted

what are chances of flights arriving at edinbur

gh airport tomirow on time?

Just wondering about flights myself funnily enough. Brother dew to fly out of Heathrow today to the Maldives no less. Think he was wondering if that would happen because of the weather. BFT?

Posted

Thanks for that edodfc. It may well be marginal up and down the coastline ... even with all the things you highlighted looking just the right side of good, sea temps are always the one thing we can't do anything about ... its what... 7c water temp out in the North Sea more or less? Anyway I wouldn't care to say where the final snow/rain boundary might be on the coastal fringe, only nowcasting will tell us that.

Joe... from an Embra perpective I think there will be the usual dividing line within the city . Was up at the in-laws at Liberton yesterday and then up at The Braids (sledging with Mrs By-Tor and By-Tor junior). I left a thawing Leith but another two or three hundred feet away from immediate estuary warming/urban heat island, the snow was just great.

Finger in the air for Embra - assuming the basic forecast for snow moving northwards is correct - and that DPs/uppers are as you indicate ... would be for a wet snow event city wide. On the Embra coastal fringe, definitely sleetier. But rapidly as you move southwards back into the less coastal and higher parts of town then lying wet snow. If theres enough intensity for evaporative coooling and coastal DP's dont bleed into the city, then it will accumulate in most parts. And any wet snow accumulation is fine by me !

And Joe is right, if the flow is a bit south of east then that helps slightly in Embra kidding itself on that its a bit inland-ish !

I think slightly better than 60/40 chances in favour of Edinburger Kilters being happy this time tomorrow...

Brilliant analysis BT, here's hoping

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Minimum overnight +0.1C at 07.05. Currently +0.8C/-1.7C (+0.3C/hour).

BBC Weather currently calling it all snow for us tomorrow - well we've had it then! cray.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Dry and cold here in Glasnosnowgow

I will be happy if we get 1cm here tomorrow but even that probably wont happen rolleyes.gif

Posted

Hum... You're right HS... BBC 5 dayer has us on heavy snow pretty much most of today and tomorrow... I'll believe that when I see it :)

Did manage to get a walk up the hill last night, and the snow cover up there isn't too bad... about 3-4 inches or so... still rubbish in the town, but let's see what today and tomorrow bring!

Tim

Posted

BBC Guesscast has Stirling under snow from 6pm today, and heavy snow from 0200.

Kiss of Death IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

He is not a snow-lover I'm afraid. He regards snow as work and stress!

*puzzled* You didn't check this before doing anything so rash as to marry him? Foolish, foolish wummun...

Mine these days may be based in the very far south-east of Englandshire, but I have thoroughly checked for Snow Opinion Compatbility and it's all fine. These things are important, y'know... :)

Posted

Dry & Cold here too, that yr.no satellite was bang on and snow/gaupel showers died out at about 6pm, with just enough to lleave a fresh covering on cleared driveway

currently: 1*C/-3.9*C DP

can't quite decide if that band will even reach us, in NE, tomorrow am - looks like it could be a borderline situation again like Friday/Sat, but here's hoping eh :)

found this on a mosey through the S.English threads (was trying to gauge how far north the front had got)

the "Murrometer" Snow Scale

0- Nothing / Nada / just curtain dust + flies around the outside light

1- Odd pellet here & there- however we can mentally confirm there are 'flakes'

2- visible light snow falling- not visible to the lampost yet ( unless you stand underneath & obscure the light)

3- flurry level- makes light blue on the radar & a few flakes seen across the lampost

4- we can confirm snow falling without staring at the light- Can confirm to friends & loved ones its snowing via text etc

5- Status 2- moderate flurry, its fine snow at the moment still- it looks quite hard in terms of snow falling however its not amounting to anything

6- proper flakes falling- you will see them now- the odd flake mixed in with the moderate fine snow

7- transition to normal flakes all complete- moderate snow outside

8- 20p flakes going at a steady pace now- accumulating around 0.5cm - 1cm per hour

9- heavy 20p Snow - visibly accumulating + 1cm per hour

10- entry level heavy snow arriving- 50p flakes fluttering in the 20p flakes.. awaiting the beast...

11- 50p flakes nearly transitioned over- we can call it heavy settling snow 2cm ++ per hour

12- Very heavy snow inch per hour all 50p flakes

13- Blizzard- combined with +40 MPH wind-

What we had Friday/Saturday was alternating between 5 and 6, with one 7 shower yesterday lunchtime

perhaps we could modify this, Kilty fashion, Cheggars, SS? ;)

Posted

Interesting that MetO now do video forecasts on their website. Not a short skirt in sight, with all focus on the weather. Better that than the TV forecasters... substance over form an' aw that.

Posted

Edo already Scotched it.

0- Nothing / Nada / just curtain dust + flies around the outside light (hee haw here)

1- Odd pellet here & there- however we can mentally confirm there are 'flakes' (pishy snizzle)

2- visible light snow falling- not visible to the lampost yet unless you stand underneath & obscure the light (need yer hand over yer napper tae see it snaw)

3- flurry level- makes light blue on the radar & a few flakes seen across the lampost (fannybaws snaw)

4- we can confirm snow falling without staring at the light- Can confirm to friends & loved ones its snowing via text etc (ehm sure its snaw)

5- Status 2- moderate flurry, its fine snow at the moment still- it looks quite hard in terms of snow falling however its not amounting to anything (englandshire snaw)

6- proper flakes falling- you will see them now- the odd flake mixed in with the moderate fine snow (proper snaw snaw noo)

7- transition to normal flakes all complete- moderate snow outside (Independent snaw)

8- 20p flakes going at a steady pace now- accumulating around 0.5cm - 1cm per hour (4 bob snaw)

9- heavy 20p Snow - visibly accumulating + 1cm per hour (4 bob and a highland toffee snaw)

10- entry level heavy snow arriving- 50p flakes fluttering in the 20p flakes.. awaiting the beast...(mental snaw)

11- 50p flakes nearly transitioned over- we can call it heavy settling snow 2cm ++ per hour (pure mental snaw)

12- Very heavy snow inch per hour all 50p flakes (nae skale or work the morn ya dancer snaw)

13- Blizzard- combined with +40 MPH wind- (The dugs bollix snaw)

Posted

*puzzled* You didn't check this before doing anything so rash as to marry him? Foolish, foolish wummun...

I didn't think to ask! I thought everyone was like me!laugh.png The realization just crept up on me very slowly shall we saylaugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

well according to BBC, we should be under heavy snow at about 8-9pm this evening and then all through tomorrow. Eastern gales forecast with possible flooding on the coast from heavy seas.

Posted

Interesting looking at the current radar

http://www.netweathe...ion=radar;sess=

and then looking at 06z precipitation prediction.post-1989-0-36174900-1358681780_thumb.pn Quite a good match?

Was just thinking that it remained on course.........

post-1989-0-30386000-1358682163_thumb.pn

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Minimum overnight +0.1C at 07.05. Currently +0.8C/-1.7C (+0.3C/hour).

BBC Weather currently calling it all snow for us tomorrow - well we've had it then! cray.gifrofl.gif

Temp currently 0.8/-4.0 was -0.2/-4.2 at 9am why my DP higher?

Posted

I didn't think to ask! I thought everyone was like me!laugh.png The realization just crept up on me very slowly shall we saylaugh.png

My wife looks at me like I've got horns when I'm sat pouring through the 850's and ppn charts...when I warn her of incoming snow the look turns to one of mirth, then, when the snow arrives, she claims shock that "she never saw that coming".

air_kiss.gif I love my wife really....

Edited by GraemeB

Posted

Where are the favoured locations for tomorrow? The rainfall and snow risk charts suggest most places are looking good but I refuse to accept there will ever be decent snow in the west of scotland ever again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

My wife looks at me like I've got horns when I'm sat pouring through the 850's and ppn charts...when I warn her of incoming snow the look turns to one of mirth, then, when the snow arrives, she claims shock that "she never saw that coming".

air_kiss.gif I love my wife really....

Mrs SS relies on me for choosing the day's attire.

Can be a dangerous business weather forecasting.nonono.gif

Posted

Mrs SS relies on me for choosing the day's attire.

Can be a dangerous business weather forecasting.nonono.gif

That's a line I just wouldn't want to cross.

The fallout due to failure, would be catastrophic.

Posted

Where are the favoured locations for tomorrow? The rainfall and snow risk charts suggest most places are looking good but I refuse to accept there will ever be decent snow in the west of scotland ever again!

Favoured locations probably inland areas of the east where there could be quite substantial falls. It does seem that parts of the west such as along the M 8 corridor and indeed parts of Ayrshire could to quite well due to largely favourable upper air temperature, dewpoints, temperature, current track of the precipitation and what will definately benefit these areas is the wind direction and wind speed as this will drive more precipitation inland from east to west. As always things can change but I really hope that some of the areas that have not seen much in the way of snow over the last few days join the party from tonight onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

That nice Helen Willetts has just said eastern Scotland is getting significant snaw and lasting into Tuesday. Could be nae skale or work the morn ya dancer snaw tomorrow or even The dugs bollix snaw?