Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 20/01/13 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Have we not ran out of straws by now!???? Lol

I think the straws are still there, it's just that nobody can be bothered clutching anymore...apathy has taken over(quite rightly, we live in the worst place possible for snow)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Oldham Priorities routes are:

1. A62/Huddersfield Road (trans-Pennine route) - keep open
  2. A672/Ripponden Road - treated and kept open (unless use of resources on this road prevents keeping the A62 open)
  3. A635/Holmfirth Road and the A640/Huddersfield Road - closed to trans-Pennine traffic during adverse conditions

Interesting that Oldham Council only have 3 priority roads to grit and that Hudderfield is the main road... Strange considering A672 Ripponden Road directly feeds onto the motorway. So when it snows badly, they basically give up on Ripponden Rd to concentrate on Hudderfield Rd. No wonder we always get cut off up here smile.png

PPN starting to build West/ Northwestward, South of Sheffield now. That's where I need to be watching drinks.gif

Expecting the PPN to the South of Manchester to move north is wrong imo.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Oh do cruel!! Just look at that met office forecast maps, misses us on everyone grrrrrrr and to top it all off i have a woman on my forum saying shes snowed in in Cambridge a d its weird as she never normally gets weather like that down there.

Have we not ran out of straws by now!???? Lol

Well I wouldnt rule out an odd heavier burst of snow from the pennines. But the straws are still there for me. Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

got to take what we can get

The two controlling factors to me for the next 24-36 hours are the low currently centred over the coast of Belgium and the inevitable cold block that we've had for some time now. The low is making very slow progress N and is progged to be over E Anglia (ish) by 12Z tomorrow. This means that we'll be predominantly in an E to ENEly surface flow as the milder air circulates around the low and brushes against the colder air. A similar set up to Friday shifted E. Still a chance for snow anywhere in the NW overnight but small and patchy amounts with very little significant region wide coverage. 2-5cm in favoured E spots and 0-dust in less favoured areas. No chance of that stuff from SW Ireland reaching us in the next 24 hours IMO.

Posted

We had very little lying snow here at all despite best part of 20 hours worth of falling snow over the last week.

There is no cover whatsoever left after today's thaw.

Aye,much the same here.There is cover away from town but pretty disappointing elsewhere and temperature the wrong side of freezing at 2.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

It over it starting to fizzle out

Posted

keep your eyes on southern ireland. It's slow moving, but it's been slowly building from the sw..lets see whether we end up under it, its moving ne..time will tell.

for an easterly, its been extremely poor in temperatures. Every night before the snow came, it was cloudy, temperature would barely get to freezing. In the grand scheme of things the snow fall we had was extremely poor. This winter promised to deliver much, and it did deliver, it delivered a very poor winter even with all the best scenarios, it still really failed.

We have a good 2/3 weeks after this if it breaks down, meto uncertain but think mid feb for cold again. Overall a really poor winter that delivered not much of anything to the vast majority of the NW...even the easterly was poor..

Absolutely spot on my fellow Evertonian. I don't know what happened on Friday, with that amount of snow that fell, the covering was very very sad.

I dunno if, because we watch the models, we go into over expectation mode I'm not sure. I never expect anything from an easterly where I am anyway, but the temperatures have been underwhelming to say the least.

I'm not expecting anything from this front moving from the SE, and I also have noticed the system off SW Ireland. However I reckon if it does make it over the Irish Sea, that will hit the block and stop moving as well.

Posted

PPN starting to build West/ Northwestward, South of Sheffield now. That's where I need to be watching drinks.gif

I think you'll do okay out of this overnight and in to tomorrow.

Yes we certainly need to be looking S and E. The hope for those in the West of our region is that the ppn from N Wales to B'ham gets dragged N/NE and at least gives some patchy snowfall as the main band to the East is unlikely to get much further than the Pennines, maybe just to the East of Manchester.

Posted

Looks to me that the heavier stuff is gonna hug the east as it moves north (as forecast). I'm not expecting much, if anything.

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The weather front over the irish Republic is predicted to shift south-eastwards towards south west of england and far south of england. According to BBC weather. It doesnt showed it to shift north-eastwards unfortunely.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oldham Priorities routes are:

1. A62/Huddersfield Road (trans-Pennine route) - keep open
  2. A672/Ripponden Road - treated and kept open (unless use of resources on this road prevents keeping the A62 open)
  3. A635/Holmfirth Road and the A640/Huddersfield Road - closed to trans-Pennine traffic during adverse conditions

Interesting that Oldham Council only have 3 priority roads to grit and that Hudderfield is the main road... Strange considering A672 Ripponden Road directly feeds onto the motorway. So when it snows badly, they basically give up on Ripponden Rd to concentrate on Hudderfield Rd. No wonder we always get cut off up here smile.png

To be fair these aren't the easiest roads to keep open if the weather is bad and blowing a gale.

Posted

Very light pellet like snow has been falling here for a while now causing a new dusting over cleared surfaces, though I don't expect it to amount to much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looking at the radar, the main system seems to have decided it's time to move on and is now approaching Sheffield.

At the moment at least, the direction seems to favour our region although whether it maintains that when it hits the Southern end of the Pennines remains to be seen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Despite cloud cover and a breeze the temp continues to fall slowly, sitting at 0.5c now DP -1.0c

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Not the most favourable track so not expecting much

Bit disappointing this spell, we need a Greenland High for certain snow, too variable these fronts and troughs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Band is fragmenting around Mansfied area.

Only light ppn fragmenting - heavier rate following behind although whether this has the legs on it I don't know.....

Ian

Posted

Trying to snow in Hyde, East Manchester looks like just a light shower at this rate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

the ppn on the west side is starting to move north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Some in the Yorkshire thread are worried that the snow won't be far enough west.

Good job they aren't on our side of the Pennines.