Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 21st January 2103, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

A new thread for your regional weather discussion!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

After snowing all day it's finally starting to lie! Yay! good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

yup its startling to lie here too!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yeh I've noticed that line from around Carnoustie to Forfar has held all morning. It appears the main frontal band creeps north inch by inch yet never gets past this Angus brick wall, very odd. Maybe LS could through some light on it for us (the weather science behind the "Angus Brick wall yee shall not pass") will it break through this evening? If not Amber warning zone will look a tad silly?

Seems to be just a slackening of the flow up there:

13012115_2112.gif

Heavy stuff will start to move north soon anyway though so you should get your fill.

Anyway, proper big baws snaw here still after a brief lull, cover filling in quite nicely.

I must admit though the NAE hasn't had its finest hour, giving an all snow event for all and showing almost no precipitation getting into Edinburgh! NMM was a bit better, though the sleet area is basically a 'we don't know' since many saw snow in that while equally some saw rain.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

LS, how much longer do you think this band will be with the central area? and what are tomorrows prospects like? feel like such a lot of snowfall has been wasted up till now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Some heavier stuff on again and it's lying more readily now, too. Could yet be memorable. 'Mon the snaw!

Posted

13012115_2112.gif

Heavy stuff will start to move north soon anyway though so you should get your fill.

Anyway, proper big baws snaw here still after a brief lull, cover filling in quite nicely.

I must admit though the NAE hasn't had its finest hour, giving an all snow event for all and showing almost no precipitation getting into Edinburgh!

I assume that heavier band is heading for me, not very good at reading radar.

Can anyone prepare a case for me to be sent home early due to risk of not making it later? Not due to finish till 6.30.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

By midnight NAE mirrors the Amber areas predicted by the Meto

post-7292-0-70884600-1358779630_thumb.gi post-7292-0-46672000-1358779534_thumb.gipost-7292-0-42674800-1358779738_thumb.gi

Loop through the build up here.

More to come folks !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

13012115_2112.gif

I must admit though the NAE hasn't had its finest hour, giving an all snow event for all and showing almost no precipitation getting into Edinburgh!

Thanks LS for response, here's hoping as you say heavier stuff creeps a bit further North as Darkness falls. Glad to hear its sticking down your way now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

We bring you some brand new research on the interaction of snow and the place we shall call "the south":

post-736-0-08657900-1358779842_thumb.jpg

Edited by Polar Gael 2

Posted

Repeating my post from the earlier thread as it really highlights the differences across very short distances in Edinburgh.

Browsing the bypass cameras says it all really. Look at the difference within a couple of miles - hee haw at Hermiston Gait but watch it change as you go East (and higher in places) - Dreghorn and Lothianburn especially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

By midnight NAE mirrors the Amber areas predicted by the Meto

post-7292-0-70884600-1358779630_thumb.gi post-7292-0-46672000-1358779534_thumb.gipost-7292-0-42674800-1358779738_thumb.gi

Loop through the build up here.

More to come folks !

Lorenzo, after LS and your responded to the my query re Forfar to Carnoustie north edge blocking pattern all day, I now have a picture in my head of it bursting through around tea time and having a snow fest in the Angus glens all evening :-) can but hope. Cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Blizzard continues. Should have a wee vid of car shenanigans soon if I can work out how to put it on youtube.

In the meantime, this is how the gairden has looked all morning.

EDIT. Worryingly, lights have been flickering on and off here....

post-9421-0-01458200-1358780445_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I think we *may* be approaching a lighter spell of precipitation in Edinburgh, looks like this current intense band is going to head up into Fife and Dundee soon, but there's another heavy pulse just heading up from around Berwick which (I think) is the one that has the potential to hit the central belt around rush hour.

Posted

We bring you some brand new research on the interaction of snow and the place we shall call "the south":

post-736-0-08657900-1358779842_thumb.jpg

Ha Ha Love itlaugh.png ...cam i copy it into our threadsmile.png

Posted

Drove home from Glasgow through a blizzard. Weirdest thing I ever saw - a complete white out, yet nothing sticking.

Fingers, toes and nostrils all crossed for tonight though - surely surely it has to....

Posted

I think we *may* be approaching a lighter spell of precipitation in Edinburgh, looks like this current intense band is going to head up into Fife and Dundee soon, but there's another heavy pulse just heading up from around Berwick which (I think) is the one that has the potential to hit the central belt around rush hour.

Sad thing is though i think it has little chance of lying in most areas of the City

Posted

Sad thing is though i think it has little chance of lying in most areas of the City

Temperatures have dropped a bit though - the airport is now reporting snow for the first time today and it's about 1C across the city, 0C in Dalkeith and Gorebridge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Lucky kilter SS! acute.gifblum.gif

You best get dusting down that bench because we will all be sitting round it tomorrow, after we all move in. Hope you're doing us all Haggis for Burn's Night - we all like that. tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Lorenzo it can't snow here for another nine hours? Surely not? Can't see radar properly.

I recall SS noting that yr.no had you pair down for snow until 1800hrs Tuesday ..

There will be an angry mob of Regional Snawshield sufferers wielding Snow shovels on there way to you if that verifies!