Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Further snowfall will spread from the west, as another weather front moves eastwards across the UK. Snow will reach parts of Scotland during Friday morning, and eastern parts of England during the late evening, likely to clear these eastern areas by the early hours of Saturday. 4 to 8 cm is likely quite widely within the amber warning area, with a low risk of more than 10 cm locally even on lower ground. Further north, accumulations of 10 to 20 cm may occur in some upland areas. Strong winds will also lead to drifting and blizzard-like conditions, particularly over higher level roads in the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber warning issued for inland areas for tomorrow night and into Saturday those close to or right on the coast remain in the lower yellow warning

The amber warning

Issued at: 1233 on Thu 24 Jan 2013

Valid from: 1100 on Fri 25 Jan 2013

Valid to: 0200 on Sat 26 Jan 2013

Further snowfall will spread from the west, as another weather front moves eastwards across the UK. Snow will reach parts of Scotland during Friday morning, and eastern parts of England during the late evening, likely to clear these eastern areas by the early hours of Saturday. 4 to 8 cm is likely quite widely within the amber warning area, with a low risk of more than 10 cm locally even on lower ground. Further north, accumulations of 10 to 20 cm may occur in some upland areas. Strong winds will also lead to drifting and blizzard-like conditions, particularly over higher level roads in the north. The public should be prepared for likely disruption, particularly to travel.

The yellow warning

Issued at: 1156 on Thu 24 Jan 2013

Valid from: 0900 on Fri 25 Jan 2013

Valid to: 0300 on Sat 26 Jan 2013

Further snowfall is likely to spread from the west, as another weather front moves across the UK from the Atlantic. Snow will reach parts of Scotland during Friday morning, and eastern parts of England during the late evening, likely to clear these eastern areas by the early hours of Saturday. 2-5 cm is likely in the south of the yellow warning area, with 5 cm or more further north. Strong winds will also lead to drifting, particularly over higher level roads in the north. The public should be aware of possible disruption, particularly to travel.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=ne&tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1358942460&zoom=7&lon=-1.44&lat=54.63

Posted

I personally am expecting a repeat of earlier in the week those west of Darlo will see the highest falls say 30+ miles in land those east of Darlo will see the lower falls

frisnow.png?t=1359032647

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I don't think being close to the North Sea will be as much of a problem on Friday as the winds will no longer be blowing onshore.

Posted

Yeah winds will be offshore indeed, our problem will be how much PPN will cross the Pennines and is the air even cold enough for snow?

Yes thats going to be the main question how much intensity will be left once it gets over the Pennines

This is how the NAE see's things at midnight tomorrow

13012600_2406.gif

GFS at the same time

13012521_2406.gif

The beeb were also taking about possible power disruption as well so that suggests the snow could be wet in places though it must be stressed they we not taking about anyone region in particular

During Saturday the upper temperatures will slowly begin to rise (if you look to the west over Ireland and the far south west you can see what it heading our way for Sunday)

13012612_2406.gif

During early Sunday that milder air in the west moves east

13012700_2406.gif

Once the rain clears through early on Sunday morning the bulk of Sunday should be a sunny one with highs of around 4c to 6c

Into Monday the mild air starts to take over as some strong gusts of around 40mph hit the region during the afternoon and evening Monday is likely to start dry but some rain is likely for a time during the afternoon and evening

13012818_2406.gif

13012818_2406.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

So, it's going to snow late at night for a few hours, and be washed away by heavy rain on the morning.

What a complete non event. Can't even watch it fall during the day

Posted

So, it's going to snow late at night for a few hours, and be washed away by heavy rain on the morning.

No. It is going to snow probably in the evening up until about midnight, and it's going to be washed away on Saturday night, not on Saturday morning.

I'm not sure why you thought it was a late night event washed away in the morning.

Posted

It will get washed away during the early hours of Sunday so it should hang around for all of Saturday but come Sunday morning when we all get up most if not all the snow will be gone

The current estimations for the snow to arrive are between 17:00 and 19:00 for most of the region and it should clear during the early hours

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Haven't you just confirmed it to be a late night event? Or do you see it starting at tea time?

So after the snow stops are there clear skies or does the rain follow straight away?

Edited by smogonthetyne

Posted

Haven't you just confirmed it to be a late night event? Or do you see it starting at tea time?

So after the snow stops are there clear skies or does the rain follow straight away?

No the rain comes on Sunday Saturday will the be final cool day the rain will arrive during the early hours of Sunday not Saturday

Posted

Lovely jubly, cheers Gavin

Posted

GFS brings the snow in quicker than the beeb were showing before

prectypeuktopo.png

This could be a marginal event for many on lower ground if we believe GFS

prectypeuktopo.png

Now unlike the beeb GFS is showing this to turn to Rain as it leaves

prectypeuktopo.png

Now to show you the difference both of the below charts are for 00:00 on Saturday morning, the first is the NAE model and the second is GFS

13012600_2412.gif

prectypeuktopo.png

Now interestingly NAE shows this event turning back to rain as it clears through again this is something that wasn't showing before on the beebs forecast

13012606_2412.gif

Posted

That last NAE image doesn't mean much. Those light blues are basically mizzle or patchy drizzle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting!

Think I should have looked at the weather forecast before booking train tickets to Edinburgh on Saturday :-/ knowing my luck this will be the one time we get pasted and all travel is cancelled lol - don't know which I'd prefer!

Posted

One thing I know for certain (not that I do haha) is that this will probably be a rain/none event for Thornaby. I also can never get excited about a snow event that will turn to rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

i hope it does turn to rain after a good snow event got the boro match on sat

Posted

This has been a strange cold spell here. Yes we have had a bit of snow but it has all been marginal. In fact I don't quite know how we still have 3-4 inches on undisturdeb ground here, as in the last 8 or 9 days the temperature has barely fallen below freezing, despite repeated daily forecasts predicting otherwise!!! This is not good from our national forecaster. I don't mean it has been "just" out, I mean statiscally importantly erroneous, with forecasts recently showing regular night-time minima of -3 to -9, and actually not getting below freezing!!As I type, the Meto on-line forecast for Ryton (and presumably representative of other relatively low-lying parts of the North East) is for -5 tonight by midnight and then not getting above freezing until midnight tomorrow night ! If that happens I will run round Ryton with my pants on my head, cos it aint happenned so far this cold spell.

Hha, got to laugh, just watched the 6.30 weather beeb 1, I know the graphics are only representative, but it quite clearly showed the snow actuall missing Newcastle altogether tomorrow, slipping slightly South instead. Well, we will see, but I can't get greatly excited,

Karl

Posted

Pretty quiet in this regional thread, any updates on tomorrow's snow event?

4 or 5 hours of snow then a quiet Saturday before a thaw during early Sunday as rain moves through drier during the day wet (in the evening) and windy weather on Monday

Posted

Latest satellite pic shows tomorrow's front approaching from the west,also the cloud is a lot

thinner tonight so more of a frost than previous nights.

Hopefully most of us can get some falling and lying snow tomorrow before the inevitable

thaw which will turn the place into a swamp.