Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 22nd January 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters

Earlier mentions of Dieppe to Eastbourne BLOB......... Has it happened yet!

Yes ! ive had a blob of gas & a blob of snow blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

wouldnt mind one those too mate

Addington gets immense amounts from a Thames streamer

Hello mate,

all those areas down thro Gravesend, Dartford, B/Heath, Sidcup,Orpington, Bromley, Biggin Hill and finally Addington.

All change, all change!

No anybody thats drawn an opponent from those areas, pray you don't get a T/S, unless you're in that area yourself of course!

Cheers,

Tom

Posted

I think those further west and south west of the region has been pulling our legs regarding tonights snow.

I had a breif period of snowfall this evening although it was wet snow and did not last to long.

I then took a drive to a friends in reading around 8pm and although the precip seemed heavier its was wet snow & after i left around 10pm there was very little wet snow falling from the sky.

I would be happy to be proved wrong but that's what i seen earlier.

Posted

I've had a Blizzard, a blob and a bomb!!!!!!

lol love that BUT ive now got a gas blob ,snow blob & blizzard & a southern gas network engineer woop woop .I didnt know a tuesday night could be so exciting clapping.gif

Posted

Yes ! ive had a blob of gas & a blob of snow blum.gif

Arriving from France i suspect...blob of gas and snow mixed

green-blob_1995078i.jpg

Northern France boosted by 'The Blob'

Posted

wheres my snow

ALL the blobs are over my house lol help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!!

lol love that BUT ive now got a gas blob ,snow blob & blizzard & a southern gas network engineer woop woop .I didnt know a tuesday night could be so exciting clapping.gif

Ok you win! guess you're day is gonna end better than mine! LOL. But, hey it was fun while it lasted! Looking forward to hopefully 'fingers crossed' another event this weekend!

Posted

no fax update tonight as it is very messy

possibility of some snow flurries tomorrow for the south east

clearing by early afternoon

friday may see a snow to rain event but will do that tomorrow

here sundays chart

PPVO89.gif?31415

yuk

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

I think those further west and south west of the region has been pulling our legs regarding tonights snow.

I had a breif period of snowfall this evening although it was wet snow and did not last to long.

I then took a drive to a friends in reading around 8pm and although the precip seemed heavier its was wet snow & after i left around 10pm there was very little wet snow falling from the sky.

I would be happy to be proved wrong but that's what i seen earlier.

Pretty much spot on - had about 1-2cm which gave a covering minor roads and melted about an hour later.

Posted

Noaa cpc 500 height anomaly charts dont look great in the extended range to be honest....dont like that height anomaly in the azores

814day.03.gif

Posted

Noaa cpc 500 height anomaly charts dont look great in the extended range to be honest....dont like that height anomaly in the azores

814day.03.gif

ignore anything until after the weekend

the models are all over the shop at 144

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Quick question to the more experienced poster, what needs to happen for a Thames streamer to happen. I'm here in Gravesend praying for that the happen. :0)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

814day.03.gif

Pretty poor. The jet is still to the south, just not south enough, going by that...the azores high is stopping the jet from sinking?

Posted

Yeah I thought that band from Eastbourne to Dieppe would intensify and move up into west Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire, Banstead area giving 9 hrs of heavy snow whereas infact it has barely moved

Maybe if you had based your last few predictions on what the models where showing instead of hopecasting you might have been closer to the mark on this event and the last event, I feel sorry for any newbies who are waiting for there 1ft of snow. No doubt you will be back with another outrageous forecast at the next possibility of snow.

Posted

Pretty poor. The jet is still to the south, just not south enough, going by that...the azores high is stopping the jet from sinking?

Agree though as JP said T144 hopefully fi at moment...agree dont like that height anomaly to south...stops jet going south east...we want troughing over Europe.....which we need to feed height rises up North and north west.

Edited by ChartViewer

Posted

still snowing heavily here .roads where all clear by late afternoon ,they are now white once again ! good.gif

Posted

still snowing heavily here .roads where all clear by late afternoon ,they are now white once again ! good.gif

wheres the blob?

The_Blob_poster.jpg

Edited by ChartViewer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Quick question to the more experienced poster, what needs to happen for a Thames streamer to happen. I'm here in Gravesend praying for that the happen. :0)

Paul (Polystyrene Ball) Sherman,

Is yer man (dont ask) but this might help.

For lake-effect rain or snow to form, the air moving across the lake must be significantly cooler than the surface air (which is likely to be near the temperature of the water surface). Specifically, the air temperature at an altitude where the air pressure is 850 millibars (85 kPa) (roughly 1.5 kilometers or 0.93 miles vertically) should be 13 °C (23 °F) lower than the temperature of the air at the surface. Lake-effect occurring when the air at 850 millibars (85 kPa) is much colder than the water surface can produce thundersnow, snow showers accompanied by lightning and thunder (caused by larger amounts of energy available from the increased instability).

In the United Kingdom, easterly winds bringing cold continental air across the North Sea can lead to a similar phenomenon. Locally it is also known as "lake-effect snow" despite the snow coming in from the sea rather than a lake. {[fact}}

Since the North Sea is relatively warm (around 13 °C or 55.4 °F at the beginning of winter, typically 10 to 6 °C or 50 to 43 °F by the end), sufficiently cold air aloft can create significant snowfalls in a relatively short period of time. The best-known example occurred in January 1987, when record-breaking cold air (associated with an upper low) moved across the North Sea towards the UK. The end result was over a foot of snow for coastal areas, leading to communities being cut off for over a week. In recent years, lake-effect snow has been much lighter.

Hope that helps,

Tom.

Posted

Pretty much spot on - had about 1-2cm which gave a covering minor roads and melted about an hour later.

Thanks,

It looks like the poster who keeps saying the region will get foots and foots of snow every time is yet again way off the mark and gets peoples hopes up with it.

It seems he has gone to bed now as schools on this morning. I'd point him in the direction of the learning area here on n-w but i feel that he will still go for 20 foot of snow in 20c conditions.

Now how to get a ignore button on a mobile device !

Posted

Look the fella took loads of stick CWT2012...Give him a break i suspect hes only just joined the forum...was reading radar seeing it as he thought might happen...unfortunately got peoples hopes up or those who believed him......Sure hell learn from that...and it is only the weather/blobsmile.png

Edited by ChartViewer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Agree though as JP said T144 hopefully fi at moment...agree dont like that height anomaly to south...stops jet going south east...we want troughing over Europe.....which we need to feed height rises up North and north west.

Going by that alone, there does appear to be some tentative signs of slight ridging in the Atlantic up to Greenland so perhaps not so terrible in the long term.

Posted

Going by that alone, there does appear to be some tentative signs of slight ridging in the Atlantic up to Greenland so perhaps not so terrible in the long term.

Agree PS..Some GFS ensembles, ECM 240, and GFS tentative in suggesting height rises...all a bit messy at moment...lets get through this gunk after Saturday and hope we see some models suggesting what we want...North Easterly all through Febbiggrin.png

Edited by ChartViewer