Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

I thought you guys might be interested in viewing this image, I thought it was bizarre that there is a large gap of no snow over a small area of Manchester.

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?subset=United_Kingdom_Ireland.2013026.terra.1km.jpg

they gritted that area well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Despite the temperature reaching around 7-8C today, we still have a load of snow cover! Most places are still white (look white, it's slushy). Grass still nicely covered with snow, not slush.

It's 6.0C here right now, and it's not melting very fast despite having some light rain showers today, surprisingly.

Posted

Temp 4c here bbq anyone.

Been out and about today and its not easy to walk in that slush

Posted

Cant believe how quite it is on here...

Seeing as you are posting such fab pics, here's one of.....my dog! Please don't tell me how good I am at taking pics, I already know.. tease.gif

that person has no head lol

Posted

I thought you guys might be interested in viewing this image, I thought it was bizarre that there is a large gap of no snow over a small area of Manchester.

http://lance-modis.e...6.terra.1km.jpg

Christ ,that is just a p**s take,lol.

Christ ,that is just a p**s take,lol.I think that was my area.ha

Where is that other bare patch in the n.w. of our region? Edited by greybing

Posted

flood warning alert !!

A Flood Alert has been issued by the Environment Agency for the Crossens area.

Flooding is possible for Low lying land from Ormskirk to Southport including, Banks, Birkdale, Brown Edge, Mere Brow and Scarisbrick .

Low lying land and roads will be affected first.

Be prepared to protect yourself, family, pets and property.

In view of the snowfall last night, the predicted rainfall this evening and overnight and the variability in melting during the day, it is difficult to specifically assess flood risk. Therefore a flood alert has been issued for the catchment. Rainfall is expected to clear through Lancashire tomorrow

Posted

Absolutely chucking it down with rain now - hopefully all the slush will be washed away, snow cover now decreasing slowly.

Posted

So guys, whens the next cold spell looking to be around? Met going for a colder feel now on there long range forecast, I cant make any sense of the model discussion on these forums though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Had a top day messing in the snow/sludge. Whens the next cold spell???

post-19090-0-72960700-1359227720_thumb.j

Edited by Spah1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well last night turned out to be a night not to forget,just over 11cm of snow fell here last night,i was lucky though

as places like Macclesfield and Congleton saw very little

MUFC

To answer your question

The only thing a can say is look NE for the next cold spell, i would think some nice eye candy will be in the models

within in the next 4-5 days,the ENS already trending colder,with a few -10 appearing

But enough of that i will shut up now in case i get accused of ramping

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Had a top day messing in the snow/sludge. Whens the next cold spell???

could start around 7th-10th february. I think. as far as I know.smile.png

It seems everything is coming back to normal on this thread. Peace and quiet at last. At least for couple of weeks.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and humid with some thunderstorms plus some snow too.

Great cold spell for me - I have gone over a week with snow on the ground in Garston and it had a great finale with the very heavy snowfall last night that was indeed exciting we must have had about 8cm or so - I went to see my friend in Chester today and they seemed to have even more on the ground thier upwards of 10cm - it is melting away now with the rain but I think we may get another cold or snow spell - probably in February but we know that March and even April can deliver too (e.g. March 2006/April 2008) so plenty of time for cold and snow yet.

I am also curious - I am wondering if Merseyside/Cheshire got any good snowfalls during the February 1991 cold wave - can't seem to remember anything in particular around that time but I think we would have probably had something - I think I remember Hot Cuppa saying that we got around 10cm or so in 1991 in this area from a front passing though rather than the initial easterly - does anyone recall what this area got then? Also how about January 1987 - I think Saint Snow over on TWO said Merseyside got some of the powdery snow but nowhere near as much as the SE - and very cold temperatures.

Luke

Posted

Significant cell of heavy-rain making inroads to Cheshire and possibly this area of the Peak District in the next hour. The cells out west are showing sferics on the ATD detection aswell as being visually confirmed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very windy and WET tonight rather than having blowing snow! Quite an active few days ahead with the main risks from heavy rainfall and very strong winds which could cause disruption in a few regions.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Did anyone else hear what sounded like fireworks between 7.30pm and 8pm. Getting many reports across the UK from Northamptonshire, Birmingham, etc of the same consistent 'booms' being heard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Did anyone else hear what sounded like fireworks between 7.30pm and 8pm. Getting many reports across the UK from Northamptonshire, Birmingham, etc of the same consistent 'booms' being heard.

maybe someone is trying to blow up them pesky pennines, so we get more snow like last night :rofl:

Posted

Snow still has not melted but chucking it down with rain all slushy and wet. Ew

Very much the same here..it is rather messy out there.

Here is a video to explain what happen last night when some people were reporting icy rain and graupel. In the States, it is what they call sleet

He says sleet bounces on the ground, his definition of what sleet is is massively different to my interpretation of what sleet actually is. Does anyone else agree with me on this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Seeing their definition of sleet definately made me do this...........

doubletake.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

He says sleet bounces on the ground, his definition of what sleet is is massively different to my interpretation of what sleet actually is. Does anyone else agree with me on this?

I agree I thought sleet was rain and snow falling together. hail is what he said it was and graupel is different . graupel is defined on wiki as

Graupel[pronunciation?] (also called soft hail or snow pellets)[1] refers to precipitation that forms when supercooled droplets of water are collected and freeze on a falling snowflake, forming a 2–5 mm (0.079–0.197 in) ball of rime. Strictly speaking, graupel is not the same as hail or ice pellets, although it is sometimes referred to as small hail. However, the World Meteorological Organization defines small hail as snow pellets encapsulated by ice, a precipitation halfway between graupel and hail.[2]