Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 05/02/13 08 -------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Light snow back on here, but earlier covering just about gone. Unless it gets heavier and more sustained I don't see us getting any accumulation that could be called anything other than a dusting.

Posted

Wet and windy in west Edinburgh!!

Yeah started as snow here at the Gyle but rapidly went downhill. Still falling as wet snow in the higher suburbs but won't be long until it's rain there too.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

The band passed through quickly so I think i won't have lost too much snow in Maddiston. The next batch of showers will be rain bit cold after 9pm tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just a little light snow here this morning which turned sleety quickly and died out.Still just a cover of snow left.

6 inches fresh up in the garden at Aberfeldy. The previous snow in the garden had not all melted according to my brother[not sure if it went under 50%] so continuous cover for well over three weeks there now.

Got lucky this morning and avoided having to go through to Glasgow as someone down there had emailed to say the roads were bad. A colleague went through on the train instead but called later to say there would have been

no probs.%7Boption%7D

Edit. Light rain showers here now 3c. Snow gone from town area.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Just a little light snow here this morning which turned sleety quickly and died out.Still just a cover of snow left.

6 inches fresh up in the garden at Aberfeldy. The previous snow in the garden had not all melted according to my brother[not sure if it went under 50%] so continuous cover for well over three weeks there now.

Got lucky this morning and avoided having to go through to Glasgow as someone down there had emailed to say the roads were bad. A colleague went through on the train instead but called later to say there would have been no probs.drinks.gif

The roads were ok it was the drivers. It took me 1.45 hours to get from Falkirk to Glasgow. Yet the motorways were clear of snow. Just some people cannae drive it's the same when it's heavy rain. People never learn to leave enough room on the motorway!

fool.gif

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

The roads were ok it was the drivers. It took me 1.45 hours to get from Falkirk to Glasgow. Yet the motorways were clear of snow. Just some people cannae drive it's the same when it's heavy rain. People never learn to leave enough room on the motorway!

fool.gif

i used to think the same thing when i stayed in glasgow and sat on the M 8 in the morning if everyone would learn to leave decent distances and not be so against leaving room incase someone pulled infront of them things would go alot faster as they wouldnt have to be on and off there brakes all the time

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Right. Yesterday evening and overnight was fun. Let's get this afternoon/evening out of the way first but when's the next snow risk? I'd rate our changes here of snow in a northerly as zero but I'd have happily said the same yesterday about showers from the west smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Snawshields intact in Skye, Rainshields gubbed! Horizontal rain here and just a tad on the cauld side!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Temp.now 6.2C (+2.8C/hour) and snow largely gone

Posted

Right. Yesterday evening and overnight was fun. Let's get this afternoon/evening out of the way first but when's the next snow risk? I'd rate our changes here of snow in a northerly as zero but I'd have happily said the same yesterday about showers from the west smile.png

I think the East will do well out of a Northerly ironically enough. The middle of the country will get very little as the Geography of Scotland means trhe Grampians and the Ochills suck up all the snow before it gets to the valleys.

Posted

This is perhaps the worst weather related news article I've ever seen fool.gif

http://www.scotsman....gales-1-2775473

Well the Hootsman is a terrible paper these days. That's probably one of the journalists wifes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

not great news for many areas but in line with what was expected

Here’s another update on the weather for today and through the rest of this week.

Last night’s heavy snow showers gave some fairly decent snow accumulations across higher parts of Scotland, with a light covering for many places at lower levels. The combination of snow and ice did give some difficult travelling conditions in places. For information, here are a selection of snow depth measurements from this morning:- Aberfeldy (Perth and Kinross) 15-17 cm, Eskdalemuir 14 cm, Aviemore 12 cm, Drumalbin (South Lanarkshire) 10 cm, Tulloch Bridge 7cm.

The band of rain, sleet and snow is now (at 1145) starting to clear away from southern Scotland. The Amber Warning for Snow expired at 0900, and the Yellow Warning for Snow will expire at 1200. There are no plans to update to renew either of these warnings.

Following the clearance, wintry showers will spread into the north and northeast during this afternoon, giving snow on high ground (above around 300m) but these are likely to fall as rain at low levels. Central and southern areas may see some showers but most parts are likely to be mainly dry. During the evening, a more persistent area of wintry precipitation will move southwards across the Northern Isles, Highland and Grampian. This will continue to quickly spread southwards during the early hours, mainly affecting central and eastern parts, before clearing by around 0300. It will be another cold night tonight, with a widespread ice risk across many parts of Scotland. A Yellow Warning for Ice will be issued today to raise awareness of the ice risk.

Strong northerly winds will push heavy , blustery wintry showers into northern Scotland during Wednesday, with most central and southern areas staying mainly dry, although some showers could affect eastern coastal areas. The showers are expected to be heaviest and most frequent across the northeast Highlands, Grampian and the Angus hills. A Yellow Alert for Snow showers across these areas was issued yesterday. This will be updated today, with the start time brought forward to 1900 this evening, to reflect the more persistent area of wintry precipitation crossing the area this evening and overnight.

Beyond Wednesday, we are currently not expecting too much in the way of disruptive weather on the horizon. The risk of widespread ice formation will be considered on a daily basis, and we’re keeping an eye on a band of rain and hill snow which is expected to move in from the west on Friday. There is a suggestion of snow to lower levels in places, but the band is looking likely to weaken and break up as it crosses the land, so it isn’t looking likely to be disruptive at the moment.

Edited by edodfc

Posted

Think it will be a case of looking oot the window to see what is falling for the rest of the week. Marginal stuff tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

not great news for many areas but in line with what was expected

Here’s another update on the weather for today and through the rest of this week.

Last night’s heavy snow showers gave some fairly decent snow accumulations across higher parts of Scotland, with a light covering for many places at lower levels. The combination of snow and ice did give some difficult travelling conditions in places. For information, here are a selection of snow depth measurements from this morning:- Aberfeldy (Perth and Kinross) 15-17 cm, Eskdalemuir 14 cm, Aviemore 12 cm, Drumalbin (South Lanarkshire) 10 cm, Tulloch Bridge 7cm.

The band of rain, sleet and snow is now (at 1145) starting to clear away from southern Scotland. The Amber Warning for Snow expired at 0900, and the Yellow Warning for Snow will expire at 1200. There are no plans to update to renew either of these warnings.

Following the clearance, wintry showers will spread into the north and northeast during this afternoon, giving snow on high ground (above around 300m) but these are likely to fall as rain at low levels. Central and southern areas may see some showers but most parts are likely to be mainly dry. During the evening, a more persistent area of wintry precipitation will move southwards across the Northern Isles, Highland and Grampian. This will continue to quickly spread southwards during the early hours, mainly affecting central and eastern parts, before clearing by around 0300. It will be another cold night tonight, with a widespread ice risk across many parts of Scotland. A Yellow Warning for Ice will be issued today to raise awareness of the ice risk.

Strong northerly winds will push heavy , blustery wintry showers into northern Scotland during Wednesday, with most central and southern areas staying mainly dry, although some showers could affect eastern coastal areas. The showers are expected to be heaviest and most frequent across the northeast Highlands, Grampian and the Angus hills. A Yellow Alert for Snow showers across these areas was issued yesterday. This will be updated today, with the start time brought forward to 1900 this evening, to reflect the more persistent area of wintry precipitation crossing the area this evening and overnight.

Beyond Wednesday, we are currently not expecting too much in the way of disruptive weather on the horizon. The risk of widespread ice formation will be considered on a daily basis, and we’re keeping an eye on a band of rain and hill snow which is expected to move in from the west on Friday. There is a suggestion of snow to lower levels in places, but the band is looking likely to weaken and break up as it crosses the land, so it isn’t looking likely to be disruptive at the moment.

Is this from the Met Office? I'd agree with most of that but they somehow keep managing to ignore the elephant in the room for Sunday/Monday -

UW144-21.GIF?05-06

ECM1-144.GIF?05-12

gem-0-144.png?00

nogaps-0-144.png?05-11

Posted

3-4cm of pretty fluffy cover this morning, mostly gone now. I do think LSS's snow map was more accurate then the METO warnings!

I note GFS is still missing from the collection above.

PS, those charts look nothing like elephants.blum.gif

Posted

WELL Done Westies and those who had fun and thunder last night!

that low's on the move now.. flow definitely changed to the NW .. those warm uppers are going to scupper the early evening for most I think, I think the warning has only brought forward for elevated areas, i.e. over 250m

Nowcast: hitting hotspots for the day here with T 5.6*C/3.3*C DP - and while there's been some teeny weeny light rainshowers, currently there is a a heaver pulse that is borderline sleet..

'Mon the N/NE'ly pepperpot :)

I'm not so convinced about the elephant are you sure it's there, LSS, LOL! - I'm sure we will see some MT TOORPing in the next few days if it decides to leave the room to make up for it.. either way entertaining ;)

Posted

I woke up to a fantastic, proper covering of snow that was abscent throughout the cold spell in January that only brought a brief, patchy cm on a few occasions. I wasn't able to measure the depth but I assume it was around 2-4cm which is pretty close to December 2nd/3rd earlier this year. The second proper snow event this winter - defined by depths over a cm on most surfaces, shovel in use etc - the same number as last year and here, it could be the best February snowfall since 2009. However sadly, one of the fastest thaws I've seen occured in the morning and the snow is all gone - I recall, in Feb 2009, a front from the north west brought around an inch of snow that disapeared within a hour. Right now, the temperature is around 6/7C but it is calm and pleasant with some afternoon sunshine and blue skies. I would have loved to have kept the snow for longer but I'm pretty happy with what's happened so far, making for a more balanced winter for snow and cold than last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

'Mon the N/NE'ly pepperpot smile.png

I know it's only been a few days since we last had falling and lying snow so can't complain too much but yeah, come on with the northerly. I hoped I'm proved wrong though but I don't have great expectations for the next few days for some reason. Maybe cos I'd like to see the Met Office temp forecasts a bit lower.

I'm not so convinced about the elephant are you sure it's there, LSS, LOL! - I'm sure we will see some MT TOORPing in the next few days if it decides to leave the room to make up for it.. either way entertaining tease.gif

I don't know about TOORPing, it's approaching all out warfare in the MT today between the 'GFS supporters' and the 'ECM supporters' (the UKMO is taking the middle ground so is currently claiming neutrality).

Posted

Because I knew it would thaw today I was finding it hard to get excited about the snow last night. Would be nice if we could keep the cover for longer than half a day...but hey ho.Roll on the next batch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Because I knew it would thaw today I was finding it hard to get excited about the snow last night. Would be nice if we could keep the cover for longer than half a day...but hey ho.Roll on the next batch.

Agreed, the lack of any prolonged freeze up has been the main downside because the overall snowfall totals have been very good but have degraded fairly quickly for most of the central lowlands. This is the fifth fall of an inch or more in Freuchie and maybe the 7th fall of a cm or more here at Pollock (with only two of an inch or more) so far this winter.

Posted

Just been up home and snaw all gone where the sun got to work, but nice cover in the shaded area's.

Well hopefully I will still have a wee bit at 400ft.

I can reveal the Met office new local weather forecaster. I am told it is extremely reliable:

IMG_04841.jpg