Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 8th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Please use this thread for your discussions about the current weather or what is being forecast for the next few days in the South East and East Anglia...please remember these regional threads were set up to talk about local conditions and your thoughts on how things are panning out so can we keep things light and topical and avoid any personal remarks - Thanks!!

Link to the previous one here:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

As as per the last cold spell, will this thread split amicably for a cooling off period followed by a mild reconciliation?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

This is hilarious! Absolutely true! rofl.gif

Posted

As as per the last cold spell, will this thread split amicably for a cooling off period followed by a mild reconciliation?

I think it probably needs to be tbh, most Northern and Anglia members are looking like getting the white stuff and most Kentites and Sarf of the dreaded (Nuke It) M4 Looks like rain currently.

Will be a strange old thread come Sunday night into Monday, could be a bit spicy!

Posted

Still time for it to change, not looking good tho for our Kentish lot, again! We have had no luck this winter, lets hope it changes smile.png

Edited by Ben Capee McInnes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

"Might be because winds follow through the bristol channel and along the thames creating a warmer pocket of air due to reletively warm waters, along what looks like the M4 but really the estuary and river"

Perfect Storm,

I've always thought that myself, the 2 bodies of water, Thames Estuary and Bristol Channel modifying temps south of the M4 corridor.

The bulky landmass of E.Anglia helps those north of London as cold seems more entrenched over that part of the country, just before a frontal attack from the S.W.

Also of course, counties south of the Thames are that much closer to the modifying temps of the English Channel too.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Snow for London & South East England :

Buckinghamshire, Milton Keynes & Oxfordshire

Yellow Alert of Snow for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Peterborough, Suffolk & Luton

Valid from: 0600 on Sun 10 Feb 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Sun 10 Feb 2013

Early rain over western Britain is expected to turn to snow as it spreads eastwards across much of England, Wales and southern Scotland during the course of Sunday. Early rain over Northern Ireland is also likely to turn to snow, whilst other parts of Scotland are affected by wintry showers.

Accumulations at lower levels may exceed 10 cm over parts of the Midlands, Wales Northern England. Over ground above 300 metres accumulations in excess of 20 cm are possible. The public should be aware of possible disruption, particularly to travel.

Issued at: 1121 on Fri 8 Feb 2013

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=5D5EF2F0-362D-2410-5308-B44ED2074322_5_SE&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=7&lon=-0.50&lat=51.35&fcTime=1360238460

Yellow Alert of Snow for East of England :

Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Peterborough & Suffolk

Valid from: 0005 on Mon 11 Feb 2013

Valid to: 1800 on Mon 11 Feb 2013

Further spells of snow are expected to affect parts of the UK during Monday, particularly during the early hours and morning. There is then potential for further accumulations of 1 to 3 cm at lower levels and up to 10 cm over higher ground above 300 metres. Ice is then also increasingly likely become a hazard and the public should be aware of possible disruption to transport.

Issued at: 1122 on Fri 8 Feb 2013

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=ee&from=rss&sn=8B06B895-D7B8-7B14-F07A-B45A351DD2AC_5_EE&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=7&lon=0.87&lat=52.30&fcTime=1360238460

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Those of us in the south of the region need that NE'erly next week and snow showers generated by the North Sea. It rarely fails to give a covering at leastwub.png They seem to be elusive atm and vanish at two days notice. grr!.... On the basis of current thinking I am starting to hope on an IMBY basis that this low pops it clogs out of the way asap , so that the snow showers can (hopefully) take over.cold.gif

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

It could do, I guess it depends how busy it gets and how geographically anything that gets to us falls.

I've given up on the model charts this morning, you can just about find anything you want if you look hard enough. I think the hi-res stuff tomorrow morning might be better, but even then it seems to be a lot of guesswork and hoping.

Posted

My son is stuck in New York ....all flights cancelled,and flights from heathrow cancelled as well.

Inch an hour is forecast, for the next sixteen hours now that's Snow, not the silly bits we get.

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

I have a real feeling we might get enough north sea convetion to see some unexpected snow for the south of east anglia. It's happened before and it will happen again, Where i am in the region doesnt look favourable at all for decent accumulations but i have a hunch it will change nearer the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)
"Oh scrat,

Just 10 miles SSE from here but a world away in weather terms, its just not fair!

Once went on a snow chase to Biggin, many moons ago, cold rain with a few flakes in Bromley Town centre, turned to wet snow at Bromley Common, then heavy snow and settling at Keston, by the time I reached Biggin Airport, a few inches and hammering down with the white stuff, then further up to the High Street and probably 3 to 4 inches on the ground. Got back to Bromley again and nothing but wet roads and pavements, literally 7 miles away, unbelievable but of course 350/400 feet lower in altitude.

Oh why couldnt the whole of the Bromley area have another 150 mts or so of altitude, mind you we probably all say that!

Regards,

Tom"

It's so true, literally down the road and very different with regards to the weather. I remember 18th December 2010,when I was at work in Bromley, my husband was calling me saying how bad it was in Biggin, however, I poo pooed him because we had very wet snow in Bromley that, at the time wasn't settling. When he finally convinced me to leave the changing scenery and scenario on the way home was incredible. Total white out passing Leaves Green and then had to abandon my vehicle...that'll teach me and of course he loved being right acute.gif

Current conditions here are bright, although big clouds fluffing up (mmm, I'm so technical), fairly warm in the sunshine and snow slowly disappearing (would give you a temp but my thermometer has gone a bit tease.gif and showing a temp of 22 degrees). Off to do another snow dance, now I've had my Spitfire Cafe breakfast and free latte at Waitrose. Have a good day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It could all be on the toss of a coin...

Posted

Still time for it to change, not looking good tho for our Kentish lot, again! We have had no luck this winter, lets hope it changes smile.png

I am sick of missing out every flippn time. why is it ALWAYS us? You can keep cold rain...YUCK.

Posted

Such an extremely frustrating spell

It is awkward to say the least....

Posted

It is awkward to say the least....

Coast is it curtains then for me in north kent..AGAIN? Or do you think we may still be lucky?

Posted

Coast is it curtains then for me in north kent..AGAIN? Or do you think we may still be lucky?

The computer says no!

CD

Posted

Genuinely? I really haven't a clue about anywhere in our region at this moment. If I were betting on the outcome though - I wouldn't....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

The models will have more clue as to what the low will do once it has formed, which I do not think it has yet. But I do trust the met fax charts, they have been wrong before though, also the met office modals will also have more clue once the low exists.

Posted

My son is stuck in New York ....all flights cancelled,and flights from heathrow cancelled as well.

Inch an hour is forecast, for the next sixteen hours now that's Snow, not the silly bits we get.

Clacton the 2 locations of NE US and SE England are not really comparable though in terms of snow potential at any given time though are they. If anything I am amazed we get any noting our environment. So maybe your living in the wrong country. :-)

Posted

post-13916-0-84618500-1360329757_thumb.j

According to this the whole of london gets snow

And this was after the warnings came out

They ain't got a Danny larue

Edited by M fish

Posted

UK news today!

So what if NE America is getting 2 foot of snow! Couldn't care less.

If the UK had all that land mass to the west of us with no Gulf Stream then we would have had 2ft by now.

Why do we always get compared to America and slag off our own pitiful amounts of snow each time we are compared to them. How comes noone ever compares snow amounts to Russia? Or Sweden? Or Norway?

For a tiny little island on the end of a Gulf Stream stuck right next to a warm Atlantic I think we do pretty well for Snow!

Posted

post-13916-0-84618500-1360329757_thumb.j

According to this the whole of london gets snow

And this was after the warnings came out

They ain't got a Danny larue

well it was broadcast at 11.51 and i imagine it must have been prepared at least an hour earlier from the morning data. maybe the warnings are after extra data has appeared from in house models. its not far off the warnings. 30 miles here or there.