Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 8th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, February 8, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Methuselah, February 8, 2013 - No reason given

well it was broadcast at 11.51 and i imagine it must have been prepared at least an hour earlier from the morning data. maybe the warnings are after extra data has appeared from in house models. its not far off the warnings. 30 miles here or there.agree

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Just for D29, hoping to be able to post some pics from my brothers place (Worcester, just west of Boston). Right in the firing line it would seem. 24 inch's forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I'm not that worried to be honest, as it looks like we will have an easterly flow for a bit once this system is through, so it does not produce, I'm sure the easterly will, and normally for us convection from the north sea is better then the frontal anyway.

All is not lost on the low yet, there is uncertainty so it may develop more favourably for us. Fingers crossed, it develops much more south then in todays forcast.

Posted

well it was broadcast at 11.51 and i imagine it must have been prepared at least an hour earlier from the morning data. maybe the warnings are after extra data has appeared from in house models. its not far off the warnings. 30 miles here or there.

Hmm, but that 30 miles makes a huge difference to the most populated part of the UK,more than 8,000,000 people?

Posted

Its probably one of those situations in fairness where 'past performance is a clear guide to the future' smile.png

So, as a real 'gut feeling' inspired punt my thoughts are as follows. Probably not currently far off what the warning show, the warnings will change but i'm sticking with the below.

Kent - Rain

Essex - Rain / Snow (Snow in north of county)

Suffolk - Snow

Norfolk - Snow

London - Rain

Herts - Snow anywhere more than a few miles north of M25

East Sussex - Rain

Surrey - Rain

West Sussex - Rain / snow (snow further towards the west)

Lets see come Monday how close I get. IMBY (Basildon), total rainfest.

In saying the above allow for rain to start almost everywhere and a bit of back edge snow right across the region.

One last prediction - a big cold spell later in the month. ohmy.png

Jason

Posted

My son is stuck in New York ....all flights cancelled,and flights from heathrow cancelled as well.

Inch an hour is forecast, for the next sixteen hours now that's Snow, not the silly bits we get.

Hi Clactongaz, I hope your son gets home safely soon x good.gif

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Coast, February 8, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Coast, February 8, 2013 - No reason given

Thinon pops his head in hoping for a feast...

...Realises people are scraping bones instead

Retreats back into mild exile

Posted

Norfolk - Snow

Jason

Sorry guys but please please please next two weeks, rain only, then mega snowstorm or whatever can happen.I shall look forward to it but I have to be able to get places in the next few days.

Posted

Its probably one of those situations in fairness where 'past performance is a clear guide to the future' smile.png

So, as a real 'gut feeling' inspired punt my thoughts are as follows. Probably not currently far off what the warning show, the warnings will change but i'm sticking with the below.

Kent - Rain

Essex - Rain / Snow (Snow in north of county)

Suffolk - Snow

Norfolk - Snow

London - Rain

Herts - Snow anywhere more than a few miles north of M25

East Sussex - Rain

Surrey - Rain

West Sussex - Rain / snow (snow further towards the west)

Lets see come Monday how close I get. IMBY (Basildon), total rainfest.

In saying the above allow for rain to start almost everywhere and a bit of back edge snow right across the region.

Jason

That's going to be a pain. A wash-out for us and a white out further up the A130. Still wouldn't take a big shift South for us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

Just for D29, hoping to be able to post some pics from my brothers place (Worcester, just west of Boston). Right in the firing line it would seem. 24 inch's forecast.

I'd like to see them, am always in awe of snow piccies even when its not IMBY good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

UK news today!

So what if NE America is getting 2 foot of snow! Couldn't care less.

Its raining in New york atm..............................

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/index.php?goto=live

Posted

OK, update from Eastbourne after a lunchtime walk:

FWIW, I have just seen the local council filling the grit bins, the last time they did that as I remember was just before the January snow...... (just an observation you understand :winky: )

I'd like to see them, am always in awe of snow piccies even when its not IMBY good.gif

But the question is Nikki, is your camera ready?

Posted

Ugh. This winter has been sooooo annoying. Looks like we're missing out again. Still, though, it's funny how we'll take a few cm of snow. Boston looks like it's getting in excess of 20inches overnight. I can only dream of something like that.

Posted

Looks bang on the money Jason - Rain from Mid Essex Southwards (Maybe Colchester the transition line) but agree with all the rest you put apart from you forgot heavy snow under Thinons Bridge (Who let him out again) blum.gif

Great to see all the usuals coming back just in time for the weekend, would not be the same without a bit of marginality, would be a much more boring place for sure.

Its raining in New york atm..............................

http://www.earthcam....x.php?goto=live

That was always meant to happen - Believe it or not they are having a bit of marginality early doors as well, started as Snow turning to Sleet and Heavy Rain and expected to turn back to snow by 6pm (11pm Uk Time) Not just in the Uk do we have these wintry mixes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

I'm going center parcs in East anglia on 25th February for a week, would be lovely to see the white stuff then! As apart from that Sunday in January we've missed out on so many snow events down here, knowing my luck, there will be a Thames streamer event end of February when I'm in Suffolk/Norfolk lol!

Posted

Looks bang on the money Jason - Rain from Mid Essex Southwards (Maybe Colchester the transition line) but agree with all the rest you put apart from you forgot heavy snow under Thinons Bridge (Who let him out again) blum.gif

Great to see all the usuals coming back just in time for the weekend, would not be the same without a bit of marginality, would be a much more boring place for sure.

That was always meant to happen - Believe it or not they are having a bit of marginality early doors as well, started as Snow turning to Sleet and Heavy Rain and expected to turn back to snow by 6pm (11pm Uk Time) Not just in the Uk do we have these wintry mixes

doh.gif 20 miles too east a few Friday's ago and now 20 miles too South. Bah

Posted

BBC London:

"Snow risk warning has been lifted"

"Heavy rain for Sunday"

She said it with such happiness! Huh, whatever.

Remember most of the viewrs on BBC London are within the M25 and are heavily effected by the "Heat effect" of London. In margingal situations if you are within 30 miles of the centre of london you will miss out. As things stand only the north of the region stand a chance IE North Herts through North Cambs etc. This could and will probably adjust another 100 miles or so in the next 24 hrs so could still go either way for our region. Could be worse though we could be in Cornwall !

Posted

i have just seen the local council filling the grit bins, the last time they did that as I remember was just before the January snow......

is that so the kids can play in the grit/sand instead of the disappointment ? blum.gif

Posted

So what do we need the models to show to shift some of that snow to se Essex?

We need that LP To form and shift South Eastwards and not stall, currently the heavier precip and colder digging temps are North of the Low so Midlands Northwards gets it, this pivots and the band fragments dying away during Monday, sleet and slops would then clear southwards and a slack east wind would set in darn south with stronger easterlies further North giving Humberside all the way upto Aberdeen the Convective Snow showers.

If it forms and gets a wriggle on quick we get the heavy precip (Rain turning to Snow) and also the stronger flow as the LP Clears into France hence the convective showers for Mon / Tues

Posted

PHill A

Snow in london !

post-13916-0-07112100-1360333983_thumb.j

Have you noticed though:

Although snow graphics are over London, all the forecasters are mentioning from the "midlands Northwards"

By this evening forecasts I bet the graphics turn to rain over London

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Remember most of the viewrs on BBC London are within the M25 and are heavily effected by the "Heat effect" of London. In margingal situations if you are within 30 miles of the centre of london you will miss out. As things stand only the north of the region stand a chance IE North Herts through North Cambs etc. This could and will probably adjust another 100 miles or so in the next 24 hrs so could still go either way for our region. Could be worse though we could be in Cornwall !

And some parts of Herts has a bit of elevation.

Still think it could shift a bit south aswell.

Cornwall is a stunning place,but as you say the only thing that would stop me living there is the lack of snow!