Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 09/02/13 18z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

current temp is 2.4c dew point is -1.8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

A few flakes of snow in Darlo

temp has gone from 2.4 to 2.7 in the last 10mins i can only see sleet/rain, i no this ppn is from the first front do you think the temp will fall once the main band arrives this evening, thats 1 thing ive noticed from this winter the temp always seems to be higher than the forecasters suggest sometimes by a good few degrees my understanding was the temp they gave was the maximum

Posted

2.8 now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

temp has gone from 2.4 to 2.7 in the last 10mins i can only see sleet/rain, i no this ppn is from the first front do you think the temp will fall once the main band arrives this evening, thats 1 thing ive noticed from this winter the temp always seems to be higher than the forecasters suggest sometimes by a good few degrees my understanding was the temp they gave was the maximum

Yes its turned to sleet now on the radar it was only a few flakes anyway

TBH I see no snow below 400m today rain is most likely we may see wet snow in heavier bursts at times

I agree about the temps even last week they were higher than forecast which for snow is crucial

A quick look at Monday and clear blue sky is expected all day

Posted

Current forecasts from the met office suggest temperatures will shoot up from 1c on Wednesday to 6c on Thursday

The reason for this? warmer westerly winds

ukmaxtemp.png

ukmaxtemp.png

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Light rain 3.1°C

dew point 0.0°C

Anything worth bragging about incoming on the radar?

Not really just rain and sleet for most, parts of Scotland are getting the bulk of the snow

Posted

The met office have just updated the snow warnings the warning now ends at 23:59 and not 10am Monday morning those along the east coast are no longer under a warning I'd say about as far inland as the darlo area

sunwarning_zps719a0523.png

Posted

Well may as well start looking ahead now that this is more or less a non event...is it looking any good for Wednesday?

BBC weather for the week ahead shows snow for Wednesday but a rapid thaw on Thursday as temperatures shoot up from 1c on Wednesday to 7c on Thursday

High pressure then builds in on Friday with temperatures around 6c

Posted

BBC weather for the week ahead shows snow for Wednesday but a rapid thaw on Thursday as temperatures shoot up from 1c on Wednesday to 7c on Thursday

High pressure then builds in on Friday with temperatures around 6c

ah well, at least the extended outlook from the met office looks promising for cold

Posted

This is roughly what the early outlook suggests for Wednesday

prectypeuktopo.png

How ever with over 70 hours to go till Wednesday any thing can happen the precipitation could fizzle out like today and turn into a non event

Posted

This is roughly what the early outlook suggests for Wednesday

prectypeuktopo.png

How ever with over 70 hours to go till Wednesday any thing can happen the precipitation could fizzle out like today and turn into a non event

Yep either that or it will shift 500 Miles South and bury the South

Posted

Yep either that or it will shift 500 Miles South and bury the South

Yeah I'm certainly not going to get any hopes up so many times this winter its either fizzled out, moved somewhere else or temperatures have been too warm. With it moving in from the NW we have the old age problem of how much will be left if / when its crossed the North Pennines

Posted

Matt Hugo on Twitter saying there's a risk of significant snow on Wednesday for Scotland and N Eng

Yes... but as commented on above, my bet is the Pennines will leave the borders and Leeds area very white and us in a snow shadow... and in any case, warmer uppers are on the middle/back end of that band and will quickly lead to rain and snowmelt.

Posted

Oh well as today now looks a non-event snowfall wise for this region unless you are above 350m, attention now turns to Wednesday.

Unlike today, we will see a much more active front move in off the atlantic and thanks to colder uppers and dewpoints ahead of this feature, we could end up with a very similiar scenario to 25th January which delivered some heavy falls of snow to much of the region but then a rapid rise in temperatures as it moves through and a rapid thaw. I'm not a great lover of such snowy events, but they often do the business for Cumbria - thanks to heavy precipitation and rapid evaporative cooling.

Longer term - my thoughts are on a very wintry end to February.

Posted

Matt Hugo on Twitter saying there's a risk of significant snow on Wednesday for Scotland and N Eng

He also said the same about today a few days back and look at what we have...........................