Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 09/02/13 18z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Folk in the Yorks thread reporting snow so considering they are further inland and with greater elevation, anyone hoping for snow tonight are going to be disappointed.

Was in the car about 30 minutes ago and temp was showing 6c - not a cat in hells chance of anything remotely wintry tonight I'm afraid.

Posted

hiya

i am in hope we dont get the snow my doughter is going from darlington to preston setting off at 12.30 tmz can you tell me what it might be like weather wise from d,ton to preston bit worriedsorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

hiya

i am in hope we dont get the snow my doughter is going from darlington to preston setting off at 12.30 tmz can you tell me what it might be like weather wise from d,ton to preston bit worriedsorry.gif

Should be sunny tomorrow for this part of the world a short lived snow event is likely on Wednesday before turning milder on Thursday and Friday

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The cold air has now undercut as far north as Yorkshire, shouldn't be long before we start getting some snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

The cold air has now undercut as far north as Yorkshire, shouldn't be long before we start getting some snow.

Where do you get your info from?

Posted

Just in time for this moderate clump of ppn to have telephone boxed off, then. rofl.giffool.giffool.giffool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Rain here.

Another magnificent forecast from the pro's. What's the point of models etc etc. If they can't be relied upon at 36 hrs have we progressed in the last 50 years?

Posted

Proper snow here now but not lying yet.

Where are you? I know you have said before, but I forget, and "NW Durham" doesn't narrow it down much. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Rain here.

Another magnificent forecast from the pro's. What's the point of models etc etc. If they can't be relied upon at 36 hrs have we progressed in the last 50 years?

Problem is the current set-up which was always going to be at best marginal. Lack of cold enought air feed, which has been the case all winter. Small changes in the position of the LP can mean the difference between snow and rain. I think the Pros have to be cautious and predict snow, just in case it does happen. Public reaction is important.

Posted

Caution? Issuing warnings and then nothing when as you say the set up was marginal? Sounds like panic stations to me.

In my mind weather is chaos. It doesn't follow models what's the point in trying to predict it.

Surely football results are easier to predict.

Posted

Caution? Issuing warnings and then nothing when as you say the set up was marginal? Sounds like panic stations to me.

In my mind weather is chaos. It doesn't follow models what's the point in trying to predict it.

Not when Boro are playing :p

Posted

They are.

Boro will lose; Sunderland will be flat as a pancake and draw; Newcastle will win 1 in 3.

Posted

Some things are just best left to the mystery of the universe. We want to know but we can't.

The future's not ours to see que sera sera

Here's a forecast. The next time the Boro win, it will snow.

Posted

Some things are just best left to the mystery of the universe. We want to know but we can't.

Tuesday evening?

Posted

Tuesday evening?

Blizzards, four foot deep!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Where do you get your info from?

Just the GFS, NAE, etc. The temperatures and dew points were predicted to fall in the SE first, spreading northwards during today/tonight.

Posted

The BBC graphics continue to puzzle me. At luncthime for instance they were showing snow over the Pennines on Tuesday, now they are showing a peppering in very odd places such as SW England and Wales and N Ireland and none for the Pennines on Tuesday - are we exchanging an easterly for a Northwesterly I don't think so..

Also for Wednesday they are showing snow over SW Scotland, then they miss out Cumbria for precipitation then show snow all of a sudden for NE England then some rain in Cumbria but not before the NE has seen precipitation ..mmm law of physics of a easterly moving front should hit Cumbria first, not miss it out and hit NE England first.

What I'm saying is best take the BBC forecasts with a pinch of salt when it comes to forecasting location and intensity of precipitation...

I've not known a winter like it when they suddenly change there minds on the location of precipitation - its been a tough winter for forecasting though it has to be said, very tough..

Posted

The BBC graphics continue to puzzle me. At luncthime for instance they were showing snow over the Pennines on Tuesday, now they are showing a peppering in very odd places such as SW England and Wales and N Ireland and none for the Pennines on Tuesday - are we exchanging an easterly for a Northwesterly I don't think so..

Also for Wednesday they are showing snow over SW Scotland, then they miss out Cumbria for precipitation then show snow all of a sudden for NE England then some rain in Cumbria but not before the NE has seen precipitation ..mmm law of physics of a easterly moving front should hit Cumbria first, not miss it out and hit NE England first.

What I'm saying is best take the BBC forecasts with a pinch of salt when it comes to forecasting location and intensity of precipitation...

I've not known a winter like it when they suddenly change there minds on the location of precipitation - its been a tough winter for forecasting though it has to be said, very tough..

I have always found BBC TV graphics should only be taken with a large pinch of salt. Lets face it, when looking at a tv-sized map of Britain, or even just this area, one "graphic" snowflake could cover a few square miles and we all know up here that in that few square miles you could cover sea-level to nigh on 2000ft !

Also, BBC website graphics are an absolute pile of pants, I really don't bother with them at all, they are a total joke. And also the Meto website graphics for the local forecasts are scatter cushion too, they really ought to be more believable as a lot of "non-weather-brained" folk put their faith in them when deciding things like travel plans/holidays/what to wear etc.

Ooh, I do love a good rant on a Sunday,

Cheers,

Karl

lol, do love the swear-filter on here, I didn't write "scatter cushion", it should have been another word for b a l l s

Edited by snowmackem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Rain here.

One word

IMMATURE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

spot on mate tuesday night it is then