Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 09/02/13 20z ------>

A.J

Posted

Tomorrow looks a very messy affair - could be one of those days when one minute it is snowing then sleeting then raining then snowing again... it will be a case of nowcasting and looking out the window.

Temperatures for settling snow on low ground will be very marginal, but where precipitation is heavy evaporative cooling could ensure low ground sees at least a temporary cover.

I think the Peak District will do very well for snowfall.

Had we seen a drier colder day today with the high to our NE advecting in colder uppers things would be far less marginal - alas the weak warm front that moved across the region this morning has really thrown a spanner in the works, on what a couple of days ago was looking a promising widespread snow event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I was wrong about the PPN not reaching us, it certainly will, will be mostly rain though and wont be heavy and plentifull for my location anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Lol I'm with you guys, all I've read about for the last few days is southwards correction!!! They said it that much I think they started seeing things! Ohh and I agree NORTHERN BOYS LOVE GRAVY!!!!

Lol I'm with you guys, all I've read about for the last few days is southwards correction!!! They said it that much I think they started seeing things! Ohh and I agree NORTHERN BOYS LOVE GRAVY!!!!

If I never hear the phrase "Southern correction" again it will be too soon! They are delusional.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Birmingham will NEVER be part of the north! Have you ever tried getting chips & gravy anywhere south of Stoke?

Well I moved down to Kettering years ago for a while and my local chippy was fascinated and ended up serving gravy. Don't know if they still do.

I think a "Southern correction" is when they tell us we are wrong - again.

Edited by Mucka

Posted

I think i'm right in saying the GFS 0z is an upgrade in terms of the precipitation amount/longevity and snow chances?

Edited by The Yellow Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just got up and it's snowing here.

Looks quite sleety but starting to stick so hopefully a good sign.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Been up since 5:15 at work here near Wilpshire and its dark and raining .........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Been up since 5:15 at work here near Wilpshire and its dark and raining .........

I think that altitude is going to play a big part in who gets what today and TBH I do think that I'm going to be just on the wrong side of marginal for anything substantial.

Probably the summit of our road at over 1300 feet will see a snow throughout event whereas 200 feet down in the town centre it could well be rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Yes know Edenfield area very well - had friends in Summerseat and was always an interesting trip in winter from Blackburn over the Grane Road :)

Posted

Yes know Edenfield area very well - had friends in Summerseat and was always an interesting trip in winter from Blackburn over the Grane Road :)

True, the Grane Road is usually closed by snow in most winters and has already on a couple of occasions this time around.

It's not incredibly high ASL (only about 1250 - 1300 feet at the most but it keeps the altitude for a considerable distance and can certainly be bleak in winter.

Posted

Not necessarily so, it could be one of those scenarios it's down to precipitation intensity. You could be 50m asl and reporting wet snow and someone could be 10 miles away 150m asl and reporting rain. All down to the intensity of precipitation. I have seen that happen myself around here, we got lying snow and yet some higher suburbs in Manchester got rain and sleet. All down to precipitation intensity.

Seen it also,many times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Overcast cool and damp here, 3.3c and quite misty as well.

Posted

True, the Grane Road is usually closed by snow in most winters and has already on a couple of occasions this time around.

It's not incredibly high ASL (only about 1250 - 1300 feet at the most but it keeps the altitude for a considerable distance and can certainly be bleak in winter.

My brother lives up belthorn and the other friday when it snowed there was 4 foot drifts up there

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

Raining here, 2 degrees and dewpoint holding steady at 2 since 6pm yesterday! Can someone send the cold air this way please? Looks like a great 'wet event' instead at the moment!

Posted

Just walked down into town for a paper and, other than a bit of sleety slush on the car windscreens it is not sticking.

Back at home the drive is covered along with the cars and grass and I have seen a couple of cars drive past from further up the hill with about a couple of cm's on them.

I would think that at the moment the critical line for settling snow is about 900 feet although that should drop as the effects of cold air mixing in and evaporative cooling take place.

Also the snow is definitely getting heavier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Just drizzle here, temp 3

Posted

Snowing lightly here in Rossendale.

Kegan where abouts in Rossendale are you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just walked down into town for a paper and, other than a bit of sleety slush on the car windscreens it is not sticking.

Back at home the drive is covered along with the cars and grass and I have seen a couple of cars drive past from further up the hill with about a couple of cm's on them.

I would think that at the moment the critical line for settling snow is about 900 feet although that should drop as the effects of cold air mixing in and evaporative cooling take place.

We have a bit of sleety stuff but not heavy at all for now, I get the feeling that once the precipitation peps up then so will the snow.

Posted

Morning Ian, I read your earlier post and thought, there's no snow then I went outside to do the chickens and down it came, flake size increasing all the time but it appears to be quite dry stuff which means it is settling, lets hope it carries on!

Posted

We have a bit of sleety stuff but not heavy at all for now, I get the feeling that once the precipitation peps up then so will the snow.

I expect that you will something settling before to long, temperatures are holding firm, if anything falling back slightly and here the snow has got quite a bit heavier over the last 20 minutes or so and is starting to blow about.