Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 12Z 15/02/13 onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Downgrade from 00z which had -8 widely at 144hrs.

At 144 hrs uppers may be not as cold but i am more concerned with the overall run and i think in some way the 12z is better. Uppers not so important in this setup as long as France, Germany etc have low temps/dp's.

Edited by bradythemole

Posted

It's usual case of dangle the carrot then water it down as it gets closer. Seen it many times this winter from the ECM especially with easterlies

Posted

I think the ecm is just getting worse run by run in my opinion'!!especially 850s wise!!this morning it was showing 850s of -8 to -10 around 144 hours amd now its just shlwing -6!!what the hells happening!!

YES LETS PANIC.

Seriously though, there will be differences from run to run until it gets to T-48 in the uppers, probably some upgrades and downgrades between now and T-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Poor run uppers wise - let's see what the rest brings. Could we be heading to the 'lesser' chilly spell Ian F was mentioning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I think the ecm is just getting worse run by run in my opinion'!!especially 850s wise!!this morning it was showing 850s of -8 to -10 around 144 hours amd now its just shlwing -6!!what the hells happening!!

I have said from the start don't get excited about full on easterlies to t96 or lower other wise people could be disappointed, we are most likely going to get a south easterly with the coldest uppers in eastern europe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It's usual case of dangle the carrot then water it down as it gets closer. Seen it many times this winter from the ECM especially with easterlies

I'm not really interested in the 'pre easterly' anyway. There's only one way that high is headed at 144 and that's forced NW once those Atlantic lows undercut. The pattern before this was always just a means to an end for me.

Posted

It's pointless looking at uppers at day 6, the orientation and position of the High will determine that.

Posted

The same that's been happening throughout winter, ECM leads the way but the GFS is having none of it, then the GFS joins the party only for the ECM to start downgrading everything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

The lack of a decent Med Low looks to be the problem on the ECM tonight, with regards to the colder 850s. But overall the pattern is good.

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The lack of a decent Med Low looks to be the problem on the ECM tonight.

Some rather rash posters seem to be the problem tonight more like

Posted

Seriously some stupid comments made in the last 10 mins.

Uppers will not be sorted right up until the event itself.

Its the general pattern you want to be watching and that is nothing short of fantastic.

Get a grip !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well lets have one good thing to say about this run, the sledgehammer lobe of polar vortex shown on the previous two runs has been removed which will prolong the lifespan the the high to our north. Uppers we can worry about when it's t92 or earlier

Posted

Some rather rash posters seem to be the problem tonight more like

I remain unconvinced until we are at +48hrs, we've been here so many times this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I think there will be colder members on the ECM ensembles - the operational is still cold at the surface anyway...

The JMA is a real catchsmiliz58.gif

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

Putting aside Upperairgate!!! The ECM has better trough disruption to the west at 168hrs, you want to see elongation and not football shaped lows so its better than this mornings output.

Posted

Maybe but remember Ian F always sits on the fence for as long as possible!

As learned from experience..... we're not the Daily Express! Anyway, much could change on this one. No point in over-analysis at this range.