Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Strange drop down ads on my profile?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

So, in my profile there are a few words highlighted that when you scroll over them a drop down ad appears. Where did they come from as I didn't put them there?

Even to the left and just below my avatar were it says "Weather and member watching expert". The word weather has it too.

Anyone any clues and can it be removed?

Nevermind, they have dissapeared for some reason.

Edited by The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I had those too...Try spybot search & destroy. It's free & easy to use, and it got rid of all that malarkey, when I had it...

Posted

I'm guessing it is adware or something of that nature. A small virus?

I'm reluctant to use some of those bot type programs as I had problems before with one that erased my whole HDD.

Posted

It might be a browser extension installed with something else, if so just un-install it.

Intended as a vaguely 'helpful' add-on (but obviously a moneymaking device to gain click through income)

Posted

2 add-ons had exceptions in my firefox, deleted one called personas?? The other was a mozilla one.

Posted

Yep those ads aren't related to anything on here they'll be either because of an addon or some malware on your own pc - best to give it a decent cleanup.

Posted

I have these as well, but to me they are very specific as they are aimed at my work, which I am fascinated by. This modern technology is wonderful. I got an iPad and iMac which I probably mistakenly was not meant to suffer from this, any idea what I can use to clean up with, nothing technical as I am a. 60 year old Luddite with the appropriate computer skills.

Thanks

Posted

Net Wx page width

see the attached file?

How do I get it to show all the page please?

No idea why 2 days ago it became as you see it now-not aware I touched anything?

thanks

post-847-0-13125700-1361202666_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi John, the magnifier in the address bar is showing that you've zoomed the page in, if you press ctrl and the - button at the same time it'll zoom back out. Alternatively go to the menu in IE, select view and zoom out from there :)

Posted

Trying to be helpful, the browser remembers your last visit settings for every site which can make you think the site has an issue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Today 2 words now in a post have been clickable and blue and underlined, and put arrow on them and it shows advert of iphone 5, just wondered if anyone else has it

just happend with word 'currently' in NW thread

Posted

9 times out of 10 (have a quick google for this sort of thing to see what I mean), this is caused by an addon to your browser deciding to show some ads in this way. Best bet is to disable addons one by one and see whether it stops showing. Also do a scan of your pc for any adware you may have downloaded at some point.

It's definitely not a type of advertising we use on the forums.

Posted

I'm using a different PC at minute but the problem I was having was exactly same as gimmesomesnow's. Random words highlighting and a drop down ad appearing as you scroll over them, usually iphone 5 etc. The persona addon deletion did not solve the issue, it may not be connected to my mozilla addons. Will get another look at it Wednesday and report back.

Posted

9 times out of 10 (have a quick google for this sort of thing to see what I mean), this is caused by an addon to your browser deciding to show some ads in this way. Best bet is to disable addons one by one and see whether it stops showing. Also do a scan of your pc for any adware you may have downloaded at some point.

It's definitely not a type of advertising we use on the forums.

thanks, disabled addons, stopped showing now,

Posted

Done it again, weird, watchers word profile, links me to an ipad 2

Edited by Gimmesomesnow

Posted

Because the adverts appearing seem to be connected with Apple products I would check to see if you have Safari on your pc and then check the settings. Chances are that if you have an Apple product connected to your pc/laptop then QuickTime and Safari will be there too. I tend not to update my Safari and don't get the problem, though not sure why BT yahoo suddenly started showing adds of 'girls' in my area - that's a talk to have with my 15yr old son I think!!