Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 09/03/13 18z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Just had a heavy shower with blowing snow, given a slight covering on the pavements - hopefully a taster of more to come later!

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

1.3 here now, getting darker

Posted

Well i'm in Normy and showing 2.4oC

1.1 now im actually in allerton bywater now, not castleford, it will drop you are south of me arent you?

Posted

1.1 now im actually in allerton bywater now, not castleford, it will drop you are south of me arent you?

Yes and dropped to 2.1oC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

0.6C in Batley, blue sky's over my house at the moment, lots of cloud to the east though!

Posted

It's already down to -1.4C here.

Snow showers flying through on wind gusting above 35mph.

Windchill is -9C

Posted

Been rather tedious radar watching so far today, hopefully things will pep up this evening after dark. I think once we lose the sun the air passing over the sea will become colder (as It's lost that heating) and allow more convection to take place. Plus colder uppers will have moved in aswell.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Hope things get more exciting later !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

First snow flurry of the day- nothing amazing yet but the radar suggests that my area is going to be in the firing line for a while now, with at least two more snow showers on a collision course for here.

Posted

Down to 1.7oC

quick drop in the last hour

Humidity 67%

what does that work out as dew point must be minus sommat????

Posted

Sun has gone in and now 0.3c! snow will certainly drift tonight! CANT WAIT

Posted

Quite heavy on and off snow/grupel showers here today with temporary coverings. Are we to expect some lying snow tonight? The met forecast reads well for our region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Very light flurrie here

Posted

Plenty of snow showers this morning and a lull this afternoon until 10 minutes ago when we had a decent one.

Showers certainly lining up now and wind increasing.Love a NE / E wind as the conservatory takes a real pounding.

Looking forward to a great nite in there tonite; snow showers, gusty wind. Aren't we sad....blum.gif

Edited by NW Leeds Russ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Mostly just a light flurry here but there was heavy blowing snow for about 30 seconds (dramatic, if short-lived), and the temperature has fallen to 0.8.

Could be an interesting evening and overnight period if I manage to catch some of the heavier showers off the North Sea!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

As usual the met office have come from flurries to light snow showers to heavy showers now!

They ALWAYS play it down until they can see the north sea potential on the day!

Headline:

Cold with snow showers, and a biting easterly wind.

This Evening and Tonight:

Snow showers will continue throughout the night with accumulations increasingly likely, especially over eastern facing high ground. It will feel exceptionally cold in the brisk easterly wind, with ice an additional hazard. Minimum Temperature -4 °C.

Monday:

Further snow showers, tending to form in bands. Some bright and sunny spells are likely between the showers but the northeasterly wind maintaining the very cold feel throughout. Maximum Temperature 1 °C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Cold, with a brisk northeasterly/northerly winds giving a marked chill. Snow showers, some heavy, will become confined to coastal areas by Thursday afternoon, with sunny spells at times.

Issued at: 1600 on Sun 10 Mar 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Few snow showers on the way back from leeds, brilliant visibility today. Fingers crossed some heavier snow showers tonight

Posted

I've noticed that until today the cap on convection was forecast by GFS to extend down to the 800hPa level, but in reality, over East Lothian it has been firmly restricted to 700hPa upwards:

http://cdn.nwstatic....tLothian-00.png

This is probably why we've seen a lot more convection over eastern Scotland than predicted.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I've noticed that until today the cap on convection was forecast by GFS to extend down to the 800hPa level, but in reality, over East Lothian it has been firmly restricted to 700hPa upwards:

http://cdn.nwstatic....tLothian-00.png

This is probably why we've seen a lot more convection over eastern Scotland than predicted.

So does this mean we could be in for a nice surprise by 10pm tonight?

Posted

I think we'll still be getting fairly hit-and-miss stuff off the North Sea with some places having as much as 5-10cm and others having just a short-lived dusting, but the implication is that tomorrow will probably be a day of sunshine and snow showers, rather than an increasingly dry cloudy day as I had predicted until yesterday.

Posted

I think we'll still be getting fairly hit-and-miss stuff off the North Sea with some places having as much as 5-10cm and others having just a short-lived dusting, but the implication is that tomorrow will probably be a day of sunshine and snow showers, rather than an increasingly dry cloudy day as I had predicted until yesterday.

Also a chance of streamers setting up or just banding of showers? Surely east of Pennines will do reasonably well tonight and tomorrow morning?!