Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 11th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Could well be Mike, not sure how far back the records go at that site. Just about as cold a late march day as is possible yesterday. Even parts of the lowland Midlands had an ice day, I have never had an ice day this far into Spring in my weather recording lifetime.

Posted

Could well be Mike, not sure how far back the records go at that site. Just about as cold a late march day as is possible yesterday. Even parts of the lowland Midlands had an ice day, I have never had an ice day this far into Spring in my weather recording lifetime.

mini ice age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

Nah just a quirk of the variable UK climate.

MInd you we ARE in an epoch of repeated Ice Age cycles and have been for the past few million years...

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Not sure why people are surprised that the UK state would rather bring the UK army out for the South East of England for 6 inches of snow.....but not care about us in North East Wales...

Unless you've not lived here long....most people arent surprised by the lack of media attention...or help

Its an age old tradition! :D ... enjoy!

Edited by Richard Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Not looking good for snow in Wales for the weekend sad.png.... will remain cold though.

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Ah but it's nice to be out the limelight.

Posted

Not looking good for snow in Wales for the weekend sad.png.... will remain cold though.

ECM looking milder and wetter

Posted

GFS all over the place re weekend, yesterday was showing 13c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Not sure why people are surprised that the UK state would rather bring the UK army out for the South East of England for 6 inches of snow.....but not care about us in North East Wales...

Unless you've not lived here long....most people arent surprised by the lack of media attention...or help

Its an age old tradition! :D ... enjoy!

It's because the SE and London is home to a lot of people. There's 14 million people in the Greater London area in comparison to 3 million in Wales. If a city the size of London gets severe weather the economic effects of this would be far greater in London than in Wales on the UK economy so it's no wonder this is the case. To be honest it's common sense. It's just a fact. Anyway lets hope we get snow in S.Wales on Friday:) it's unlikely but I wanna see 1 final snowfall b4 winter is out

Posted

Still cut off from the outside world. Flintshire Highways authority very unhelpful. Apparently being a pensioner and living 3 miles from the nearest shop doesn't mean a thing to them. Priorities are being given to things like hospitals of which there are very few in Flintshire, Schools, yeah, but its half term and old peoples homes (fair enough).

Pete

Very cold wind here again today but a bit of sun makes it feel much warmer.

Still a great deal of uncertainty for the weekend, GFS goes for a small snow event for the south, and ECM not that far off it, no major event likely though on current forecasts.

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Finally managed to dig the car out today. Local shop must have made its return for the year, pretty much stripped out. A born'n'bred villager said thesnow on a par with 62/63. What I happily thought was about 2ft lying snow somewhat deeper, as I disappeared up to my bottom in snow trying to get to the front of the house - drifts somewhat higher. Absolutely howling a howly ting outside tonight.

Posted

Still cut off from the outside world. Flintshire Highways authority very unhelpful. Apparently being a pensioner and living 3 miles from the nearest shop doesn't mean a thing to them. Priorities are being given to things like hospitals of which there are very few in Flintshire, Schools, yeah, but its half term and old peoples homes (fair enough).

Pete

I've only spotted one solitary snow plough here in Powys all winter, they seem to be an endangered species in Wales. In strong winds such as the last few days, following heavy snowfall, roads can only be kept safe through constant ploughing. I understand the argument that heavy snow is rare in Wales, so investment in snow clearing equipment would be infficient expenditure, but actually I think given the huge impact that snow in fact has on the economy then I think more consideration should be given to lessening its effects. How many times do we here "economic growth in the last quarter was lower than expected to the severe weather conditions", seems to be pretty much every year. If the whole UK GDP is being reduced by even 0.1% anually due to snow, think how many billions of pounds that amounts to As a small business owner I can testify that any snowfall has a damaging effect on my business. I love snow but I really do think we should be more prepared for it, both individually and governmentally, and investing in some snow ploughs would be a decent start!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

I've only spotted one solitary snow plough here in Powys all winter, they seem to be an endangered species in Wales. In strong winds such as the last few days, following heavy snowfall, roads can only be kept safe through constant ploughing. I understand the argument that heavy snow is rare in Wales, so investment in snow clearing equipment would be infficient expenditure, but actually I think given the huge impact that snow in fact has on the economy then I think more consideration should be given to lessening its effects. How many times do we here "economic growth in the last quarter was lower than expected to the severe weather conditions", seems to be pretty much every year. If the whole UK GDP is being reduced by even 0.1% anually due to snow, think how many billions of pounds that amounts to As a small business owner I can testify that any snowfall has a damaging effect on my business. I love snow but I really do think we should be more prepared for it, both individually and governmentally, and investing in some snow ploughs would be a decent start!

Mr. Osborne should have done something last Wednesday...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

We should gather all the members of this thread and make CymruMetOffice! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme snow rain wind

mini ice age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peirs corbyn has been talking about the mini ice age for ages........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme snow rain wind

We should gather all the members of this thread and make CymruMetOffice! tease.gif

We had a snow plough in our road on sunday and gritters they went up and down a few tmes think its because we have a cemetary attop of hill and the bin men were due on monday i was glad as it was hard to get out with snow and ice everywhere ............

Posted

Peirs corbyn has been talking about the mini ice age for ages........

So does that mean it's a coming?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Snowing heavily again and settling. meto has this as "a few snow flurries". I think of snow flurries as lightly twirling dancing snow, not buggrit let it snow chucking downie snow.

Posted

Don't know why people are surprised at snow falling in this set up. Doubtful it will amount to much and the majority will see nothing today.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Snowing lightely here sometimes moderate, leaving a sugar coated dusting and all surfaces :)

Posted

It's because the SE and London is home to a lot of people. There's 14 million people in the Greater London area in comparison to 3 million in Wales. If a city the size of London gets severe weather the economic effects of this would be far greater in London than in Wales on the UK economy so it's no wonder this is the case. To be honest it's common sense. It's just a fact. Anyway lets hope we get snow in S.Wales on Friday:) it's unlikely but I wanna see 1 final snowfall b4 winter is out

I dont buy that population excuse.....14 million/3 million/ 10 billion.....all arbituary values.

Human life is human life. For example, Families with small babies and children above the village Bwlchgwyn had to be rescued after being drifted in for 3 days without electricity......some had used up their OWN furniture just to keep warm. There is some drifting 15-20ft over some roads here.

Maybe down in Cardiff you dont hear about this, theres been very little about those stories on the media.

Edited by Richard Lewis