Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 16/3/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I have little bits if hail!!! Not much from nasty looking cloud!!!

Correction - Snow now!! blink.png That cloud is a bad one!!

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Nice to see a wintry suprise across parts of the south this morning, a good spot and heads up it was from Ian in the end then.

PPN seems to be moving very very slowly east now. Aside from a couple of small cells over Devon, its a dry but cloudy start for those of us away from the snow this morning.

Cloudy and dull here. Not expecting too much change today, maybe a bit brighter later.

Keep the pics coming those you have a whiteout this morning. Maybe more to come this week too?

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Just woke up to heavy settling snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

PPN seems to be moving very very slowly east now. Aside from a couple of small cells over Devon, its a dry but cloudy start for those of us away from the snow this morning.

Start? The day is already a third through. Where have you been? rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

On second thoughts the PPN looks to be rotating and stalling rather than moving east?

Or do I have a hangover? :p

Start? The day is already a third through. Where have you been? rofl.gif

post-12721-0-16282200-1363517010_thumb.j

:):p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Even here at just 45metres above sea level there has been snow mixed in the rain this morning.

Posted

Anyone in the Southampton area on at the moment? Very heavy cell approaching you now... would be interesting to see what falls out of that!

Most likely hail imo.

SM

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

For about half an hour between 9am and 930am, there was some of the heaviest snow I have seen falling here for some time. On the N-W radar it was orange echoes verging on red in intensity. Managed about an inch or so on all all surfaces, but turning slushy now that intensity has dropped due to minimum temperature hovering around the 1.5C mark. Nevertheless, a very impressive snowfall for this time of year. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

post-12721-0-16282200-1363517010_thumb.j

smile.pngblum.gif

A picture paints a thousand words and all that.acute.gifblum.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Gorgeous hot sunny days

Pregnant Ewes don't look too impressed with the 'Spring' weather this morning. We had just over an inch of snow in the Blackmore Vale from around 7am to 10am!post-19035-0-42720600-1363518064_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Anyone in the Southampton area on at the moment? Very heavy cell approaching you now... would be interesting to see what falls out of that!

Most likely hail imo.

SM

Been rain all morning so I wouldn't expect anything different. sad.png

Posted

Most likely hail imo.

SM

I'm from soton, but wouldn't expect that to bring much excitement to us.

This is probably the dullest City in the world for weather. What you can guarantee is that you'll see lots of light drizzle!

Edited by sclarke

Posted

This is probably the dullest City in the world for weather. What you can guarantee is that you'll see lots of light drizzle!

Did you not see the thunder and lightning yesterday evening lol? good.gif

Posted

Did you not see the thunder and lightning yesterday evening lol? good.gif

Where I am, it was a 3-4min job. couple of flashes, 2 rumbles. Must be living in the wrong area of Southampton!

Posted

Where I am, it was a 3-4min job. couple of flashes, 2 rumbles. Must be living in the wrong area of Southampton!

I have the advantage of being in a fourth floor flat and had a great view of the lightning off to the west, it lit up the sky quite spectacularly. Admittedly not much, but better than nothing. smile.png

Posted

Been rain all morning so I wouldn't expect anything different. sad.png

Well its showing a very heavy shower approaching Southampton area at the moment, just about to hit probably slap bang on the city!

Ah don't worry, Portsmouth isn't far behind!

SM

Posted

Heavier rain now, so I guess it's over us, but nothing out of the ordinary!

I have noticed before how ppn coming towards Soton from the SW often intensifies like that just to the west of the IOW. Similar thing happened with the 'thunderstorm' we had yesterday. Don't know why this is.

Edited by TropicThunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Had heavy snow here in frome in the end. Didnt settle but was nice to see. Drove 10 mins to longleat, quite bit higher up than frome and snow everywhere, winter wonderland, trees walks, even roads at one stage were covered. Went sledging with my lad, will upload pic of that later as have to get off samsung phone to pc to upload. Meantime short video of frome snow this a.m

trim.RhB7e5.MOV

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

The snow covering my neighbour's van windscreen has rolled down and formed a Swiss roll like tube of snow. Please can anyone explain how this is caused or point me to the part of the site where an explanation might be forthcoming? I know that it needs very specific conditions, but that's about the sum total of my knowledge!

post-8165-0-73915300-1363522160_thumb.jp

post-8165-0-46756500-1363522173_thumb.jp

post-8165-0-31374700-1363522186_thumb.jp

post-8165-0-43853300-1363522194_thumb.jp

Posted

The snow covering my neighbour's van windscreen has rolled down and formed a Swiss roll like tube of snow. Please can anyone explain how this is caused or point me to the part of the site where an explanation might be forthcoming? I know that it needs very specific conditions, but that's about the sum total of my knowledge!

I'll pass on that one, I can't give an explanation other than the subsequent rain and thawing along with a little bit of breeze might have helped. That truly is a stunning picture, very well done. clapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

I'll pass on that one, I can't give an explanation other than the subsequent rain and thawing along with a little bit of breeze might have helped. That truly is a stunning picture, very well done. clapping.gif

Google it! I saw an article on it about a week ago in the news saying how it needs very specific conditions and normally happens in N. America - I'll have a looky after lunch to see if I can find it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

Google it! I saw an article on it about a week ago in the news saying how it needs very specific conditions and normally happens in N. America - I'll have a looky after lunch to see if I can find it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2292052/Now-thats-real-arctic-roll-Rare-snow-tubes-form-freezing-car-windscreen.html

Posted

Thanks, George! I knew I'd seen it somewhere recently. Off to the garage to see if the paper's still in the recycling bag......good.gif