Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:00>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

My garden is ruined now because of the waterlogged conditions and all the moss on the lawn. I'm thinking of totally relaying new turf as I can't put moss killer on it (a menagerie of Guinea pigs, Tortoises, and a Duck running free) and I can't let it carry on as a marsh any longer. I've tried various drainage ideas but water just sits there on grey clay and it has become the village pond.

The patio is green (will take a lot of pressure hosing this year) and I want to get it all sorted for the BBQ season as I like to get the whole al-fresco dining experience under way as soon as it's warm and dry enough!

Umph - I sympathisesad.pngdoh.gif The garden here is mostly hard landscaped with two ponds, side borders and beds and potted plants in tubs on paved areas. At least no grass to worry about. Thus the saturation problem is reduced from that perspective. Clay soil is a nightmare - really hard work to make more porous..and expensive too in terms of buying mixers to lighten it. Good luck with all that - sounds like you will need itsmile.png I guess hopefully the gardening thread will be full of practical ideas and solutions

Posted

Morning all,

A foggy start to the morning though the sun is attempting to break through now. I must admit I'm getting pretty bored with the weather this month has given us, too many cold and cloudy days with a chilly breeze. Can't wait for the weather to warm up, though looking at the model output it probably won't be another week at the very least until we see some milder temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Saw moisture evaporating off all surfaces this morning causing ground fog to form. Quite amazing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

That's greedyblum.gif Would we have such hopes for snow in the winter?wink.png And this is coming from one who has storm jittersbiggrin.png

Yes, sr, really do hope you've got those digits back to front! But the phobias my problem and actually like reading about the passion you guys have for storms. On hot, steamy nights (bit early for that, sorry), you storm freaks, allied to the radar, are a useful guide for me, for deciding when to take cover. When storms are forecast I tend to sleep downstairs anyway, so with internet on, I switch between radar and regional thread and try and sleep if storms look like missing my locale. If we look like getting a direct hit, then its the full works, lights on, curtains closed, pillow over head and last but not least, earplugs! help.gif

Back to today, sun breaking through in Anerley SE20, after dull start. Will be so nice to post Chislehurst, BR7, in a few weeks time.

On that note, have loads to do today, re.move, as well as work.

Have a great day, all! hi.gif

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all (or is it afternoon?) :)

Fog burning off this morning created some quite stunning effects (if you were in another country and someone had told you it was the result of volcanic steam venting through the sub-surface, you'd have believed them)

There would have been great photo opportunities; it's a pity I saw a lot of while enduring the tiresome commute. :(

Posted

we sure won't empty our reservoirs this year

Walking home from work last week in the rain, I was taken aback when I heard a couple of women talking about the weather, and one of them said 'oh well, we need the rain'

I think she must have short term memory loss - or has dealt with one of the wettest summers on record by putting it to the back of her mind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

On last nights south east forecast they said

More snow next weekend

Have they got a crystal ball ?

No, one of those snow shakey thingys, with Santa and reindeer!wink.png

Tom.

Posted

Walking home from work last week in the rain, I was taken aback when I heard a couple of women talking about the weather, and one of them said 'oh well, we need the rain'

I think she must have short term memory loss - or has dealt with one of the wettest summers on record by putting it to the back of her mind!

blink.pnglaugh.png

Posted

Yes, sr, really do hope you've got those digits back to front! But the phobias my problem and actually like reading about the passion you guys have for storms. On hot, steamy nights (bit early for that, sorry), you storm freaks, allied to the radar, are a useful guide for me, for deciding when to take cover. When storms are forecast I tend to sleep downstairs anyway, so with internet on, I switch between radar and regional thread and try and sleep if storms look like missing my locale. If we look like getting a direct hit, then its the full works, lights on, curtains closed, pillow over head and last but not least, earplugs! help.gif

Back to today, sun breaking through in Anerley SE20, after dull start. Will be so nice to post Chislehurst, BR7, in a few weeks time.

On that note, have loads to do today, re.move, as well as work.

Have a great day, all! hi.gif

Regards,

Tom.

I used to have a terrible phobia of storms when I was a child (mind you, back in the 1980's/1990's the storms did seem more violent and seem to last for hours, unlike now days) to the point where I had to sleep in my parents bed or have my mum looking after me while I was sick with fear!

That said, I do still have that initial heart stopping fearful moment when I first see lightning during the night and I do run over to the light switch and put it on (much to Mr Raven's annoyance laugh.png ) - old habits die hard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Lovely day here in Lowestoft. Just been out to get some of that much needed Vitamin D.

If only, I seem to be stuck in a shower chain. Can't wait for a few sunny dry days to turn up. If it has to rain this weekend I would preffer a proper under cut with snow to plain old rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all (or is it afternoon?) smile.png

It was still morning the last time I looked .......are you jet lagged or just hung over blum.gif

Frost cleared really quickly here, fog hung around for much longer but has lifted now - not a bad day really at least it's dry and I can get out and about on my day off !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another grey, sopping wet day here, after both days of the weekend were a cold wet write off. Very bored of this, please Spring hurry and have lots of warm sunshine! Snow: get lost, come back in Dec :)

Posted

Hazy sunshine here but a v cold wind.

My front garden is very waterlogged sorry.gif

Took the dogs to the park and the water was halfway up my wellies...........awful.

Just had to bathe two very muddy dogs. One loves it, one doesn't, so had to chase him around upstairs to catch him. Mud EVERYWHERE..............bless! cray.gif

Posted

A busy day in the atmosphere above us:

LOC_20130318_0900.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm done with winter now. Either snow heavily and get it over with or warm up, the inbetween is starting to drag.

Can you tell I am getting desperate for a BBQ?

Going to Devon over Easter weekend and the forecast seems to be chucking it down with rain and sleet.

I'm thinking it might not be bikini weather.

Posted

It was still morning the last time I looked .......are you jet lagged or just hung over blum.gif

Frost cleared really quickly here, fog hung around for much longer but has lifted now - not a bad day really at least it's dry and I can get out and about on my day off !!

Neither, although I had a few pints of guinness yesterday. biggrin.png Just another boring work day here.

I've been looking at the Hi Res model here and I'm trying to work out if the next two nights will be okay for comet spotting.

These charts don't give me a lot of hope sad.png

post-11059-0-97796500-1363608475_thumb.p

post-11059-0-22034100-1363608484_thumb.p

Edited by Steve C

Posted

I'm trying to work out if the next two nights will be okay for comet spotting.

At least partially cloudy tonight (more so in your area):

18_20.gif

Not a lot better tomorrow night:

42_20.gif

Posted

Neither, although I had a few pints of guinness yesterday. biggrin.png Just another boring work day here.

I've been looking at the Hi Res model here and I'm trying to work out if the next two nights will be okay for comet spotting.

Did you enjoy the trip to the sunny Mediterranean Steve, or is that asking the obvious?tongue.png *disclaimer: she asks him this assuming that it WAS actually sunny*unsure.png

Posted

Did you enjoy the trip to the sunny Mediterranean Steve, or is that asking the obvious?tongue.png *disclaimer: she asks him this assuming that it WAS actually sunny*unsure.png

Hi, I actually went to the Canary Islands ( a place called Costa Caleta in Fuerteventura)

It was very pleasant (a range of 21C to 25C by day during the week, falling to 15-17C at night) with mostly sunny days.

I must admit that the thought of coming back from that nice comfortable heat to the (imho) dross weather I was expecting, was not a good one. In reality though, the weather wasn't too bad when I landed yesterday morning. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

This is fun ! Can't recall the last time I saw hail let alone hail as heavy and persistent as this. The garden is totally white and just had a fantastic clap of thunder just to round things off !

Posted

Wow full on hailstorm here in Sutton everything covered been going for 10 mins now no site of it stopping