Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:00>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

still recovering from Sat 6 nations win. Skies looking very interesting here in the city, looks pretty dark looking towards Waterloo/the flight path to heathrow..

Posted

After a walk around the Estate at lunchtime in brilliant sunshine and a blue sky, I can see black rain clouds around Benny Hill in all directions, so we must be the eye of the storm!

ASII_20130318_0900.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

some decent convection breaking out across london. hope those sferics move up with it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

still recovering from Sat 6 nations win. Skies looking very interesting here in the city, looks pretty dark looking towards Waterloo/the flight path to heathrow..

Ruthie,

Llongyfarchiadau ar curo'r Saesneg! Ssh! A maddau i chi am guro Eida! good.gif Nearly choked on my lunch trying to read that back! doh.gif

Thats down to google translate, sorry if its wrong.

(Poss. says, "I will not buy this bunch of leeks, they are scratched"). If you dont like Monty Python, I'm snookered!

Sorry mods, have to say fantastic victory! You saved the Bookmakers I work for, quite a bit of money. We had a fair amount of money on England for that match and for the Six Nations Ch'ship. I'm sure your hangover was worth it!

Anyway, weather looked moody again on drive into Croydon, with a few hailstones hitting the car!

But we seemed to have just avoided the Sutton/Beckenham thundery hail shower!

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Hi, I actually went to the Canary Islands ( a place called Costa Caleta in Fuerteventura)

It was very pleasant (a range of 21C to 25C by day during the week, falling to 15-17C at night) with mostly sunny days.

I must admit that the thought of coming back from that nice comfortable heat to the (imho) dross weather I was expecting, was not a good one. In reality though, the weather wasn't too bad when I landed yesterday morning. smile.png

I went to the Canaries about fifteen years ago - to the black ash volcano-ish part. Weird feeling in the middle of winter being in shorts/vest top or summer dress - especially at night timewacko.png Glad you obviously enjoyed yourselfsmile.png Welcome back to the regional English offerings of cloud, some rain and the heating still onrolleyes.gif

Posted

Weird feeling in the middle of winter being in summer dress

How do you think I felt in La Palma then? whistling.gif

Funny to see the convection getting going now, not because it was unexpected, I just never thought it would be up in the London area!

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Ruthie,

Llongyfarchiadau ar curo'r Saesneg! Ssh! A maddau i chi am guro Eida! good.gif Nearly choked on my lunch trying to read that back! doh.gif

Thats down to google translate, sorry if its wrong.

(Poss. says, "I will not buy this bunch of leeks, they are scratched"). If you dont like Monty Python, I'm snookered!

Sorry mods, have to say fantastic victory! You saved the Bookmakers I work for, quite a bit of money. We had a fair amount of money on England for that match and for the Six Nations Ch'ship. I'm sure your hangover was worth it!

Anyway, weather looked moody again on drive into Croydon, with a few hailstones hitting the car!

But we seemed to have just avoided the Sutton/Beckenham thundery hail shower!

Regards,

Tom.

You are a better man than me if you can understand or pronounce that !! haa!! England have beaten the All Blacks and won the World Cup, so I am incredibly honoured that my team beat them on Sat. What a day/evening ! Dont think my feet touched the ground from 5pm!!

The sky has taken on a sort of green tinge here in the city of London.... Looks dark to my west and light towards the east/C Wharf...

Posted

How do you think I felt in La Palma then? whistling.gif

Funny to see the convection getting going now, not because it was unexpected, I just never thought it would be up in the London area!

TMIunsure.png

http://www.meteox.co...&soort=satradar Shows the sferics

Is it a convergence zone area or something close to London?smile.png

Its sunny herecool.png

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Sat on blackheath watching that convection coming up right where im about to go. :-(

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

BBC London News emphasizing the risk of snow this weekend, they must be going with the UKMO GM undercutting low across France with the cold air finally spreading down across the SE. Actually 06z GFS has similar with perhaps a risk of snow moving in from the NE on Sunday - 850mb temps don't look spectacular but the 850-1000mb thickness of sub 128dam suggests snow possible if there's precip around.

However, the weekend is a long long way off in forecasting terms and snow or no snow I will quite happily stick with the convective showers with hail and perhaps the odd rumble of thunder over the next few days.

Posted

Is it a convergence zone area or something close to London?smile.png

post-6667-0-09450300-1363616021_thumb.jp post-6667-0-89352500-1363616014_thumb.jp

Posted

Ah I see, its wind flow created by the speeding traffic on the M25 that is spawning the convectionsmile.png Thanks for the clarificationsmile.png

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

Ah I see, its wind flow created by the speeding traffic on the M25 that is spawning the convectionsmile.png Thanks for the clarificationsmile.png

There was a convergence zone modelled earlier, it was almost spot on!

gfs_layer_eur9.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I've been researching the comet's location (as I'm having a really busy work day... smile.png )

The combination of the map shown in this BBC news story: http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21701641

together with this sky map resource: http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/ (it's best to populate the 'horizon views' section with a latitude 51 or 52 degrees north and 0 degrees west or east, and a viewpoint of west remembering also to change the time to 19:30 or thereabouts this evening and updating the map)

all means that it'll be a really hard spot. The comet will be very close to the horizon just as it gets dark and will 'set' shortly afterwards. With time it's position becomes more favourable for viewing, but the BBC article reads like it won't be visible without powerful instruments very shortly. sad.png

I'll try and spot it tonight, but with the cloud cover forecast, I'm not hopeful. sad.png Oh well!

Posted

There was a convergence zone modelled earlier, it was almost spot on!

gfs_layer_eur9.png

Yes its doing what it suggests on the tinsmile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I went to the Canaries about fifteen years ago - to the black ash volcano-ish part. Weird feeling in the middle of winter being in shorts/vest top or summer dress - especially at night timewacko.png Glad you obviously enjoyed yourselfsmile.png Welcome back to the regional English offerings of cloud, some rain and the heating still onrolleyes.gif

Heating will be off now till late in the Autumn, unless it becomes as cold as last Monday, or I have guests. Warm clothing for me now; my last power bill annoyed me. ohmy.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Lovely and sunny here ,temp 13 .I have my washing on the line for the first time in 2013 :)

Posted

I should turn the heating off really - but with a house that has four storeys and is rather old it gets chilly quickly unless you stay in the conservatory all the time. Which isn't entirely practical. Exactly this time last week it looked like this:

post-18450-0-64693100-1363616917_thumb.j

Its seems so long ago now somehow..

Posted

BBC look east at lunchtime are already talking about the possibility of snow next weekend..! Thats not like them. lol