Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:30>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Big fat flakes now and fairly heavy, cars and grass are already covered and is now sticking to the ground. I totally didn't expect this tonight, I thought it would be all rain here blum.gif

seems to be colder in the west tonight.

We managed a dusting on cars and grass but its back to sleet and rain!

Aye, it's heavy wet no here. In a way it's quite nice, it's like being back in Kilmacolm on a dark November night with the sound of the rain lashing down on the windows :good:

Posted

Aye, it's heavy wet no here. In a way it's quite nice, it's like being back in Kilmacolm on a dark November night with the sound of the rain lashing down on the windows :good:

True! Finding it a huge (expected) change snow wise living here rather than killie. I've been in the new house for a month with 3 or 4 notable snow falls and snow on the ground for the last 8 days - killie has had one which lasted a mere few hours on th ground!

True! Finding it a huge (expected) change snow wise living here rather than killie. I've been in the new house for a month with 3 or 4 notable snow falls and snow on the ground for the last 8 days - killie has had one which lasted a mere few hours on th ground!

My only gripe with the epic snowfall we had back in January was that we only moved in the day before, so had the whole house to unpack and sort which stopped full enjoyment of the snow. I didn't really get out in it as much as I should have done, so fingers crossed for something even a quarter as good as that snow this time round.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

the ECM wasnt too good tonight but even if that verified then it would give us a good frontal event later in the week

post-18233-0-14754900-1363564807_thumb.ppost-18233-0-47273400-1363564812_thumb.ppost-18233-0-05234000-1363564810_thumb.ppost-18233-0-37273800-1363564816_thumb.gpost-18233-0-58922600-1363564815_thumb.g

Posted

the following pics are from the bbc weather site for 3am and 6am they want to bring snow through wonder if its whats going into mortheast england which dropped snow further south earlier

post-18233-0-14847200-1363565457_thumb.ppost-18233-0-93010600-1363565481_thumb.p

Posted

18z fax chart for tomorrow evening

post-18233-0-41682600-1363567274_thumb.g

Posted

just watched weatherview and we were plastered from monday evening right through tuesday then he showed it cloudy after that so might not be much melt then he said chance again of further snow up here friday and into the weekend as a front moves up into the colder air

Edited by Buriedundersnow

just watched weatherview and we were plastered from monday evening right through tuesday then he showed it cloudy after that so might not be much melt then he said chance again of further snow up here friday and into the weekend as a front moves up into the colder air

Round Two to come? That's good for March laugh.png

We've been up since 4am, Mrs Catch is working at 6am sad.png

Strong wind here, the precip is still just rain with a few splats of sleet. All forecasts seem set for snow so fingers crossed good.gif

Currently 2.3ºC/0.5ºC

Edited by CatchMyDrift

FAX chart for midnight tonight, there's going to be some snow, still a slight concern at higher dewpoints in the south but further north will be fine :good:

post-2844-0-12606300-1363588963_thumb.gi

Posted

Latest Met text really hinting at this event tonight/tomorrow being marginal lower down and near the coast. I'm not convinced yet that even my very modest height will be enough. Will be disappointed if this turns into a sleet festival.

Posted

Temps are pretty high so far.Last night was a disaster.Hope we get something tonight.

Posted

Latest Met text really hinting at this event tonight/tomorrow being marginal lower down and near the coast. I'm not convinced yet that even my very modest height will be enough. Will be disappointed if this turns into a sleet festival.

Yes, for the Central Belt southwards, although even much of the lower ground should see something I think. Up here the MO text suggests the risk of drifting snow at all levels. Certainly an interesting 36 hours or so coming up.

Posted

Temps are pretty high so far.Last night was a disaster.Hope we get something tonight.

Indeed. Current temp is 2c higher than forecast here.

Indeed. Current temp is 2c higher than forecast here.

What forecast are you looking at? My current temp is slightly below the forecast. Temperatures should fall away once the colder uppers move in, this should happen in the next few hours :)

Posted

Yeah, not confident here at all, suspect you'll be ok out there though. Lets hope it's not more grey wet cold pish that we had all weekend

Posted

What forecast are you looking at? My current temp is slightly below the forecast. Temperatures should fall away once the colder uppers move in, this should happen in the next few hours :)

Posted

Latest text forecast for Central, Tayside and Fife:

Tonight:

Further snow, heaviest over Angus, Dundee, Fife, heavy falls with blizzard conditions on high ground. Accumulations and drifting even on low ground. Strong to gale northeasterly winds. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Tuesday:

Very cold with further snow on Tuesday, significant accumulations, though sleety for a time on Fife coast. The snow easing later, as the strong easterly winds slowly decrease. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

This is going to be very special. 15cm widely on low ground I think! clapping.gif

Edited by sn0wman

Posted

Yeh I have to agree. This could be very special. Possibility of short period slightly warmer air to the south but this may move or change.

Latest MO warning a huge upgrade in my eyes..,

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

Change Region

Yellow Alert of Snow19 Mar 2013, 00:05

Issued at - 18 Mar 2013, 05:29

Valid from - 19 Mar 2013, 00:05

Valid to - 19 Mar 2013, 23:59

During Tuesday an area of sleet and snow over Scotland will move south into parts of Northern England and Northern Ireland. Ice will also be a hazard.

Over Northern Ireland and Northern England snow accumulations are likely mainly above 200 m, where 5 - 10 cm is possible. Over eastern Scotland there could be 15 cm even at low levels, with drifting possible in strong to gale force easterly winds, and 30 cm or more above 400 m.

The public should be aware that some disruption to travel may well develop, and depending on subsequent information, this warning may be upgraded to amber across eastern Scotland

The public is advised to take extra care, further information and advice can be found here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

The rain has turned to light snow now, not lying yet. Could this be the beginning?

The wind direction seems to have changed quite a bit in the past couple of hours. The precip now seems to be moving from a direction slightly north of east, which is good. Far better than from the south-east :)

The rain has turned to light snow now, not lying yet. Could this be the beginning?

Aye, sod it, let's start going mental :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Dewpoints still in the 0 - 2 degree range on the 0800 surface plot. No worries though that North Sea Cavalry is on its way..

Posted

Dull start to the day and temperature has fallen from 2c to 1c in the last two hours. Currently dry with a moderate NE wind

Posted

Stil light rain here but just passed the gritters depot where a line if 7 or 8 are being filled and ready to get out on the roads. Temps must be beginning to fall off ;)